Are people getting bored with EV?

I know people are trying, but I think EV has been spent. All people talk about now is how to dominate Earth, or get an Alien Cruiser, or help a newbie. It just seems as though EV has given all it's got and then some, and it's been a great game. I haven't played it in months, and I haven't even been to this board in months either. I just got bored. It's not that EV isn't a great game, it is, and it's held up well over all these years. It just doesn't have any play value left in it. I've beaten all the missions in all the good plug ins and I've tried making some plug ins of my own and failed. Today, I officially say goodbye to the great game of Escape Velocity.

Dramatic, huh? I'd love to receive some feedback on what everyone thinks.

------------------
Luca Rescigno
"And may not every one of the stars or suns have as great a retinue of planets with moons to wait upon them as has our own Sun?"
-Christiaan Huygens

I agree...
Ambrosia just hasn't released a good game for a long time...
They just don't match up to games by big software companies...

------------------
"Your attack has been rendered harmless.
It is, however, quite pretty"

Originally posted by Cap'n Hector Must DIE!!!:
**I agree...
Ambrosia just hasn't released a good game for a long time...
They just don't match up to games by big software companies...

If their games weren't good, then they'd probably have been gone a long time ago.

------------------
A computer without Windows is like a fish without a bycicle

Originally posted by Micah L:
**If their games weren't good, then they'd probably have been gone a long time ago.

No one is saying EV is not a good game. It's just that it is missing somthing, like a multiplayer feature, but it seems no one is willing to take on such a proyect due to either lack of manpower, knowledge, or what the hell do I know.

------------------
Justice is lost
Justice is raped
Justice is gone
Pulling your strings
Justice is done

[http://www.metallica.com](http://www.metallic<br />
a.com)

Haha, thats funny. You haven't played EV in the past few months? I know for sure I haven't played it so far this year, and I can't say that I have any memories of playing it during 1999. Truth be told, I just got addicted to the game, then gave up on it, but stayed active in the community for the hell of it. I seriously doubt that most of the "oldies" still play EV; it is getting a little old. I'd trade my Kestrel in for a Wraith ANY day. 🙂

------------------
EVula
(url="http://"mailto:evula@evula.com")mailto:evula@evula.com(/url)evula@evula.com

And you're the leader of the webring. That's despicable. 😉

I still play EV. Well, I test my plug with it. It's become more of a tester lately, I must say. Oh well, Nova will be out soon, hopefully. And so will a few other plugs. Maybe. Mine will at least.

------------------
I have an 87% chance of blowing up and covering the world in a green/blue gel that eats away at trees until they turn into little fluffy things called care bears that are really annoying - GreenYO, #ev.

AOL/AIM: EVmaridian

Publicity Stunt: Galactic Federation is a total conversion plug for EVO. Wait for it.

Start making your own plug-ins. That way you can add what you think is missing from the game and make it more interesting. The only time I still play EV is to test Satori Station or Cobalt Project or another plug-in I'm working on.

------------------
"You can make something idiot proof, but someone else can make a better idiot"

AIM/AOL-Nador26

Yahoo Messenger-OctoberFost

(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/OctoberFost")http://www.geocities.com/OctoberFost(/url)

I think it has been played for too long. The way to spice up the game is to get plug-ins. When you outplay one, get another. Do that until you are bored of all of them (No way that will happen) Another way to get it to be interesting is to stop playing for a while.

------------------
I did really good on my driver's exam. I knocked down all the cones.

I'm not. I play almost every day.

One way to keep it interesting is "Strict Play"; another is to play different plugs as different characters. Be a trader, or a pirate, or a Bounty Hunter. Start from scratch and try to make the choices that character would make. Good plugs give you a number of different options; using them requires wit and imagination. You can no more "beat them" than you can "conquer" a good play or novel.

Another way to keep it interesting is to modify or optimize each plug as you gain experience with it. Foolish players will do things to make it easier; wiser players know that strong enemies make the game more fun. This is also a good way to learn how plugs work and how to use the plug-making tools which are available.

Finally, try writing your own plugs. It's harder than it looks. Don't start with a 20MB total replacement -- try just ten good missions. That's where most plugs fall apart -- Gee whiz graphics and whiz bang sounds, but no plot.

I'm going back to Bounty Plus now, my pirate character Beezlebub is raising hell in Rebel space in a TigerShark.

T.O.P.

------------------
"Good mathematics is not how many answers you know,
but how you behave when you don't know the answer."

The Old Professor Houston, Texas

OK, first you need to be careful how to take the question.

Is EV obsolete & past its prime? Yes in a sense, EVO (especially with the upcoming development of 1.0.2, that will be one of the largest updates to the engine ever), Ares, Exobattle, and other games made since its release take the EV concept to a higher level.

Is EV boring? Is it a trite game?

I think the answer to both those questions is a resounding no. I offer an example.

Who's ever played Pac-man before? Or the very first Super Mario Brothers? Are they obsolete and past their time? Obviously yes. Are they still fun to play? Are they still classics that live on? Yes. I say without a doubt that EV is no different from these.

Some say EV is dead, but in the sense I'm talking about it isn't.

To this day I find EV a fun game to play. As long as a game is enjoyable, it lives on. When you think about it, EV is a huge success. What other game (besides EVO) has dozens upon dozens of plugs to expand its capabilites to the farthest reaches, some of which create entire new galaxies to explore?

None of the fancy games you'll find from "big" software companies have that. EV is unique from all of the big names, and in my opinion is usually more fun.

In this way, EV is a highly successful game. In my mind it has made its mark as a classic, and it will continue to hold such status.

UEC

------------------

sniff How touching. sniff

------------------
I have an 87% chance of blowing up and covering the world in a green/blue gel that eats away at trees until they turn into little fluffy things called care bears that are really annoying - GreenYO, #ev.

AOL/AIM: EVmaridian

Publicity Stunt: Galactic Federation is a total conversion plug for EVO. Wait for it.

Yes, it's a fun game, if you try to make it one, but games such as Q3, R6, starcraft
and diablo 2 are much better...

------------------
"Your attack has been rendered harmless.
It is, however, quite pretty"

Originally posted by Cap'n Hector Must DIE!!!:

**Yes, it's a fun game, if you try to make it one, but games such as Q3, R6, starcraft

and diablo 2 are much better...

Jeez, did you understand ANYTHING that UEC said?

------------------
"You can make something idiot proof, but someone else can make a better idiot"

AIM/AOL-Nador26

Yahoo Messenger-OctoberFost

(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/OctoberFost")http://www.geocities.com/OctoberFost(/url)

Originally posted by EVula:
**Haha, thats funny. You haven't played EV in the past few months? I know for sure I haven't played it so far this year, and I can't say that I have any memories of playing it during 1999. Truth be told, I just got addicted to the game, then gave up on it, but stayed active in the community for the hell of it. I seriously doubt that most of the "oldies" still play EV; it is getting a little old. I'd trade my Kestrel in for a Wraith ANY day.:)

Yeah I stopped playing it...I haven't touched it in a year..And touched it once last year....

(quote)Originally posted by OctoberFost:
**(QUOTE)Originally posted by Cap'n Hector Must DIE!!!:

(b)

Jeez, did you understand ANYTHING that UEC said?
**(/quote)
R6=Rainbow6
Q3=Quake III

UE Crusader said:

"What other game (besides EVO) has dozens upon dozens of plugs to expand its capabilites to the farthest reaches, some of which create entire new galaxies to explore? None of the fancy games you'll find from "big" software companies have that. EV is unique from all of the big names, and in my opinion is usually more fun."

pardon? anyone ever hear of a great little game called myth (and myth II, both by Bungie, a "big" software company)? Myth II was released three or four years ago, and has thousands of available plug-ins, which do "create entire new galaxies". If ya don't believe me check out mill.bungie.org , the Myth I and II online plug-in archive.

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
**I know people are trying, but I think EV has been spent. All people talk about now is how to dominate Earth, or get an Alien Cruiser, or help a newbie. It just seems as though EV has given all it's got and then some, and it's been a great game. I haven't played it in months, and I haven't even been to this board in months either. I just got bored. It's not that EV isn't a great game, it is, and it's held up well over all these years. It just doesn't have any play value left in it. I've beaten all the missions in all the good plug ins and I've tried making some plug ins of my own and failed. Today, I officially say goodbye to the great game of Escape Velocity.

EV is suposed to have lots of replay value due to plug-ins, but most plug-ins are of super ships or weapons that kill Alien Cruisers in three seconds or missions that give you 100 million credits for killing a shuttle. (Okay, so that's a bit mutch, but I'm close) We need good plugs!

------------------

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
**I know people are trying, but I think EV has been spent. All people talk about now is how to dominate Earth, or get an Alien Cruiser, or help a newbie. It just seems as though EV has given all it's got and then some, and it's been a great game. I haven't played it in months, and I haven't even been to this board in months either. I just got bored. It's not that EV isn't a great game, it is, and it's held up well over all these years. It just doesn't have any play value left in it. I've beaten all the missions in all the good plug ins and I've tried making some plug ins of my own and failed. Today, I officially say goodbye to the great game of Escape Velocity.

EV is suposed to have lots of replay value due to plug-ins, but most plug-ins are of super ships or weapons that kill Alien Cruisers in three seconds or missions that give you 100 million credits for killing a shuttle. (Okay, so that's a bit mutch, but I'm close) We need good plugs!

------------------

Bah. Games like Diablo aren't space age games, EV and EVO are. And I think they're more fun.

Starcraft might be great, I wouldn't know because I've never played it. I doubt it has plug-in capability though.

OctoberFrost.....if you can't understand what I said, work on your Reading Comprehension skills. They're important for taking SATs. j/k

UEC

------------------

I'm not sick of it.
I've been playing for a long, long, long time. Infact, I've probably played longer then some of the people that call themselves 'oldies'. I just don't come here as often as I should. And if plugs are what you want, I've got several in the works at the moment. One of them, Varen Shant 1 is in beta production (or waiting for the testers to finish).
Outpost Beta, my organisation of a group of developers, is hopefully going to be turning out some good quality plugs.
I agree with the Old Professor. If you make new pilots then you have a more exciting game. I've got over a hundred, count them, pilots on my computer. Haven't a clue what my plans were anymore, but they're there. Instead of buy the ships and outfits you'd normally buy try something different.
And as for the people who think that EV is too boring, tried Override or some plugs? I'll let you in on a secret, Outpost Beta is working on a Total Conversion as I'm writing this. It might be primarily for Override, but I'll make a EV version as well. I'll keep you posted.

Anyway.

Cheers.

------------------
Dreadnought/Zornelle
dreadnought@angelfire.com
Could Somebody Dim The Sun? It's Too Bright