Which is better: The Lightning or the Rapier?

Ok than...
i prefer the Rapier...

why? first of all it looks cooler than the Lightning...
although the Lightning is faster than the Rapier speed of 300 is enough to be safe from the Missiles...and if you are careful and be pation my guess is you can take down the fed cruiser...

U C i've taken 3 Kestrals in dog fight with the Rapier(only few upgrades been done) how i did was that i've sold the ol' heavy rocket and bought a proto turret and buy loads of proto turret and missiles..(don't forget to buy missile luncher) and sold all my torpidos...

now....one more thing left....

even it's a dog fight, if you are running into the enemy such as Kestral you are going to do nothing but the kill yourself...you have to wait to them to use all their ammo and you start to fire your missiles... but make sure that you don't use it too much....you never know what'll jump into the space where you are...and when you done enough damage(i'll leave it to you to judge how many damage is enough... :redface:) ) speed yourself to about the same speed as your enemy and you circle around it facing the enemy and let the guns do the damage to the enemy...(actually your turret won't do such a damage to enemy...but it helps to take them down faster...)

are you satisfied with this? if not send me an e-mail ok?

addict_games@hotmail.com

The avenger....

Lightnings suck. They are far too light wieght. Think EV's equivalent of the emalgha fighter.

Anyone who wants to , or has the talent can quickly become expert at flying the rapier, indeed, with sufficient practise you will become skilled enough to disable confed cruisers and even ( although I think this was a fluke ) the alien cruiser( I did get blown to smeg by its' fighters mind you so I'm not that cocky.) whereas, in my attempts to do the same with a lightning, I foun that it had great difficulty surving against the cruiser and that after less than a minute, the alien cruiser slagged me. therefore I repeat lighnings suck rapiers kick ass !!!!!!.

I'm not fat, I'm big boned, BEEEEEFFCAAAKKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

πŸ™‚

Master Robinton

------------------
John Browning
Aspiring plug developer

I say the Rapier is better. The speed is worth nothing if you get nailed by a torpedo. A torpedo or two could knock out a lightning while it takes a couple more to defeat a rapier. This means that you can get away by jumping if someone jumps in and starts spewing torps at you. The Rapier against the lightning? Th Rapier would win because it is stronger. I say the Corvette is better than the both of them and the Kestral is better than them all. πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„

mista' ue crusader, i'd have to say the rapier. It is the chosen ship of the obnoxios yet powerful cap'n hector. lightnings are good too, but you cant argue with the cap'n (this goes for cap'n crunch as well).

------------------
dont hurt the confed but board the dead

Originally posted by forge:
**Yoda wrote:

The Lightning can have 5 guns and 0 turrets.
The Rapier can have 4 guns and 1 turret.

But don't forget that the placement of a turret for the Rapier is in the rear quadrant. Also, it's a moot point for expansion because you can't sell the REAR FIRING laser turret that is already there.

Hence:
The Lightning can have 5 guns and 0 turrets.
The Rapier can have 4 guns and 0 turrets for expansion.**

How do you sell the aft turret if they arent sold in ev?

------------------

Originally posted by Rimmer:
**Speed really does count lots. I mean, er into a system as say, a Ligh Freighter, and a Prate in a Lightning chop you inte bits before you can stop and get out. Where as the Ray take longer et to you.Those strike attacks that the Fighter AI does are a real chopper, especially if there's two of the little brats.

The great fun is having a particle beam and pushing the mongrels back away from you! heh, heh.

Ace smeg-head Rimmer.**

Consult Merriam Webster about your spelling.

------------------

Originally posted by Andrew M:
** <font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial" color="808BAD">UE Crusader wrote:
**I'd appreciate everyone's opinion on this. The Lightning has very good speed and a combo of missiles and heavy rockets, while the Rapier has more shielding and overall firepower potential.

Of course, It'd help if you said why you think one or the other is better. πŸ™‚

Thoughts? **</font>

J'aime la rapičre meilleure, mais je préfčre la Corvette. Et je ne vois pas ce qui est erroné avec parler dans des langues étrangčres.**

Hey mieguel, english porfavor.

------------------

Originally posted by mx big kestrel:

Consult Merriam Webster about your spelling.

I wouldn't talk...

------------------
"The toilet is over there!"

-Stalin at the Yalta Confrence, denouncing one of Churchill's ideas.

AOL/AIM-Nador26

Yahoo Messenger-OctoberFost

(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/octoberfost")http://www.geocities.com/octoberfost(/url)

Originally posted by mx big kestrel:
Hey mieguel, english porfavor.

It was French, not Spanish. AND it was posted 4 months ago. πŸ˜› It was basically saying that the Rapier is better, but I prefer the Corvette.

------------------
OpenGL Avara!

AIM: EVAndrewM

Confucious say; "Man who stand on toilet is high on pot."

(This message has been edited by Andrew M (edited 04-19-2000).)

Rapier is better by far. The Lightning gets hit my almsot any weapon and you no longer have a lightning. If they were in a group they would be strong but who has ever heard of a group of lightnings? A group could also be wiped out by a few seconds of a particle beam. How do you change these stupid signatures???. I created mine a few hours ago and I realized that it was stupid and also misspelled. Help please!!

------------------
When it somes within
range, hit it with the
rock!

Rapier is better by far. The Lightning gets hit my almsot any weapon and you no longer have a lightning. If they were in a group they would be strong but who has ever heard of a group of lightnings? A group could also be wiped out by a few seconds of a particle beam. How do you change these stupid signatures???. I created mine a few hours ago and I realized that it was stupid and also misspelled. Help please!! :mad: πŸ˜• :mad: πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„

------------------
When it somes within
range, hit it with the
rock!

The Rapier and the Lightning are very different kinds of ships. So it depends (I've read these words on this topic a dozens of times.) what you (as ship a player flies) want to achieve or (with an AI controlled ship) what ship you fly.
If a player in ,say a courier gets agains a Rapier or a Lightning, it has less chance escaping the Lightning than escaping the Rapier). This because of the excellent speed of the Lightning, and the swift missiles. Fleeing a Rapier is on the whole easier than fleeing a Lightning, but attacking is a different case. When attacking, the Rapier is harder to get: though a Lightning can flee from almost every ship safely, ships flee only if they are near disabling (unless it is a virtually unarmed ship). Put it this way: the Rapier has better armor and can have more weapons, but the Lightning can avoid missiles better and can take you unprepared in a swift attack (if you have a small ship).

---I fight the Evil that surrounds me, seek the shadows in the Night,
and will preserve all that is right.---

What good is woosing out if the enemy is shooting torpedos at you?? The lightning may be fast but all ships have to slow down and stop to get into hyperspace. When you stop, the torpedo catches up and you weakened ship is no longer. I say go with the Rapier because it can take a few blows while dishing out several. And how can you say you can get away from a Rapier?? The torps would catch your ship and disable/destroy it before you got out. πŸ†’

------------------
What is your name? King Arthur
What is your quest? I seek the Holy Grail
What is the footspeed
of a swallow? African or European?
What? I don't know that!!
AHHHHHHH!

Originally posted by Desert Fox:
What is the footspeed
of a swallow?

I believe it's 'What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?'

------------------
OpenGL Avara!

AIM: EVAndrewM

I can bend minds with my 10 LB. SLEDGEHAMMER!!!

Although I don't actually have an opinion--outside of the fact that, in my ship of choice, I'd rather be fighting a Rapier, because I'm a great fan of Monty Python and Rapiers won't even touch you---I'd like to make a brief rebuttal to Desert Fox; torpedoes are very easy to outrun, and if you're about to enter hyperspace while running away (I should think this is obvious) you just give yourself enough of a headstart, so the long-range weapons can't reach you before you take off. Nary a scratch.
-Neutronic

------------------
There is a fine line between having an attitude problem and thinking clearly.

Originally posted by Desert Fox:
**What good is woosing out if the enemy is shooting torpedos at you?? The lightning may be fast but all ships have to slow down and stop to get into hyperspace. When you stop, the torpedo catches up and you weakened ship is no longer. I say go with the Rapier because it can take a few blows while dishing out several. And how can you say you can get away from a Rapier?? The torps would catch your ship and disable/destroy it before you got out.πŸ†’

I'm sorry if I am contradicting my self, but today I served as a mercenary for lethe and cydonia and i now know that while you can disable a lightning with 3 missiles, a rapier is toast with two torpedos and a missile. Now technically that means that the rapier is stronger but I just wanted to state that I have confirmed that the rapier is a bit on the weak side too.
-mista mx

------------------
How to make a mess
By mista mx
Put 1 un punctured hot dog in micro wave. Set Timer on 5 minutes. Watch as the hot dog grows and bubbles. Minutes later you'll have your very own personal exploding hot dog. For other helpful kitchen hints (url="http://"mailto:TXavier504@aol.com")mailto:TXavier504@aol.com(/url)TXavier504@aol.com

Of course they're both a bit on the weak side, you silly knobbler. They're light fighters.
-Neutronic

------------------

Originally posted by Neutronic:
**Of course they're both a bit on the weak side, you silly knobbler. They're light fighters.
-Neutronic

Actually, neither of them are light fighters. The Lightning is a fighter-bomber, which means that it has heavy weaponry (note rockets) but bad defensive capabilities. The Rapier is a heavy fighter, which means it has good offensive and defensive systems but low maneuverability. Both can perform well when upgraded, but I must say that they're both not my style. I'd go for the Fulcrum from FB.

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

AIM: obormot345

Only operating on memory alone. Haven't watched Monty Python for at least two years. Yes I will admit that a headstart will outdistance you from torps. It is easier than I thought. But the Rapier is better than the lightning. I prefer one of the bigger ships but they aren't part of this.

------------------
Pure insanity calling. Will you answer?

Desert Fox--I wasn't refering to the actual British comedy team. 'Monty Python' is a maneuver where you fly backwards and hit your opponent while keeping just out of their range.

Obormont--my apologies. I wasn't using the term 'light fighter' in the technical sense, but more in the sense of "it's lighter than a capital ship, and it's a fighter". πŸ˜‰ My military vocabulary is pathetic, I know. But any ship that small (excusing, of course, alien fighters and the like) most likely will not have extensive shields or armor. It was late, what can I say. πŸ™‚
-Neutronic

------------------