Making Plugs

How do you make a plug, does it take very very long?, do you have to be a computer programing genius or a high school freshman with a C average?, can you just modify a plug all ready made?

Please tell me the answers of these questions if you know them...I've got an idea and would like to work on it...and on my past posts dont think I suck at the game its just that I've got little patience when making money and blasting EVERY DAMN THING IN SIGHT JUST FOR THE PLEASURE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHA........

thank you

------------------
Mess with the best , Die
like the rest..

Plugin making is easy - just mind-bogglingly time consuming.

Some intelligence and mathematical knowledge helps, plus high creativity and writing ability.

Modfiying existing plugins or creating new plugins that take stuff from existing ones is a big no-no - do creative work for your plugin yourself.

Avoiding run-on sentences and speaking/writing good English really helps, too.

------------------
"Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

all files are in the files page of EV website that you need to creat a Plugin. Some are easier then others, but it is your own prefrence. It takes along time. Alot of creativity is needed. Copying others isn't that best idea, it is better to use your own ideas.

Math is recommend if you are going to do it the hard way.

That is about it I guess, nothing else since I have kinda quit it and switched to UO

------------------
Evil will always triamph over good... because good is dumb.

(for those that play UO, fill in chaos with evil, and order with good 🙂 )

While I agree with ColdFusion and Tor_of_chaos that you should be creative and use your own ideas, not someone elses when releasing a plug, there is a point that modifing other people's plugs is actually good. You know, first make a copy of their plug to save the original, then you can edit their plug, only do this to learn how things work though. It is an excellent way to learn as you can see what happens when you change different values.

As for the tools you will need, I think they are all in the addon's section. You need res-edit, the EV/O bibles, a graphics program for making your own pictures, and patience because it takes a long time to make a good plug. It's like writing a story, but you have to write different outcomes and make it all fit together so there isn't any gap in the plot.

Chamrin

Thank you all, thats all I needed to know.

------------------
Mess with the best , Die
like the rest..

I've been thinking of writing a plug-in, too. What about all those big, scary words like "3D editor" and "Schmelta V" and so on? Do I need to give that any thought?
-Neutronic

------------------
There is a fine line between having an attitude problem and thinking clearly.

Essentially, you only need a 3D editor if you're going to make graphics such as ships. Schmelta V is a very good mission editor. It also edits dudes and person, I believe. Or fleets and persons. Or something like that.

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

AIM: obormot345

dryly terribly informative, thank you.
-Neutronic

------------------

Originally posted by Neutronic:
**dryly terribly informative, thank you.
-Neutronic

Are you referring to my post, Neutronic? Ok, sorry for not being informative. Let me explain. ResEdit with EV Bible or EVO Annotated Bible for everything but missions and whatever else Schmelta edits. Possibly Resorcerer with the Annotated Templates. If you want to add new ship, landing, and maybe outfit graphics, you'll need a 3D editor. Is that informative enough? 🙂

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

(This message has been edited by Obormot (edited 04-20-2000).)

absolutely. hope you didn't take offense, by the way--I was just being my usual charming self. 😉
-Neutronic

------------------

Oh, by the way. If you want to make some plugins, my recommendation is that you play many of the good plugs out there (of course), and when you see some cool feature, go in with ResEdit, and see how it's done. Some of these plug developers are very, very creative.

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

(This message has been edited by Obormot (edited 04-21-2000).)