EV Causes My Computer to Freeze.

I've been playing EV for about a month, and I got to tell ya, I'm addicted. I have one problem though. I play this game ALL day. If I play the game for a number of hours at a time (4-5), and quit, it causes my computer to hang, and I have to force quit the game. Does anyone have any suggestions?

------------------
Chris

chrisp1468 wrote:
**I've been playing EV for about a month, and I got to tell ya, I'm addicted. I have one problem though. I play this game ALL day. If I play the game for a number of hours at a time (4-5), and quit, it causes my computer to hang, and I have to force quit the game. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Try increasing the memory.

------------------
It depends on the defintion of "is" is.

Thanks. I'll try that to see if it works.

------------------
"Let it go. If it comes back, it was meant to be. If it doesn't, HUNT IT DOWN, AND KILL IT!!!"

That happens to me, too - that's why I play EVO instead.

------------------
"Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

Well, I increased the memory allocation, and it still freezes. Only this time, I can't force quit the game. I have to turn the computer off. Do you have any other suggestions (besides not playing the game for that long 🙂 )? I would appreciate it.

BTW, why does the Confed's attack me while I'm in the Turin system? I didn't do anything wrong. Is it because I just happen to be in Rebellion space at that time?

------------------
"Let it go. If it comes back, it was meant to be. If it doesn't, HUNT IT DOWN, AND KILL IT!!!"

chrisp1468 wrote:
**Well, I increased the memory allocation, and it still freezes. Only this time, I can't force quit the game. I have to turn the computer off. Do you have any other suggestions (besides not playing the game for that long:) )? I would appreciate it.

BTW, why does the Confed's attack me while I'm in the Turin system? I didn't do anything wrong. Is it because I just happen to be in Rebellion space at that time?

Sorry that did not work. I do not know what to say. At least I can answer one of your questions. If you have a rating of Good Egg or above in a Rebel system the Confeds will atack you. My suggestion to that is to kill them all. Contacted Ambrosia through e-mail. They might tell you what to do with your computer. Good luck.

------------------
It depends on what the defintion of "is" is.

-Bill Clinton

What speed computer do you have? When was the last time you defragged the HD? Are you using any large plugins? What else is running at the same time? Are you using virtual memory?

~S~

------------------
Small animal kamikaze attack on power supplies

Could I have an order of Discboard with that?

The speed of my computer is 333MHz. I am using Virtual Memory, and I'm using the Galactic Scourge plugin (it is pretty big). I guess it's the plugin. I don't want to stop using the plugin because of the graphics and the new missions.

When the Confeds do attack me, I destroy them. In fact, I destroy anything that attacks me, Rebels or Confeds. My legal status for the Confeds is Fugitive since I destroy any Confed ship that shoots at me, and the missions for the Rebels I accept.

How do you defrag the HD for a Mac? I know about Windows (yuk!). What program do I use?

------------------

Virtual Memory is your problem. I experienced it at first, but then turned it off and switched to real ram. RAM is what you need, that is why you are crashing. That plugin is huge, so the larger the plug, the more RAM you need.

I have never Defrag my computer, and have no problems of anysort. I guess I am just lucky.

------------------
Evil will always triamph over good... because good is dumb.

(for those that play UO, fill in chaos with evil, and order with good 🙂 )

chrisp1468 wrote:
**The speed of my computer is 333MHz. I am using Virtual Memory, and I'm using the Galactic Scourge plugin (it is pretty big). I guess it's the plugin. I don't want to stop using the plugin because of the graphics and the new missions.

When the Confeds do attack me, I destroy them. In fact, I destroy anything that attacks me, Rebels or Confeds. My legal status for the Confeds is Fugitive since I destroy any Confed ship that shoots at me, and the missions for the Rebels I accept.

How do you defrag the HD for a Mac? I know about Windows (yuk!). What program do I use?

What is your total memory and how much have you allocated to EV. We made most of Galactic Scourge with a PPC 250 (then converted to a G3 300). You can take out GS music, and that will help. Also, try manually switching to 256 colors. Occasionally, I will get an unexpected quit message when I quit ev/gs on my iBook.

P.S. You can use Norton Speed Disk (and possibly Disk First Aid) to defrag.

------------------
-Jason

(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/ev_scourge/")www.geocities.com/ev_scourge/(/url)

I have 32MB real RAM, 64MB Virtual Memory, and I have 25000K (25MB ?) allocated for EV. I'll take out the Music and see if that improves anything.

Thanks for the help.

------------------

It worked!! I removed the music, and manually switched to 256 colors. It no longer hangs. You guys are great. Thanks for the advice. I will definately return.

------------------