Poll: New or old Graphics?

Something Coldfusion said in another topic inspired me to put this up.

If I were to make a plug-in, or anyone for that matter, what would you guys rather?

1)The plug-in uses the original EV graphics, which makes the whole plug-in, a full replacement universe, a meg at most. Now I know the old graphics get boring, hell, I'd rather have new ones, but what if you could have a separate plug-in that added new graphics for that plug?

2)New graphics, making the plug huge, and taking a long time to make and download. But it looks better while playing.

------------------
Three years and my pizza still isn't here.

Maybe I should call.

hey if you ask me go for the new grafix. I have a dsl hookup that allows me to download for example ev override in just under seven minutes

------------------
Only a few can survive true vengeance and they are my friends

Um, Avenger, not everyone can DO that. You're an exception, but I'll count your opinion.

------------------

Maybe I should call.

I think a mix would be good - using a limited selection of old graphics, at least the good ones (Manta, Rebel Destroyer, etc.), and some new ones for ships that don't fit the EV templates.

Er, what did I say that inspired you? I'm drawing a complete blank here.

------------------
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
-Gen. Jack Ripper, Dr. Strangelove

TC: All new never before seen graphics are always good, visually at least.
EX: A mix would be cool, or re-designing all ships to match your style or something like that would be even cooler.

------------------
~ThE kWaNzA mAn~
"Thou shalt not mess with the fury of KwAnZa!"

Avenger wrote:
**hey if you ask me go for the new grafix. I have a dsl hookup that allows me to download for example ev override in just under seven minutes

7 Minutes? I downloaded the latest EVO beta in less than 30 secs.

------------------
-Jericon

damn jericon, what the hell do you have? a t1 or something? i've got a cable that d/l's at 100k a sec, but you're talking ridiculous :).

------------------
Jeremy Woodruff as,
THE WHITE SHADOW

Sorry, I know that everyone dosn't have dsl but the same old grafix get old after a while and ev has been out for good bit.

I am not sure what you have Jericon but I do know that for a good bit more money
you can upgrade dsl to higher speeds. I think that I am on the lowest level but
I really don't think it is necessary to upgrade since I am more than happy with the current speed. It also dosen't need a second line, you can talk on the phone
and be on-line at the same time.
We West Virgians must know how to do something right, I was one of the first in the world to get it. It costs about 30-40 bucks a month and since we were testing it we got all the hardware free.

Just thought you would like to know.

------------------
Only a few can survive true vengeance and they are my friends

(This message has been edited by Avenger (edited 03-15-2000).)

I think you should have two seperate plug-in files, one with all the missions, sounds, descs, etc. and a nother with all the new graphix.

------------------
Joshua Jackson
AKA: Jak205
AIM: Jak205 Takitman JJEDIJ
E-mail: Jak205@Excite.com

"Life is a donut, get eating" Unkown

Go with new graphics, otherwise it will not be a total conversion.

------------------
Andrew M, fleet admiral of the Na'jan'té interstellar fleet.

Website: (url="http://"http://andrewm.cjb.net")http://andrewm.cjb.net(/url)

E-mail: (url="http://"mailto:ajmeilstrup@mac.com")mailto:ajmeilstrup@mac.com(/url)ajmeilstrup@mac.com

Andrew M wrote:
**Go with new graphics, otherwise it will not be a total conversion.

Yes, but then people like me with a 56k modem would never play it.

------------------
My decision is maybe, and that's final!

Type11 wrote:
Yes, but then people like me with a 56k modem would never play it.

I also have 56k, it's as slow as ****. I still d/l 30 meg files.

------------------
Andrew M, fleet admiral of the Na'jan'té interstellar fleet.

"Vessel Identified. Federation Starfleet, Intrepid class. 143 life forms. Prepare for assimilation."
-The Borg

Andrew M wrote:
_Go with new graphics, otherwise it will not be a total conversion.
_

Andrew, the spirit of a total conversion doesn't lie in the graphics - it lies in the story. Good, appropriate graphics are hard to find, and using some graphics from stock EV is a good choice if you want a smaller download and want to focus on a quality storyline rather than flashy graphics. The best plugins, of course, combine the two. . .

------------------
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
-Gen. Jack Ripper, Dr. Strangelove

Coldfusion, you said in (i think on BAnter and Brawl) that keeping the same old graphics would be good because it would reduce download time.

And I think what I'll do after reading this is: make the plug-in with no graphics, then make two more, one using the old graphics (it would only have the adjustments I made in it, like spins and extra picts) and one with whole new graphics.

One problem. I need new graphics. I don't have any.

------------------

Maybe I should call.

BTW, if anybody is offended by that, don't tell me to be nice. You don't know this bloke, and I doubt he'll be back.

***I'm not offended, but some might be. But it seems your problem has been erased. Happy trails

CS***

(This message has been edited by Captain Scurvy (edited 03-15-2000).)

Uhh...Jericon...the new beta is an update, its only a meg, meaning that it would take you about 2.5 minutes to d/l all of EVO.

Still a fair ammount better than 7 minutes.

@home just had better turnout rates than DSL that day. Some days i've seen it go sloooooww..

Wish i had it tho...

Uhh, oh, and I think a mix of graphics would be cool to (though I'm planning on making one too that will stun ya all, with the old graphics!!! ;))

CS

(This message has been edited by Captain Scurvy (edited 03-15-2000).)

I like the idea of letting people choose the graphics package. Like I mentioned in another post, mabye big, earth shaking plugs should have modifications for male and female. Mabye make plugins modular? If this is just a stupid idea, sombody tell me. Nobody ever tells me when I sound stupid, so I never stop. 😄

------------------
Out like a fat kid in kickball.

Yeah, but to make separate gender plugs would be time consuming. If I was going to do that, I'd make an explicit language plug-in. (which I won't do because too many kids play EV and I would get in trouble, even though I don't believe in profanity.)

You never know, I might make a female plug. Course then I'd have to change a few other things...

BTW, Captain Scurvy, thanks for deleting argile's message. It was just taking up space.

------------------

Maybe I should call.