Bug in the veil

This is a minor visual error, but I thought it was worth reporting. The shot says it all.

This is in the big open area just west of Li's Cave, in the northeast corner.

Posted Image

P.S. What happened to the ability to upload images? That was convenient. 🙂

Pardon my confusion, but what, exactly, is the problem? I don't see anything wrong...

xander

If you're referring to the water line in the black area, that was reported by a couple of people but is actually not considered a bug.

Yeah, that's been there since the first beta. xander had an explanation that made it make sense:

Since Alec hasn't commented on this yet, I am going to attempt to
explain why I don't think this is a bug. The walls are part of the
"middleground" where the game is played. The backgrounds are behind
Naija, and the waterline is part of the foreground. Thus, the water
does not stop at the wall, but rather occupies the space between the
wall and the viewer. As such, it is appropriate for the water to
extend towards infinity in both directions, even if it appears to
intersect the wall.

This post has been edited by PiSketch : 15 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

I thought of that, but it just looked like a mistake to me. No big deal.

Yeah, there was some debate about that.

I think the main thing is if Derek was still actively working on the project, I could have asked him to fix it, but with him being busy with other stuff currently I'd end up doing it, and right now I just have so many things on my plate. 🙂

But who knows! Maybe some day it'll get tweaked as well.

@bitblotalec, on Nov 15 2008, 10:12 PM, said in Bug in the veil:

Yeah, there was some debate about that.

I think the main thing is if Derek was still actively working on the project, I could have asked him to fix it, but with him being busy with other stuff currently I'd end up doing it, and right now I just have so many things on my plate. 🙂

But who knows! Maybe some day it'll get tweaked as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think it comes down to a difference of opinion.

I think what made me come report it as a bug is that the tree and shadow are in front of the water, which looks weird. I realized since posting this that everywhere else in the game it feels quite natural to have the waterline displayed in front of the "off-board" areas. Again, though, it's a very minor thing, and I wouldn't put it very high on your list of priorities. I just reported it because that's what I do. 🙂