Problem with "remembering" passwords

Hello, everybody!
I played earlier versions of Uplink and one thing was certain: if I hacked some Internal systems machine, I had its password for some time. Now I am on Uplink 1.60 and some things are changed. If I am breaking password first time, Uplink "remembers" it. When I lost password (after some game days as it usualy should be) and I am breakink this system again, I can't be certain, that Uplink will remember this password.
Does anyone has similar problem?
With gratitude -
DrHans

@drhans, on Aug 15 2008, 08:25 PM, said in Problem with "remembering" passwords:

Hello, everybody!
I played earlier versions of Uplink and one thing was certain: if I hacked some Internal systems machine, I had its password for some time. Now I am on Uplink 1.60 and some things are changed. If I am breaking password first time, Uplink "remembers" it. When I lost password (after some game days as it usualy should be) and I am breakink this system again, I can't be certain, that Uplink will remember this password.
Does anyone has similar problem?
With gratitude -
DrHans

I am confused about what the problem is, so I shall describe what the proper behaviour should be. If you are experiencing something different, please expand upon that. Also, the behaviour I describe is the behaviour that I have seen in both 1.3.x and 1.6.x, so it should be the same from one version to the other on your end, too.

When you hack a system, and use either the dictionary hacker or the password breaker, after you hit "Proceed" the password is stored in such a way that if you return to that system, you can simply click on the user/pass combination to enter that information. When you next connect to the server, this should appear below the normal password dialog. However, a few days of game time after you break into a system, your credentials will be revoked, and the password changed. You then have to re-hack the system. However, the new pass is saved in place of the old one.

Now, what part of that process is not working for you?

xander

Thanks, you described very well what the normal behavior should be. In my case, when I am re-hacking the system, after hitting the Proceed button and then disconnecting, I cannot be certain that I will have the admin password for the next time. It means that I cannot prepare good bounce.

@drhans, on Aug 16 2008, 04:37 AM, said in Problem with "remembering" passwords:

Thanks, you described very well what the normal behavior should be. In my case, when I am re-hacking the system, after hitting the Proceed button and then disconnecting, I cannot be certain that I will have the admin password for the next time. It means that I cannot prepare good bounce.

Do you mean that if you try to log into the system again immediately the password will no longer be there at all, or that you won't still have access to increase your bounce times? Often, your password will be revoked immediately, depending on what you are doing on a server.

xander

@darwinian, on Aug 16 2008, 06:27 PM, said in Problem with "remembering" passwords:

Do you mean that if you try to log into the system again immediately the password will no longer be there at all, or that you won't still have access to increase your bounce times? Often, your password will be revoked immediately, depending on what you are doing on a server.

xander

If I am logging into the system again I have no password - it is revoked, but after disconnecting when I broke the password I didn't receive the message about revoking the password.
DrHans

I think I know what he's talking about, as I've encountered this same problem as well. When you hack into a server, and you don't know what the previous password was, then the username and password is saved for next time so you can just click on it and use it.

When your password is revoked, the password that was revoked stays in Uplinks "memory," even though its invalid. When you rehack the system, you have to do it twice in order to get the new password to "stick," because after the first time it'll still hang on to the previous, invalid password.

Pretty bloody annoying, if you ask me.

@jacabyte, on Aug 17 2008, 08:35 PM, said in Problem with "remembering" passwords:

I think I know what he's talking about, as I've encountered this same problem as well. When you hack into a server, and you don't know what the previous password was, then the username and password is saved for next time so you can just click on it and use it.

When your password is revoked, the password that was revoked stays in Uplinks "memory," even though its invalid. When you rehack the system, you have to do it twice in order to get the new password to "stick," because after the first time it'll still hang on to the previous, invalid password.

Ah! That makes sense. I can't say that I have seen the bug, but at least I understand it now. 😉

xander

Yes! Yes! Yes!
Thank you for describing my problem! And Thank you for the suggestion to re-hack the system twice - it worked!
But anyway - it is a bug, in version 1.3 I din't get that.

DrHans

@jacabyte, on Aug 17 2008, 11:35 PM, said in Problem with "remembering" passwords:

I had a similar problem. Sometimes, it would revoke my password, but it never sent the message. This is fine, since I don't worry about having better bounces, as I just run through every mission in under 60 seconds anyways.