READ ME BEFORE YOU POST QUESTIONS ABOUT THE NEW VERSION

Regarding Onlink, other mods, gateways, skins and user files

1. Old user files are not compatible with the new version. If you are having problems, stop using your old user files and see if the problems persist.

2. Onlink will be coming to Mac. In fact, you don't even have to wait for the next version to be released. The current version will be released for Mac. In addition, Mac users are actually going to get a sneak peak at some of the features of the new version. While these new features might be buggy, Mac users will be the first to get a glimpse of some of the things in the next version of Onlink. ETA for the Mac release is 10-15 days, though there are a lot of external factors outside of anyone's control.

3. Other DevCD mods will most likely not come out for Mac. This is due in part to the registration system that Ambrosia uses for the Mac version of Uplink, which they are very hesitant to hand out (for obvious reasons). The only reason Onlink's coming to the Mac is because the Onlink devs did the Universal Binary for Ambrosia so they've already made arrangements with Ambrosia regarding that particular subject.
Not to say this is entirely Ambrosia's fault, though. Most Uplink modders simply don't care about other platforms. Even though Uplink for Linux doesn't have to deal with the same legal issues as the Mac version, the majority of mods are Windows-only. And in the case of the FBI mod, its source is lost somewhere in history so doing anything more with it is impossible.

4. Here is where you put themes and gateways. This is just what I've been told. I haven't tested this out for myself since I haven't registered Uplink on this computer and haven't bothered to go find my code just to test.

It's a bit unclear. You either create a folder called "data" in the main folder as your Uplink.app, or "Show package contents" on the Uplink.app, then go to the Contents/MacOS/ directory and create "data" there.
It's probably the first, though, the "data" folder outside the folder.

Put the skins in:
data/<themename>/graphics

Put the gateways in:
data/gateways/blah.txt

As I said I haven't tested this out myself, and I heard this from someone with access to the code but who didn't do as much work on it (and is not as much of a Mac person). But hopefully that should straighten that out.

This post has been edited by Rickton : 28 May 2008 - 11:26 PM

So any word on how gateways/skins get installed?

Miah's harddrive crashed a few weeks back and he hasn't been able to get the source back yet. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from him.

I think we have all been pretty patient regarding the inability to add new gateways and show-stopping crashes. A reply/update on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely - A Paying Customer

Miah must have pissed off some god at some point in his life because he keeps having computer problems. First his hard drive crashes, then his whole computer won't start up.
It'll be awhile until he can get a look at the source code to figure it out.

(Also noting that you're a paying customer means nothing to me -- even though Ferrous Moon coded the UB of Uplink we don't see any of the money 😉 )

Well, we coded some of it. Then Miah locked up the source code when Ambrosia got involved and then didn't do any work on it and Ambrosia had to finish it.

Updated first post with gateway/skin information.

I just tested that method for gateways on a Mac, and it didn't work.

I'm on a G4 iMac, running 10.4.11, at 800MHz PowerPC G4.

Indeed. Rickton, the way you posted is the way it worked for the old version, but it doesn't work that way for the UB. Putting things in the app package doesn't do anything either.

Buggery. Would it be too much to ask for Ambrosia to actually look into this as well?

I'll talk to Miah and Steven about it.

@rickton, on Jun 1 2008, 08:17 PM, said in READ ME BEFORE YOU POST QUESTIONS ABOUT THE NEW VERSION:

Buggery. Would it be too much to ask for Ambrosia to actually look into this as well?

I'll talk to Miah and Steven about it.

Kent is aware of the issue.

So Have we made any progress on modding of the mac version, or Onlink dev? :laugh: Oh well... I'm not gonna complain, although I would like an update if you guys have time.

Wow, this was sad.