THE Topic of 2008

Uplink 'Tech' Support

I'm not a moderator on this forum, but I thought I'd make a Topic to draw more attention. Anyway, I need some help with a problem I'm having in the game. The problem is in the mission Codename: ARCInfiltration. I am unable to locate the ARC File Server. I have level three (top level) of every LAN software program. I scanned the LAN, and probed everything. I hacked my way through the locks, and I reached... nothing. There's an entire part of the LAN that I can't reach. There are no wireless transmitters or modems, and I was hoping someone might give some help. If you can, then thank you. This is what I'm looking at:

I know it's a little difficult to read, but you can see that I have no access to the right cluster of systems from the rest of the LAN. Sorry about the periods, but the spaces didn't show up right. Thank you for your help.

A=Automated Server
R=Router
T=Terminal
L=Lock
__=there will someday be something here (could only tell through graphical distortion)

...................A4
......T............|
......|............|
.T—L1—A2—L2.................__
......|............|
.....A1..........T
......|
......R.........................T
......|..........................|
Entry....__....L4....T—L5—A6—L6
......R—L3—T..............A5
......R—T—T—T—A3.....R

This post has been edited by Crystal_Bearer : 09 January 2008 - 11:20 PM

I think that you have fallen victim to a nasty LAN bug in the Mac version of Uplink. I got it too, on my first LAN. If it is that bug, try quiting and starting Uplink again; if that doesn't work, I guess you're up the creek, minus paddle.

Oh, and w31c0m3 70 7h3 804rd5! ("Welcome to the boards", in leetspeak)

P.S: You don't need to be a mod to make a topic. I do it all the time.

This post has been edited by SoItBegins : 10 January 2008 - 01:47 AM

Well, to be honest, I've been at this point for several days now. I've tried rebooting the gateway (and quitting the application) several times now. It's permanent. Now, I don't want to lose this character, so is there any way to continue the main story string? I mean, I'm a single-minded mage with over 10,000,000c (thanks to those handy recent balance transfers people kept handing me), and I'm really enjoying kicking cyber-butt. So, if anyone has any solutions to this bug, please let me know. My gateway needs me, and will be waiting for your help to reboot it. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Crystal_Bearer : 10 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

As I said on IRC, it would help if you posted (a) screenshot(s), rather than your schematic, which I am finding a bit difficult to read. Also, I see no mention of your hacking into each computer (that would be each "automated server" and each "terminal" on your schematic) on the LAN. Sometimes they contain phone numbers of modems.

xander

Yeah, occasionally there is a backdoor you can use. And occasionally you get a LAN that doesn't seem to work at all.