An Old Light (Jack's World)

Two Jacks, I sent you a PM regarding your world if you didn't already get it.

Hold the presses! Now let them looses! Now do it three more times and your dooing the spider pokey!

What Spiders Know is now complete!
Hahaha! I was hit by a stroke of genius on this one! I almost want to upload it there's so many interesting things inside! (or make a topic...)
Now there's only 4 levels left to complete! Sadly, next semester is in 10 days... I'll try to get at least one more level done in that time.

Well that's all for now, enjoy the newly uploaded pics! 🙂

@ferazel_09, on Jan 11 2008, 12:17 AM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

Two Jacks, I sent you a PM regarding your world if you didn't already get it.

Wow this looks so cool! Defanitly going to do this. I'll also send you a PM reply.

Ok, it took me most of my night and some of this morning but the thing me and ferazel_09 mentioned is up and running!

You can check it out here:
http://ferazelhostin...n/levellist.cgi

Kudos to ferazel_09 on this! There's also a link to this in my first post just incase anyone ever wants to go back and check for updates.

As a little addendum, if anybody else wants me to set an account up to help with development on your own FW world, PM or e-mail me.

After playing though Ferazel's Wand (the original) I realized something lacking in my level set, the enimies don't get tougher.

So I spent tonight going through all my levels upgrading Xichra's forces to make the game more challenging. Now you can encounter goblins and toadies of all colors of the rainbow!

@two-jacks, on Jan 17 2008, 01:54 AM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

After playing though Ferazel's Wand (the original) I realized something lacking in my level set, the enimies don't get tougher.

So I spent tonight going through all my levels upgrading Xichra's forces to make the game more challenging. Now you can encounter goblins and toadies of all colors of the rainbow!

If you're going to do this, I'd say also reduce the number of enemies. On a few levels in the demo, I just charged through the hordes of enemies because it was quicker and less painful than dealing with them all.

Wow Two Jacks. I sound like an ######.

It's really sad, because I started out in the same exact position I put you in, only I didn't even make all-original tiles and stuff at first.
If I had a computer that could play Ferazel, I would play your maps in a heartbeat.

My humble apologizes.

~Zam

Back in black, white and red! Get ready for a huge update!

First off, thanks! I can't beleive how many views this topic has gotten, and the download count for my demo isn't half bad either!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Secondly, Smoke and Mirrors is also complete and editing has begun on the next level, "Back Fire". The progress log summary has also been updated.

So I'm back with alot to tell and show. Over the summer I've been working to make my level set a better experience,and with the help of ferazel_09, it has come into reality! Here are the three things that were accomplished:

New plot-line and title!
I found my old plot quite lacking and so decided I should rewrite it and all 65+ conversations. The new story tells of Ferazel, an old knight recruited by Vion to help drive back the darkness that is Xichra. Which brings us to the new title, "Old Light". The title mainly represents Ferazel's role in the game.

New soundtrack!
I always wanted to add different music to my levels, and tanks to a point in the right direction from ferazel_09 it has een maid possible! The new soundtrack will feature a new song for every track in the game, and will be available for download once my level set is complete.

New robes for Ferazel!!!
I mentioned doing this one time in my log but could never figure it out. The credit for this goes to ferazel_09 who made the two sets of robes I'm showing.
As I said there are two current sets, white with red cape and black with red cape. Here are the pictures for them:

White robes :
17,000 views pic
Smoke and Mirrors, pic #2
Poor Yorik pic

Black robes :
Smoke and Mirrors, pic #3
Smoke and Mirrors, pic #4
Smoke and Mirrors, pic #5

This is all the updates for now, I hope it's enough to satisfy your summer apitites!
And before I go, here's a bonus pic:
Posted Image

-Jacks

This post has been edited by Two Jacks : 07 August 2008 - 05:05 PM

Getting there...

Back with an update at last! Have no fear, I'm always working on this, even if I'm not. 😛
Back Fire is now complete (be sure to check out all the new screenshots) as a shift my sight to the second to last level to be completed, The Lick of The Flame. This is another fire chase level so it should be as easy to create, if not easier because of the small amount of room given. However one this level is done, the last level to create, The Chokey, will begin production!

Don't have any glitch pictures on me for breaking 20k log views and 200 demo downloads, but thanks! Even if your thanks is not in the form of words it's still appreciated!

-Jacks

So close you can almost taste it!

Deep Fried Habnabit is now complete! Be sure to check out the new screen shots added to the first post. With this there is only one level left to complete, The Chokey! This is the level right before the final boss, so I must be sure to put all my effort into making it great.

After all the levels are done with being edited I have a checklist to complete:

Final playthrough, to make sure all the levels are passable and to look for any bugs.
Final brush through, a final looks at my levelset through the level editor, fix bugs and add a few final touches.
Playlist configuration, make a final decision on what song should go to which level.
Robe confrimation, produce the final version of the Old Light Ferazel robes.
Technical completion, finish the read-me's, compress all the files to be uploaded and then upload.

The last part should be noted. When my levelset is complete it will be uploaded four to six different ways:
The first, World data file, Playlist Folder, Sprites File
The second, World data file (original music codes)
The Third, The Sprites File
The Fourth/Fifth/Sixth, The Playlist Folder or The Music folder and World Data File (new music codes) or The Music Folder and the World data file with new music codes as seperate downloads.

The last option is debatable, but I would think that the last would probally be best. The music codes determine what music plays on what level. In my level set I've changed the codes from that of the original and have even added some new tracks; therefore, some levels might play music that doesn't match at all or no music at all.

@two-jacks, on Sep 22 2008, 05:57 PM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

Don't have any glitch pictures on me for breaking 20k log views and 200 demo downloads, but thanks! Even if your thanks is not in the form of words it's still appreciated!

Well, it came a little late, but the game decided to through me a glitch picture! (This particular glitch actually almost destroyed my levelset)
Posted Image
You can't really see it but that's a rouge overlay glitch tile. This little bad boy caused random wind tiles to appear all over my level and decided to destroy Level 1 of my levelset. Luckily, ferazel_09 was near by and so wth his help, I was able to recover my level set with no problems.

Here are two other screen shots I took while screwing around in Deep Fried Habnabit:
Posted Image

Posted Image

-Jacks

@two-jacks, on Sep 23 2008, 01:57 AM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

Getting there...
Back with an update at last! Have no fear, I'm always working on this, even if I'm not. 😛
Back Fire is now complete (be sure to check out all the new screenshots) as a shift my sight to the second to last level to be completed, The Lick of The Flame. This is another fire chase level so it should be as easy to create, if not easier because of the small amount of room given. However one this level is done, the last level to create, The Chokey, will begin production!

-Jacks

Full marks for perseverance Jack - It almost tempts me to grab an old Mac and start playing. I haven't had one for years now. Hmm wonder if I can get hold of one. I know my grandson Ben would love it - he always was a Ferazel fan.

What a shame it is that the sequel was never made. or Ferazel wasn't updated for OSX. I still think it's one of the gratest games ever produced.

@lizwiz, on Oct 21 2008, 05:41 AM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

What a shame it is that the sequel was never made. or Ferazel wasn't updated for OSX. I still think it's one of the gratest games ever produced.

QFT. 😞

@lizwiz, on Oct 20 2008, 12:41 PM, said in An Old Light (Jack's World):

Full marks for perseverance Jack - It almost tempts me to grab an old Mac and start playing. I haven't had one for years now. Hmm wonder if I can get hold of one. I know my grandson Ben would love it - he always was a Ferazel fan.

Thanks for the kind words liz. Of course I encourage you to materialize a machine running OS 9, this is one of the most intricate Ferazel add-ons ever made after all.

Grandson Ben, huh? Didn't name him after a famous programer now did you? 😛

I would have responded to this sooner (it's good to know that some people are still following my progress), but my computers were taken away from me (right before I start hacking the second to last level no less). I should be getting them back within a few days though (right before finals no less).

The main dilema right now (besides not having a computer) is the application Sound Sampler. This program lets me take mp3's and the like and transform them into AIFC files able to be used in Ferazel's Wand. I tried to open and it said my trial date expired, and proceeded to tell me that I had to purchase the app or redownload it. All downloadlinks I can find are broken due to the actual devopers site being down. I don't know if the dev's site will ever come back up so my best bet is to see if anyone here has a spare copy of the app they could send me so that I might finish changing all the music files I need for my level set.

Also, you might of heard all the talk about Ares X, this made me wonder if there was a chance that there was some special task we could do to Convince Ben Spees to release enough of the source code so that some dedicated fans could update it for OSX. Wishful think I know, but thinking none the less.

We are only limited by our imagination.
Jacks