White screen instead of connection window (Map)

Only just started happening

Hi All,

I've been playing Uplink for years and, although it's had the odd annoying bug and glitch, It's generally been usable. However, I've just started having this problem where, after you click on the connection window (Map) to make a connection, all you get is a white window instead of the enlarged map with the server nodes on it.

I've seen occasional reports of this same thing happening on this forum going back several years but no one seems to have answered it or offered a fix. Each time I have seen someone raise this problem, someone has blamed it on a new OS version but some of these posts are very old and people have reported this problem under OS9, OSX 10.2 and 10.3 (and I'm running 10.4) so that seems unlikely. Especially since I have been running it successfully under 10.2 and 10.3 as well as earlier versions of 10.4 (10.4.8 and earlier).

The biggest change (apart from the minor OS updates, the only change) I have made since I last ran Uplink successfully is change from a PPC Mac (15" G4 Al-Book) to a 15" Intel MacBook Pro. I'm wondering if that may be the cause and, if so, is there a fix or, at the very least, a workaround.

Current setup is as follows:

15" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz (Intel Core 2 Duo)
2GB RAM/120GB HD
MacOSX v10.4.10
Uplink version: v1.3.4

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

My first suggestion would be to just reinstall Uplink.

@prophile, on Sep 18 2007, 12:27 PM, said in White screen instead of connection window (Map):

My first suggestion would be to just reinstall Uplink.

Good suggestion. I had considered that but since it's just a drag install and not a sneaky installer that puts files all over the place I couldn't see how it could help. I did it anyway though. No luck I'm afraid.

It seems that this issue is fairly rare but by no means unheard of and has been an issue for a long time (years) and spans many OS versions (going back as far as 10.2). This is puzzling because it seems that there is no consistent factor.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I paid good money for this game and I really miss not being able to play it.

Cheers,
TV

I've been having the same problem. I also recently switched to an Intel-based Mac and discovered that Uplink's big map just came up white. Uplink is listed as Intel-incompatible, so I think that is probably the reason. I know Ambrosia recently contacted someone who was with Contraband about an Uplink update for Mac; maybe the update could make Uplink Intel-compatible. Just a thought.

I'm sure any update would indeed make it compatible with the latest hardware and OS.