Public Opinion Poll

Poll: What features would you be willing to lose for an up-to-date Universal Uplink? (17 member(s) have cast votes)
In-game IRC?
It can go
(6 votes [35.29%])
Percentage of vote: 35.29%
It needs to stay
(11 votes [64.71%])
Percentage of vote: 64.71%
No opinion
(0 votes [0.00%])
Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Well?

I am not overly attached to either feature. I have never used the multimonitor feature, and have only once or twice used the in-game IRC client. In summary: meh.

xander

I have never used multimonitor, but the in-game IRC is just awesome.

@jrsh92, on Jan 3 2007, 11:27 PM, said in Public Opinion Poll:

I have never used multimonitor, but the in-game IRC is just awesome.

The in-game IRC is quite possibly the worst IRC client ever invented 😉

@prophile, on Jan 4 2007, 04:44 PM, said in Public Opinion Poll:

Amen to that.

xander

@prophile, on Jan 4 2007, 11:44 AM, said in Public Opinion Poll:

It's not even an IRC client. Sure, it has the general appearance of one, and the most basic of functions are possible (chatting with people), but it's hardly following the complete IRC standard(s).

That said, it's an important feature, and I am in #uplink on irc.ambrosia.net 24 hours a day. And it gets a lot more activity than these forums do. I am most definitely in favor of the IRC client, even in its crippled form.

@mrxak, on Jan 6 2007, 04:56 AM, said in Public Opinion Poll:

It's not even an IRC client. Sure, it has the general appearance of one, and the most basic of functions are possible (chatting with people), but it's hardly following the complete IRC standard(s).

That said, it's an important feature, and I am in #uplink on irc.ambrosia.net 24 hours a day. And it gets a lot more activity than these forums do. I am most definitely in favor of the IRC client, even in its crippled form.

Everyone knows that irc.uplinkcorp.net #uplink is the real Uplink IRC channel. And while the IRC client in Uplink my not be a complete client, it certainly is an IRC client...

xander

Multimonitor can go (I only have one...), but the IRC feature just adds to the whole "you're on a real futuristic computer!!" feel. Now, I would suggest that you make it BETTER... but it's a nice touch to the whole thing.

Edit: And, just curious... when is the Universal version going to happen? I'm having serious Uplink withdrawl on my MacBook! And how long would it take to make one, do you think?

This post has been edited by Shenlon : 30 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

The main problem is that Contraband seem to be just gone. Once some kind of new deal is forged between Ambrosia and Introversion, then it can be updated to 1.50 and be released as UB.

Wha!! Hmm... so you're saying it may take a while, then? Blah. Guess I'll have to fire up some type of emulator or something... dunno...

But I'll tell you one thing prophile: That SketchCheater is hilarious!

Glad you liked it 🙂

Ambrosia didn't take the joke so well.

Anyway, I have a working Mac version of Uplink here which compiles as PPC and Intel, but it's not the latest version, and can't be distributed, but still it's certainly possible.

The problems are that the IRC client and multimonitor options had to be edited out, hence the poll.

This post has been edited by prophile : 30 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

I would trade the multi-monitor and irc extras for better performance.

@prophile, on Jan 30 2007, 05:41 PM, said in Public Opinion Poll:

The problems are that the IRC client and multimonitor options had to be edited out, hence the poll.

Why's that?

IRC gave me compile errors, and multimonitor caused crashes.