Interesting Ferazel Ideas
With most of my level set complete, I've decided to tack up most of the ideas I've created or found since I started this project.
Feel free to post up your own Ideas if you wish and I'll add them to the list.
If this topic get enough activity I'll post up pictures of all these ideas.
1. Super Balls: To make this trick work you need a half screen deep pit and at the bottom of it put a super spring facing up. Now place a falling spike ball (it's in the enemies menu) over it in midair.
When you go into the level the spike ball will be bouncing off the super spring and the player has no way of knowing it off.
Note: This trick will also work with death powers. Also don't be affraid to experiment.
2. Bouncing Enemies: This idea is basically the same concept as Super Balls, but instead of a spike ball above the spring you place a non moving enemy.
The best is probably a dagger goblin with a 1 in the (0) slot of the sprite info.
3. Quick Sand Spikes: Make the floor of a set area covered with retracting or non-retracting spikes, next put a single layer of quicksand over these spikes.
This will force the player to keep moving or they will hit the spikes and take damage.
For added fun: Add a spider! They don't take damage from spikes and jump enough to stay above the sand.
Thanks to Thok for showing me this trick.
4. To fast to handle:
Set a platform to the following settings:
The platform will now flicker in and out at the fastest possible rate. Attempt to stand on it, and you fall through; Unless you hit it with a statue spell first. Admittedly, you can occasionally land on it for a tiny moment, however, it's never long enough to make another jump. And the Statue spell will occasionally go through it, but it shouldn't take more than a few shots to get one to hit it. The main downside to this is how much magic Statue takes up.
5. Fire, Earth, and a hint of Spikes: Place ground fire side by side on a set area of flat ground, about 6-8 tiles off the floor place the ceiling, on the ceiling put non-retracting or retracting spikes, next place stalactites 3 tiles away from each other onto the ceiling where the spikes are.
This will force the player to have to shoot down the stalactites to provide a platform over the ground fire, however, to shoot down them down the player must jump only enough to hit the stalactites but no hit the spikes
For added fun: Place a horizontal spike ball that passes over the ground that the player must duck to avoid.
6. Magic Carpet's Bane: Make sure the player has a magic carpet then, make a mass block of wind tiles going any direction (except downward angels) at high speed, next make a curvy tunnel through the wind tiles by deleting the wind tiles.
This will make it so that if the player comes into contact with one of the wind tiles whilst on the magic carpet, they will be catapulted away from the carpet leaving it behind.
Note: Only use this trick if the player will meet with instant death or does not need the carpet to finish the level.
7. Beware the Rapids: Make a long ditch in the ground, next fill it with water. Next open up your level info, at the bottom of the window there should be two rows of boxes. The box on the far upper right controls the current of the water for the level. A positive number will make the water flow right and a negative number will make the water flow left. An very high positive or negative number will make the water flow incredibly fast, carrying the player with it.
Now all you have to do is make a difficult platform challenge above the rapids and if the player falls they land in the water and are sent back to the beginning.
8. Flying Sand Maze: If Ferazel enters any liquid (or sand) from a downward angel, he will be instantly teleported to the top of said liquid (or sand).
First make 1 tile thick pillars of sand, next add a carpet. Done.
If the player tries to fly through the sand they will be carried off the carpet to the top of the pillar, and will have to jump down to retrieve their carpet.
For added fun: Make the flying carpet have a timer on it.
9. Push of Endurance: Create a flat ground that has many buttons on it that activate rock chutes above. Place a boulder and rock barrier on opposite sides of the rock chute area. Make sure one button activates the rock barrier but doesn't stay down when pressed.
This will force the player to be pelted with stones as they try to push the boulder onto the correct button.
Note: Make sure the button is far away enough from the barrier that the player can't just stand on the button and run through the barrier before it closes.
10. Feather Pierced: At the top of a wide and deep chamber put a feather fall power-up that can't be avoided, then place cross bows on the walls of the chamber. The player must have to reach the bottom.
This will make it so the player is pelted with arrows as the slowly fall to the bottom, though they can avoid up and down arrows if they try.
For added fun: Place a cannon here and there to shoot the player back up so they can go through it all over again.
11. Hanging Battle: Make a small pit of acid or icy water, next put a series of rope or chain over it, finally put bats along the chain.
THis forces the player to take out the bats whilst hanging from the chain and if they fall they take damage.
12. Three sides of Spike Challenge: First make a floor and a ceiling at least 8-12 tiles apart, next lay spikes on all of the ceiling and floor for this area. Now you will need a string of spiky platforms long enough to cover your area. Create a single platform to start then enter this data into the sprite info:
(1) (distance in pixels to move, make sure your platform goes up to the ceiling and down to the floor)
(2) (speed at which to move)
(3) (leave blank)
After you've entered the data make adjustments so that it's just possible to get through the challenge with out taking damage.
This makes it so the player has to run on the strong of platforms before being hit be the ceiling spikes, being knocked off the platform onto the ground and taking damage from either the platform spikes or the floor spikes.
13. Back Shaver: First make a long "rail" formation with BG tiles a couple of tiles of the ground. Now you need to make a scythe with the following data:
(1) (distance between the left end of the "rail" from the right)
(2) (speed at which to move)
Then place the scythe on the left end of the rail.
This forces to the player to duck as the scythe passes over just barely out of range.
For added fun: Place retracting spikes on the ground so the player has to dodge the scythe and avoid getting punctured at the same time.
14. From One SIde to Another: This is difficult to explain but try to bare with me. First you need a long "U" shaped tunnel that has long sides but is not very wide. Now create spike ball 1 with the following data:
(1) 120 (range in pixels)
(2) 1500 (speed at which to move)
(3) 180 (starting angel 0-360)
Place this spike ball inside the middle pillar in the "U" shaped tunnel. Now create spike ball 2 with this data:
(1) 120 (range in pixels)
(2) 1500 (speed at which to move)
(3) 0 (starting angel 0-360)
Notice that the only thing that has changed is the starting angel. Place this pike ball a tile below the first one. Now duplicate spike ball 1 and spike ball 2 and place them in a pattern as so:
This makes the spike alternate being in the tunnel, making Ferazel have to move down or up on either side of the "U" shaped tunnel trying not to get hit.
Note: This will also work with a side way "U" shaped tunnel, if you change the (0) data to 13.(/font)
15. Button of Death: First make a button in a sand pit that is far away from the rock barrier it controls (not too far though) and make it so it does not stay down once pressed. Above the sand pit with the button make some crunch tiles and atop these crunch tiles put a falling spiked ball.
This makes it so you have to dig through the crunch tile to make the spiked ball fall to keep the button down. It is almost impossible not to take damage but it's pretty funny at the same time.
16. The Indiana Jones: Make a close-to-floor ceiling that is loaded with cross bows facing down.
This will make the player want to run past them and thus create an awesome Indiana Jones effect of being chase by arrows, since they won't hit you if you run past them.
For added fun: Make a jump at the end of the cross bow path or make the floor start rising up as you run forward. Make a high speed mine cart fly past crossbows.
17. Duck & Run: Create a narrow passage going any direction that's not diagonal, put indents in the walls of this tunnel that Ferazel can barely fit in, now put a spiked ball that runs along the center of this tunnel at a high speed:
This will force the player to duck into an alclove to avoid getting hit by the spiked ball.
For added fun: Put a wall or two of crunch tiles that the player must destroy to get to the next alclove.
Enemy Ideas :
1. Armodilopines: Putting a 1 or greater in the (0) slot of the sprite info will cause the Armodilopine to randomly roll up into a ball and roll towards Ferazel when hit or left alone. This trick works for both Armodilopines and Armodilopine Majors. Note: They attack more frequently as their health is lowered.
2. Big Insects: Big Insects are active regardless if your are close or far away from them. This allows for the Insect to fly towards you at anytime on the level as long as it is not blocked by a wall. So if you have an Insect in a level with an open sky and nothing to block it, it will fly incredibly fast towards you after gaining speed from far away.
Just for fun :
1. The Waterfall: Create a thick stream of water that has a border of BG tiles on it's edges and maybe it's top, make a checker pattern of wind tiles going down at around 50-100 depending on what you want, MAKE SURE your water current info is set to Zero and that the top of your waterfall does not touch the top most part of the level.
2. The Zirdium Water-rise: Zirdium (like acid) is always bubbling therefor it cannot "fall" and look right. Make a nice looking (and somewhat cool) zirdium water-rise, simply follow the directions for a waterfall but instead of making the wind tiles point down, make them point up. Also make sure not to use a checker pattern of wind tiles and that you not use many wind tiles at all since they will not allow to to fall down.
3. Battle on the Bridge: Make a bridge over nothingness or a pool of liquid, then put a bridge of any type over this pool or space, finally put a gobblin on the bridge.
When the goblin dies it will fall through the bridge sprite and then it's normal dieing animation takes place.
4. The Elevator: Make a long chunk of windtiles 3-4 tiles off the ground and with a width of 2-3 tiles all pointing up with a speed of 140.
When the player jumps into this current they will be shot up at a good speed and then hover at the top of the wind tiles.
5. Stalactite of death: Open up the sprite info for a stalactite and in the (0) space put the number 2.
This will change the apperance of the stalactite as well as making it explosive.
For added fun: Place the explosive stalactite over a non-moving enemy. This way when the player shoots it down it will damage the enemy 1 point.
Note: Putting different numbers in the (0) slot for stalactites will change their appearance, however only the number 2 makes it explosive.
6. Broken Teleporter: Teleporters will teleport you to any sprite in the level as long as it sprite number is in the (0) slot of the sprite info. To find the sprite number: open up the sprite info for any sprite and the number at the top of the box is the sprite number for that level.
Note: Remember not to have a teleporter that links to a sprite that can be destroyed like an enemy or something that could roll off screan. Torches usally work best.
7. Treasure Chest of Wonder: Treasure chest will hold anything as long as the "kind" number of an object is in the (1) slot of the treasure chest. If you put the kind number of a sheild power up in a chest when you open it, the power up with pop out and regenerate once it has been used up.
Note: Enemies, objects and scenery will not work with treasure chests and will pop out of the treasure box as balls of light that cannot be picked up.
8. Physics Burp:
View Postferazel_09, on Jan 20 2008, 04:35 PM, said:
Picking up any walk-on-liquid powerup will teleport you to the top of said liquid if you are in said liquid. The ramifications of this: you will always teleport to the top of whatever liquid. You can make a tower of liquid that's hidden behind FG tiles opening into a secret room and when you touch the walk-on-liquid powerup, you'll zap upward into the room.
Note: If the player is under FG tiles and aquires the Solid Water power up they will be zapped through the FG tiles and appear on top of the water.
This idea was submitted by ferazel_09.
Just remember that no matter what, playing your level set should not cross into the lands of annoyance but take the path into the land of enjoyment!
Well that's it for now I'll post up some more later. Please feel free to add to my list if you think I've missed anything noteworthy, or if you have anything new to add yourself. Also feel free to use any of the ideas you see here.
This post has been edited by Two Jacks : 20 January 2008 - 11:04 PM