Revisiting an Intel Version

Is Ambrosia actively developing an Intel Version of Uplink?

Hello,

I was wondering if Ambrosia Software is actively working to develop an Intel Macintosh version of Uplink and if so, is there somewhere where we can see a progress report on this? Much thanks for your time.

--Alexis

Alexis -

I've seen absolutely no news that ASW is working on an Intel version of Uplink. This doesn't mean it isn't possible, but I'd say the odds are highly unlikely.

Keep in mind that Ambrosia did not make Uplink, they only published it. The folks at Introversion would be the ones making an UB version, if anybody.

@mrxak, on Sep 9 2006, 04:49 PM, said in Revisiting an Intel Version:

Keep in mind that Ambrosia did not make Uplink, they only published it. The folks at Introversion would be the ones making an UB version, if anybody.

OK, I understand. I thought that Ambrosia had actually developed the Macintosh version, as opposed to simply publishing it. Thanks for the info. 🙂

--Alexis

@phoenix155, on Sep 10 2006, 02:20 AM, said in Revisiting an Intel Version:

OK, I understand. I thought that Ambrosia had actually developed the Macintosh version, as opposed to simply publishing it. Thanks for the info. 🙂

--Alexis

No. The game was originally developed by Introversion Software, then ported to the Mac by Contraband, and, finally, published by ASW. Based upon cryptic comments made on the IV boards, I think it is possible that a universial binary may be released at some point, but IV are currently very busy with the upcoming release of Defcon, and, hopefully, another patch for Darwinia. In other words, I wouldn't hold my breath.

xander

They are a small company, and they probably won't be able to support all of their old games forever. Especially with their whole "revolutionize the way people make great games" ideology, they really just keep pushing the envelope. It's tough to keep that up and then release endless new versions of old games.

Since Contraban did the original port, wouldn't they be the ones to do the Intel version?

Eh.... I seriously doubt Contraband would be of help in this matter.

@mrxak, on Sep 10 2006, 06:00 PM, said in Revisiting an Intel Version:

They are a small company, and they probably won't be able to support all of their old games forever. Especially with their whole "revolutionize the way people make great games" ideology, they really just keep pushing the envelope. It's tough to keep that up and then release endless new versions of old games.

Possibly, but IV released a patch for the Windows version of Uplink just last month. While they are interested in pushing the envelope, they are also interested in ensuring the best possible experience. As I said before, the best place to ask this question is probably the IV boards.

xander

Sure, sure. But my point is, they're eventually going to stop supporting Uplink.

Yes, it's possible to make Uplink work on Intel Macs. The source I have here compiles almost fine for UBs, just a few multimonitor issues.

Hopefully Introversion will make another release in the near future.