Intel macs & Uplink

I noticed that on the store uplink is listed as not compatible with intel macs.
How not compatible is not compatible?

You could try installing Boot Camp and using the Windows version of Uplink.

But until next patch, it's just not compatible and will probably slow to a crawl and crash.

According to this article, "the interface buttons did not respond reliably or consistently, making the game very difficult to play."

Go ahead and try the game though and see for yourself. It's free to try before you buy.

SDL doesn't seem to like working cross-architecture.

Alas, it's true. Uplink does not like running on Intel-based macs.

I know that a good number of Ambrosia programs have been updated (EVN and Darwinia are the ones I play) so perhaps the developers of Uplink could recompile with the latest Ambrosia development kit...?

@bischofftep, on May 31 2006, 03:35 PM, said in Intel macs & Uplink:

Alas, it's true. Uplink does not like running on Intel-based macs.

I know that a good number of Ambrosia programs have been updated (EVN and Darwinia are the ones I play) so perhaps the developers of Uplink could recompile with the latest Ambrosia development kit...?

Its hard to say. IV are bussily working on their next game (Defcon), which will hopefully be out by September. They are also continueing to support Darwinia. I would think that Uplink is a relatively low priority at the moment. However, there is a new patch for Uplink that has begun the beta process (or will soon -- a call for beta testers went out last week), so it seems that IV are commited to supporting Uplink, as well. At the very least, it seems likely that Intel Mac support may come along at some point.

xander

Except that it's Contraband who manage the Mac port of Uplink, not Introversion unless John or someone (cough) ports it again.