Requesting help

Two missions won't be completed and I get caught robbing banks

I'm new to uplink and I think I've missed something about the hacking procedure. I'll be as specific as I can about exactly what I'm doing. I've encountered 2 problems. First, there are two jobs I can't get paid for. Second, I get caught robbing banks.

The two jobs where I don't get paid are 1) Deleting all the files from a computer (difficulty level 5) and 2) Acquiring information about someone's bank account. (also difficulty level 5)

When deleting all the files from a computer, I connect using a bunch of proxies, use the password guesser (I don't remember its official name) to get the password, and log in as admin. Then, I go to the security secion, use proxy-disabler (v5), and then switch off the firewall and monitor. Then, I go to the file server and use file deleter to delete every file there. Then, I go to the logs and use log deleter (v4) to delete all of the logs. As soon as the last log is deleted, I disconnect. Then I e-mail my employer about my success and get a response saying I'm not done.

When gaining access to a bank account, I connect using a bunch of proxies, go to administration, use the password guesser (I don't remember its official name) to get the password, use the voice analyser with a recording of the administrator's voice from his home phone to get past the voice recognition security, and the decypherer (actually, might be dycrypter, I mix up the names sometimes. It's the thing that cracks the huge array of rapidly changing digits by making them all 0) (v3) to get past the elliptic curve crytography thingy. Then, I access the information on accounts and find the account number and password of the target. Then I disconnect, and wipe the logs on one of the proxies I used to connect. Then, I use another long chain of proxies to log in as the target, and then look at everything in his account, loans, statement, everything. Then I disconnect, and wipe the logs (with log deleter v4) on one of the proxies I used to connect. Then I e-mail my employer about my success and get a response saying I'm not done.

When robbing a bank, I gain access to an account number and password as described above, then use a long chain of proxies to log in as that person, then transfer all the money from his account to mine. Then I disconnect, and wipe the logs (with log deleter v4) on one of the proxies I used to connect. I'm positive that I'm wiping the logs on one one my proxies for BOTH chains, when I get the account number and password and when I log in to transfer money. In fact, I'm wiping the logs on the first proxy I use, directly after disconnecting, finished within a minute, when I used like 70 proxies, so the passive trace is not already past that proxy. Nevertheless, I get caught shortly after doing this. This has happened twice now, and it's the only thing that's ended a game, so I'm sure it's the bank that's catching me.

If an experienced player could tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd very much appreciate it.

I think i might be able to help..

For the deleting all the files on a sever..: (You are connecting to the central main frame right?)

Basically what you are doing is good. Bounce off of as many servers (not proxies, proxies are something else) as you want, and connect. Typically, you should bounce off of InterNIC first, it is easy to delete/modify logs there. The higher level bypasses you have, the more time you have. If you have a monitor bypass lvl 5, get it running then use do what you need to get in. I usually do the password breaker part last. (once they start tracing you, turn off the monitor bypass)
Once im in, i go straight to the console, admin>console. Run you proxy and firewall bypass/disabler now. Type in 'cd usr' then 'delete'. It will delete all the files for you, and if you want to type 'cd logs' and then 'delete' again. Your almost done but not quite. Type in 'cd sys' and delete again. After those three files are deleted, type in 'shutdown'. It will shutdown then attempt to restart, then it will run into a error because you deleted the files that will let the server start up. Disconnect and connect back to InterNIC, go into the admin and delete your logs that say you routed to certain severs.
Connect to Uplink, go to the news server. fast forward time and wait for the news flash that the server that you hacked into shows up. Then respond to the email and wait for their reply. You typical have to wait about three days.

For the account information:
This link describes it better than i can.

For hacking into a bank:

What you did works well. After you transfer the money to your account, go to view statement and run a proxy disabler/bypasser. Run Log Deleter on the log that says "<account> transfer <money amount> credits to <your account>". Disconnect, then bounce off of as many servers as you want, and connect to your bank. log into your account, run the proxy software, delete your log and disconnect. Now connect to InterNIC or whatever server you first bounced off of and delete your routing logs, and disconnect. Then fast forward time, either you will get caught or uplink will send you a email saying that your Uplink Status has increased.
For a better guide go to here.

Hope this helps,
-Dark

When you send your employer the e-mail when they ask you to put in the account information, put the number of the thing they were asking for (lone, balance, etc.) in the "Additional Information" thing by clicking the e-mail and typing it in.

I've completed the missions now, thanks to both of you for the help. I still get caught robbing banks, though, because I get caught before I manage to cover my tracks. I can solve this with a security system, though, so everything is fixed.

@blackavar, on May 16 2006, 12:38 AM, said in Requesting help:

I've completed the missions now, thanks to both of you for the help. I still get caught robbing banks, though, because I get caught before I manage to cover my tracks. I can solve this with a security system, though, so everything is fixed.

1. Connect to the bank you wish to rob.
  2. Run your proxy and moniter bypassers.
  3. Log into the account to wish to transfer money from, and transfer the money to your account.
  4. Wipe the log of the tranfer from the hacked account (while logged into the account, click "View Statement")
  5. Log into your own account, and wipe the log (again, under "View Statement")
  6. Log into one of your bounces, and wipe the connection logs.

Be fast.

xander

This post has been edited by darwinian : 16 May 2006 - 09:43 AM

Try connecting to InterNIC and adding in a couple of random servers, and after your done then you can delete them.

Your welcome.

-Dark