Posible updates?

More advanced features, Less clunk GUI

Firstly Uplink is a wonderful game and I am quite addicted after downloading it 3 days ago and playing it for about 16 hours.

BUT, the interface is quite clunky and it doesnt have some obvious features like trojans and secondary barrier gateways. Not to mention your own software side security. A decent hacker tends to have his own machine fairly well protected.

Also I have one of my characters disavowed will using the 'secure' system with the unracable wireless dohickey. How exactly does that work?

Plus you cant actually alter/remake your own identity using the banks, SSN, criminal etc.

The bounce route selector is HORRIBLE. The map thing was a really bad idea. It would be better with a list of bounces, a final destination, a remove bounce button and an add bounce drop menu of all the links you have. Also, depending on bandwidth you could make it cross through a server multiple times as long as you didnt use the same in/outs servers. And a simple utility for making random route sections through all unused servers when you have filled in the destination and key bounces.

But that said it is a decent game and I will probly play it until I hit the maximums of the shareware.

And now, I will destroy your argument.

Deimosian, on Jan 24 2005, 09:21 PM, said:

Firstly Uplink is a wonderful game and I am quite addicted after downloading it 3 days ago and playing it for about 16 hours.

Play it longer and see how you like it then.

BUT, the interface is quite clunky and it doesnt have some obvious features like trojans and secondary barrier gateways. Not to mention your own software side security. A decent hacker tends to have his own machine fairly well protected.

Uplink is fictional, not real. There probably wasn't space in the code, or it's not possible to write that into the game. You can buy hardware security systems when you register though

Trojans: With this code, probably not possible. No good way to manage them, I'm sure.
Secondary Gateways: It's called "bouncing through servers"
Interface: No other good way. Uplink is treated like an OS. They can't go and rip Microsoft or Macintosh now can they?

Also I have one of my characters disavowed will using the 'secure' system with the unracable wireless dohickey. How exactly does that work?

It was deactivated beofer relase and never removed.

Plus you cant actually alter/remake your own identity using the banks, SSN, criminal etc.

The need for that feature does not exist.

The bounce route selector is HORRIBLE. The map thing was a really bad idea. It would be better with a list of bounces, a final destination, a remove bounce button and an add bounce drop menu of all the links you have. Also, depending on bandwidth you could make it cross through a server multiple times as long as you didnt use the same in/outs servers. And a simple utility for making random route sections through all unused servers when you have filled in the destination and key bounces.

You try doing it a better way. The map works. But the random route selector is a good idea.

nfreader, on Jan 25 2005, 05:27 PM, said:

It was deactivated beofer relase and never removed.
View Post

Technically it works, just not in the way people think, and there really is no advantage. Basically, it prevents the authorities from getting to you. They can still confiscate your gateway, just never get to you to arrest you. Of course the same applies to all of the gateways, in the final version of the game.

mrxak, on Jan 26 2005, 03:46 AM, said:

Basically, it prevents the authorities from getting to you. They can still confiscate your gateway, just never get to you to arrest you.
View Post

Even if they dont get you the game is over.

Exactly.

The interface is kinda laid out just fine but it is a little glitchy.
Why couldnt you manage trojans? It seems easy enuf to set up to me. Same with secondary gateways. And the 2nd gateways could be a much better buffer than the bounces. The cops could confiscate the 2nd gateways and not get to your character's main one or you could destroy it entirely if a really nasty corp came after you.

Im sure that if they choose to make sequels that the game will get much better. Look at the EV to EVN improvment.

BTW: I love the catbert avatar.

We're talking about a port of a game. There won't be any major changes.