Getting caught leaving LANs

I tried using the Sample Company LAN for practice, before I attacked a real company. Turns out they ARE a real company with decent security and such. Now they keep passive tracing me after only a few hours. I deleted all logs, didnt get active traced, HOW DO THEY GET ME? please help, i had a great user file, best gateway, all the software of highest versions, nearly 3 million in stolen funds...I cant lose all that now!

------------------

What are you doing for your bounces? Are you using Internic for your first bounce and deleting logs there as well? I'm nowhere near an Uplink pro, but I've never experienced this problem with LAN's. Even when the SysAdmin boots me off, I've always managed to clear my logs and not get caught.

If you describe in detail all of your steps, someone out here will likely be able to determine what is causing you the greif!

------------------
Jump HIGH & Swing HARD!!

(This message has been edited by qball (edited 08-14-2003).)

I just read from one of your posts on a different topic that you aren't using Internic. If you only delete logs on the system you are trying to hack you will always run the risk of being passively traced. If the passive trace gets past the system you are hacking before you delete your logs there, they will EASILY follow your bounce path - RIGHT BACK TO YOUR GATEWAY!!! You're really quite lucky that this hasn't happened until now!

My suggestion: Go to Internic. Hack the password (they never trace you and the password never changes). Use Internic as your FIRST BOUNCE ON ALL FUTURE MISSIONS so that you can go back and delete your logs there. This eliminates the possibility of a passive trace making its way back to your gateway. I always deleted all my logs at Internic, but many suggest leaving your connection log so that it matches with the disconnection log. I guess that I went back frequently enough to delete logs from missions that no-one ever found a solitary disconnection log and got suspicious??? Delete your logs at Internic however you want, but MAKE SURE you delete them there!!!!!!

------------------
Jump HIGH & Swing HARD!!

Originally posted by qball:
**I just read from one of your posts on a different topic that you aren't using Internic. If you only delete logs on the system you are trying to hack you will always run the risk of being passively traced. If the passive trace gets past the system you are hacking before you delete your logs there, they will EASILY follow your bounce path - RIGHT BACK TO YOUR GATEWAY!!! You're really quite lucky that this hasn't happened until now!

My suggestion: Go to Internic. Hack the password (they never trace you and the password never changes). Use Internic as your FIRST BOUNCE ON ALL FUTURE MISSIONS so that you can go back and delete your logs there. This eliminates the possibility of a passive trace making its way back to your gateway. I always deleted all my logs at Internic, but many suggest leaving your connection log so that it matches with the disconnection log. I guess that I went back frequently enough to delete logs from missions that no-one ever found a solitary disconnection log and got suspicious??? Delete your logs at Internic however you want, but MAKE SURE you delete them there!!!!!!

Thank you so much, i didnt realize that they might have passive traced me while there and gotten past the logs i had deleted
i will try erasing logs at Internic and a few other places that i always link through
Again, thank you, you may have saved me much wasted time

------------------