FG spikes

We've all been lead to believe that FG tile spikes are evil and wrong. I've decided to point out a few reasons why they're neither. (Except evil, if used right ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

First, as we probably all know, you can make areas as small (Or large) as you want.

Second, they can be used as crunch tiles. This doesn't seem like much, but it can still come in handy.

Third, we all know there is a sprite limit. Tiles don't take sprites.

Fourth, level info (4). You can have these do as much damage as you want. 112 (I don't know why 112) to each 'unit'. Set it high enough and they'll be instant death.

Fifth, if they're set to do 0 damage, they will do one 'unit' of damage to you, but they won't hurt monsters that stand on them. They'll flash red, but they won't be hurt.

------------------
"Hee hee... hee hee hee... I've seen them. I've been there. Hee hee... I've seen behind those masks they wear. They're just like us... don't you know? Just... like us... It's hopeless! Hee, hee. You might as well give up!" -Babbling Habnabit

(This message has been edited by Thok (edited 03-23-2003).)

Sparkles.

That is all.

------------------
"Tu sais bien que je ne pense jamais. Je suis bien trop intelligent pour รงa." Albert Camus , "Caligula"
INTRODUCING! Yet another bizarre and surreal blog, established by (url="http://"http://spamguy.blog-city.com")spamguy(/url)! (2.10)

Originally posted by spamguy:
**Sparkles.

That is all.

I've never found the sparkling to be anything more than a graphical glitch, and it rarely happens to me.

I will however agree that wall FG spikes are buggy and evil. Not enough information on ceiling spikes yet, though. But as far as I see, the floor FG spikes are fine.

...I forgot to mention that FG spikes can be overlayed on/over. Insert evil grin here.

------------------
"Hee hee... hee hee hee... I've seen them. I've been there. Hee hee... I've seen behind those masks they wear. They're just like us... don't you know? Just... like us... It's hopeless! Hee, hee. You might as well give up!" -Babbling Habnabit

I agree with you there Thok - I think the FG floor spikes are a great idea - and the sparkles don't show up if you use overlays. ๐Ÿ˜„

------------------
Liz the Wiz:)

I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.

Ive alwas found FG spikes handy for crunch tiles, that little tidbit about changing their damage is cool. I could make "instagib Spikes"

------------------
"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are not even capable of forming such opinions."
Albert Einstein

I've found(at least on my computer)that you can still climb up spikey walls if they have sparkles,instead of getting knocked back.puts spikes on both sides of a path going up ๐Ÿ˜‰

------------------
If life throws you lemons,throw lemons back at life and say i don't want any stinkin lemons!

Originally posted by DeepDeath666:
**I've found(at least on my computer)that you can still climb up spikey walls if they have sparkles,instead of getting knocked back.puts spikes on both sides of a path going up๐Ÿ˜‰

You will probably find they are not properly defined in the "define FG tiles" the values for them should be 200 (facing right), 201 (ceiling), 202 (facing left), and 203 (floor). Without the '200' values they act like ordinary tiles.

------------------
Liz the Wiz:)

I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.

Actually, it seems you can climb FG wall spikes. And they hurt you at the same time. Fun stuff.

------------------

Posted by Thok:
Actually, it seems you can climb FG wall spikes.

Are you implying that you've never climbed up a wall full of menacing spikes before? What prison have you not been living in?!

------------------
Dr. Tall says: Taller is Better
(url="http://"http://drtalll.tripod.com")Dr Tall Land(/url)