Sprite Properties

Hi, im new to this board so this question will probably seem naive and stupid to you mascot gurus, but i sorta need to know, how do you do things like make platforms and maces move? As well as how do you change unit colors? I know it has something to do with the 'edit sprite info' thing, but i cant figure out what numnbers to put into it. any info would be greatly apreciated.

------------------
'...and so Nathilia was banished from Teraknorn, but in the neighboring land of Denelia, Nathalia found the artifact known only as 'Mascot Editor' and from there he began to strike doom into the land of Teraknorn.'

(This message has been edited by Nathilia (edited 01-09-2003).)

If you want sprite info, browse around the old topics, they have a lot of info in them for beginners (please dont topic dig though) I also wrote this thing on mace and platform info which will probably be reasonably helpful.

Maces and Platforms

Info (0)

Info (0) of maces and platforms determines what kind of movement the mace will do. (vertical, horizontal, swing)

For a vertical mace/platform, put 1 in the info (0)

For a horizontal mace/platform, put 2 in info (0)

For spinning mace/platform, put 100 in the info (0)

For a swinging side to side mace/platform, put 11 in info (0)

For swinging regular mace (only mace) put 12 in info (0)

For a platform (only platform) that moves up when stepped on, put 7 in info (0)

Info (1)

Info (1) determines the distance that the object goes, 90 in info (1) is about 2-3 inches, be aware that vertical maces will go downward from where they are placed and horizontal ones will go left from where they are placed

Info (2)
This controls the speed of maces and platforms, its usually at about 1000, experiment till you get what you like

Info (3)
I really have no idea what this does, in certain cases it does something but I’m not exactly a total expert on this so I have no idea what.

Here is a group of example stats for platforms and maces, experiment using the information above.

Spinning with small range (Maces at beginning of Xichra’s palace)
(0) 100
(1) 1500
(2) 180
(3) 0

Platform, moves up when stepped on
112 <––––––– I don't know what this number does.

Platform or mace that moves up and down with reasonable speed and distance.
(0) 1
(1) 200
(2) 2000
(3) 0

Platform or mace, swing side to side on a chain.
(0) 11
(1) 190
(2) 0
(3) 330

mace that moves up and down with slow speed
(0) 1
(1) 90
(2) 750
(3) 0

Disappearing and Appearing Tile
(0) 52
(1) 30
(2) 90
(3) 22

Mace, Swinging Fast (side to side)
(0) 12
(1) 200
(2) 0
(3) 0

Side to Side Mace med-Slow
(0) 2
(1) 400
(2) 1500
(3) 0

Platform, disappears when stepped on
(0) 51
(1) 0
(2) 0
(3) 5

Platform, moves left when stepped on
(0) 6
(1) 475
(2) 900
(3) 475

I hope its helpful, and welcome to the boards!
------------------
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are not even capable of forming such opinions.

(This message has been edited by Salrillian (edited 01-09-2003).)

Welcome Nathilia to the Ferazel Boards.
Everybody who works for any time with Mascot swears blind that they will write a useable manual but unfortunately none of us has managed it yet. Most of the information we've picked up by trial and error and as Sarillion say you can glean a lot by browsing through old topics or you can check out the FAQ. Sometimes the information is quite hard to grasp at first reading and takes several attempts to get things right but don't give up. It's great fun when you get going.

Platforms, scythes and spike balls all work on the same basis - so do certain enemies such as gremlins and pirhanas.
Info(0) shows what kind of platform (etc.) you want the values for it are:

• 1: vertical

• 2: horizontal

• 3: floating

• 5: vertical, move when stepped on, stop otherwise

• 6: horizontal, move when stepped on, stop otherwise

• 7: vertical, move when stepped on, don't stop

• 8: horizontal, move when stepped on, don't stop

• 10: circular

• 11: pendulum

• 20: tricycle

• 21: bicycle

• 22: quadcycle

• 30: tilting see-saw (works for see-saw type platforms only)

• 50: fall-when-stepped-on platform

• 51: disappear-when-stepped-on platform

• 52: patterned disappearance platform

for platforms 1-30:
info (1) is the range in pixels (ie distance you want the platform to travel)
info (2) initial speed in 256 of a pixel per frame (as a rule of thumb 750 is an average speed)
info (3) Number of pixels rom the place you put it in Mascot that the platform starts to move.
for platform 50: - fall-when-stepped-on
info (1) no of ticks* before falling
info (2) no of pixels to fall
for platform 51: - disappear-when-stepped-on
info (1) no of ticks* before disappearing
info (2) no of ticks* before reappearing
for platform 52: - patterned disappearance
info (1) no of ticks* that the platform is visible
info (2) no of ticks* that the platform is invisible
info (3) no of ticks* into the pattern that you start.

• The value 260 is about 1 tile per second.

For scythes and Spike balls you also have the following options for info (0):

• 12: 3-D pendulum

• 13: 3-D circular vertical

• 14: 3-D circular horizontal

info (1) is the range in pixels (ie distance you want the platform to travel)
info (2) initial speed in 256 of a pixel per frame.
info (3) starting angle 0-360

------------------
Liz the Wiz:)

I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.

Originally posted by Nathilia:
**Hi, im new to this board so this question will probably seem naive and stupid to you mascot gurus, but i sorta need to know, how do you do things like make platforms and maces move? As well as how do you change unit colors? I know it has something to do with the 'edit sprite info' thing, but i cant figure out what numnbers to put into it. any info would be greatly apreciated.

Sorry i didnt mention this at first but my edit button is broken so i had to put it in a seperate topic. Sprite colors, you can change the color of all goblin units by putting 1-6 in info (2). 1=light brown 2=blue 3=teal 4=purple 5=dark brown and 6=white

------------------
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are not even capable of forming such opinions.

(This message has been edited by Salrillian (edited 01-10-2003).)

Thanks a ton both of you, that helps alot. I have yet another question, there are different PXbacks in the level info, however i dont know the ID numbers for any of them. Any PXback ID numbers would be appreciated.

------------------
'...and so Nathilia was banished from Teraknorn, but in the neighboring land of Denelia, Nathalia found the artifact known only as 'Mascot Editor' and from there he began to strike doom into the land of Teraknorn.'

**Thanks a ton both of you, that helps alot. I have yet another question, there are different PXbacks in the level info, however i dont know the ID numbers for any of them. Any PXback ID numbers would be appreciated.

I looked through Ferazels wand backrounds with resedit, here are the PXback tiles and their ID
207 Cave stalagmites
217 river mountains
257 lava mountains
267 forest
277 ice 1
287 ice 2
297 lava caves
307 forest&mountains;
317 deasert
327 marsh
337 Snowy Mountains
347 Xichras palace
357 purple haze
377 ruins
387 Xichras chamber
600 blue swirls
601 green swirls

------------------

Originally posted by Salrillian:
**I looked through Ferazels wand backrounds with resedit,

What is this resedit thing?

------------------

**What is this resedit thing?

Resedit is a program that lets you edit image files in the form of things like FW sprites or FW backrounds. You can probably get it off the apple website or it might have come with your computer. Be sure to use Resedit on a copy of the file, not the original

------------------

**Resedit is a program that lets you edit image files in the form of things like FW sprites or FW backrounds. You can probably get it off the apple website or it might have come with your computer. Be sure to use Resedit on a copy of the file, not the original

oh, thanks 🙂

------------------

**What is this resedit thing?

In addition to what Salrillian mentioned, resedit can look at the resources of any file or application on your computer, and is commonly used to create plugins for the Escape Velocity games, and I'm sure there are thousands of other things it can do. Welcome to the boards!

------------------
Signature currently in development.

Originally posted by Thok:
I'm sure there are thousands of other things it can do.

ResEdit is also vital if you want to use signs and make your level names appear on the map. You can get it from (url="http://"http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=417") here. (/url)

To do signs you have to make a STR# rescource numbered 500 (or copy one from another FWWD file) and type what you want on your sign into one of the string numbers. Then you put this string number into info(0) of the sign sprite.

To do the level names you have to make a STR# rescource numbered 1000, and type the level name into the corresponding number of the STR# resource.

------------------

I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.

Originally posted by lizwiz:
**ResEdit is also vital if you want to use signs and make your level names appear on the map. You can get it from here.

To do signs you have to make a STR# rescource numbered 500 (or copy one from another FWWD file) and type what you want on your sign into one of the string numbers. Then you put this string number into info(0) of the sign sprite.

To do the level names you have to make a STR# rescource numbered 1000, and type the level name into the corresponding number of the STR# resource.

Thanks both of you

------------------

(This message has been edited by Nathilia (edited 01-11-2003).)

**I looked through Ferazels wand backrounds snip

Make sure you get the right cluts to go with the backgrounds or they will look really wierd. If you look in FW Backgrounds in ResEdit theres a resource called cluts with the names of the backgrounds they represent by them. (more or less)

------------------