sysadmin's too fast

I am attempting to complete the arunmor mission which requires me to copy the Revelation research files. The problem I am encountering is that the main server is only 1 step away from the modem that connects it to the LAN so the sysadmin can trace me and boot me off before I can even manage to get past the cypher, password and voice systems.

Any advice / help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm stuck!!

------------------

I'm no great shakes at that game, but aren't there some LAN gizmos that can make it easier to hack ((eg. prevent traces)? You could also try use=ing Bypassers.

------------------

Originally posted by qball:
**I am attempting to complete the arunmor mission which requires me to copy the Revelation research files. The problem I am encountering is that the main server is only 1 step away from the modem that connects it to the LAN so the sysadmin can trace me and boot me off before I can even manage to get past the cypher, password and voice systems.

Any advice / help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm stuck!!

I've experimented and haven't noticed that a long thread to the main server on a LAN slows the admin down any. They're really fast, it may just be that you need a faster gateway. I was only ever able to copy 2-3 files at the most, even with 1600 MHz, at least on Darwin's LAN. But, are you breaking the voice code first? Don't start with the password, or the admin will come on immediately. Also, I've never seen an elliptical cypher on a LAN, at least it's main server.

------------------

I just bypass the darn thing but I can't figure out how to connect to other systems in the network.
Any help would be great.

------------------

Originally posted by Compoman:
**I just bypass the darn thing but I can't figure out how to connect to other systems in the network.
Any help would be great.

Working through the LAN is like simultaneously running through a maze and solving a puzzle. When you get on to hack into a Public Access Network first pull up your hud and bypassers, then open the LAN screen. You'll see a box, in the middle of the black square, on the right hand screen it will say Router (I think).

1. run LAN scanner
2. run LAN probe on and every box the scanner picks up
3. never run the LAN force, it alerts the administrator and you'll be kicked off very quickly.
4. follow the lines which the probe picks up and press connect to get to the various types of servers.
- a HUB just gives you more routes
- an Authentication server is the something you need to hack into in order to unlock keys. When you select a key a yellow line will show up around the Authenticator that controls that key.
- a Terminal contains modem numbers and frequencies. Before you connect to one, target it with a LAN spoof. Always write the numbers down exactly as they appear. Usually you will have to disconnect at some point and reenter the LAN through this new number. Sometimes the Terminals don't have any info at all. They're just a tease.
- a Frequency transmitter works like a modem, sort of. You'll need to enter whatever frequency number you found in the terminals.
- any more?

5. Don't forget to re-probe when you unlock Authenticators and gain entrance to Terminals.

6. And, yes at your final destination, the Main server on the LAN map, the administrator will start coming after you immediately. So, be prepared with your voice analyzer etc. before hand. When I'm going to be copying a lot, I usually pull down 5 or 6 copiers (and stack them on top of each other) before hand.

Here's a great site (url="http://"http://www.macgamer.net/games/uplink/")http://www.macgamer.net/games/uplink/(/url)
Good luck!!

------------------

This is my second run through uplink on the storyline missions - I got lazy on the first try and forgot to clear my logs right away after an attempt at the ARC LAN and got disavowed! In that case, the main server was quite a distance from the router and I had, at least, 60 seconds to get stuff done. In this case, the main server is only one link from a modem in the LAN so the sysadmin traces and disconnects me within 10 seconds of the inital alarm - as I said, I have barely been able to get past the security before I get cut off.

Is there any way I can enter the LAN through a different access server, and conect to this modem from within - theoretically giving me more time???

------------------

I spoke too soon before when I said that the distance didn't make a difference. Although I've never had 60 seconds on any LAN Main Server. I've run into the same problem as you. I don't think there is anyway around it except, to have a lot of CPU's.

------------------

Although I can't remember the names of the gateways, I have recently traded in my memory capacity for processing speed. I now have 3200 ghz?! and am able to get in and get one file copied before getting turfed. This will be a time consuming mission! I now have another issue - see my latest post topic...

------------------

(edited by mrxak: Please stay on topic)

(This message has been edited by mrxak (edited 06-28-2003).)