Something's gotta be wrong...

I have no clue why I lost my most recent user. I used Log Deleter 4 in InterNIC within seconds of every single disconnect I made.

I had just finished hacking a bank and transferring it to my Uplink account. I'm sure I missed something. I should have deleted the logs at both banks, huh?

------------------
Keep what ye c'n git, an' keep what ye ha'e, for that is the wey t' gettin' rich - Old Scottish Commoner Saying - "Mac users are loyal. PC users are stubborn

You have to get rid of the transaction logs at the banks. Otherwise they can trace you through the fact that you have a log pointing to your uplink account.

------------------

Okay. I was using my backup just a minute ago. I just finished deleting the logs from the bank I stole from and InterNIC. Then I went to the Uplink Bank. I accidentally put the Proxy Bypass on as they were scanning the Proxy. I finished deleting the transaction log. Then I went straight to InterNIC. When I was deleting my last log, I was informed that Uplink was 'informed...by a large corporation...blah blah blah."

What have I done wrong? I'm going back again to use another backup.

(edit) Okay. I transferred money from that stolen account to my account within the same bank. I deleted both logs and even InterNIC's logs. What am I missing? (/edit)

------------------
Keep what ye c'n git, an' keep what ye ha'e, for that is the wey t' gettin' rich - Old Scottish Commoner Saying - "Mac users are loyal. PC users are stubborn

Hacking a bank's hard. Took me a couple tries. Here's my "tutorial."

You can get an account number through one of the "Trace a Transfer" missions. When you find the account number where the money was transferred, write it down. You know it has a lot of money in it (usually over 1,000,000).

Set up ANOTHER account anywhere... it doesn't matter. Write down the IP / Acct. No.

Log into the bank (through several scure connections / InterNIC) where the account you want to hack is. Turn on your Connection Analyzer, Monitor Bypass, and Proxy Bypass. Type in the target account number and use the Password Breaker to crack the code. Once you're logged in, go to Transfer, type in the IP / Acct. No. of your OTHER account. Type in desired amount and click go. It should go through. Now, delete all record of the transaction from the Statement section using the Log Deleter 4.0. Log out and erase all connection details from InterNIC. Log into your OTHER bank account, check and make sure the money has arrived, and delete all details from the Statement section using Log Deleter 4.0. Make sure Proxy / Monitor Disable is on. Log out and delete all connection details from InterNIC. You should do this VERY FAST so they can't get a passive trace on you. Now, lay low for a few days to make sure they didn't trace you (I just FFed 2 days).

Now, pretty much the same process. Log into your OTHER bank account, bypass monitor / proxy, and transfer all money to your UPLINK account. Erase all transaction logs from Bank. Erase all connection logs from InterNIC. Connect to UPLINK bank account, bypass monitor / proxy, check to make sure the money is there, and delete the Transaction logs. Disconnect and delete InterNIC logs. Lay low for another few days to make yourself feel important.

That's it... you don't even need Admin access. Just make sure you back up your User file before you try just in case. With luck, you should now have 1,000,000 in your UPLINK account, so you can buy anything and everything you want.

------------------

Well, I just spent half an hour getting 25k to get the Monitor Bypass. And what happens? I GET BUSTED AGAIN!

I hacked the stolen account. I transferred to my account within that bank. I deleted the transfer log of the stolen account. I went to my account within that bank. I deleted the transfer log. I then started filling out a transfer order to send it to my Uplink account. Then I got the message from Uplink!

I was not traced at all, for I had Proxy Bypass 5, Monitor Bypass 5, and Log Deleter 4. What is going on? Why am I getting caught?!

------------------

You might as well just transfer directly to the Uplink account. Do exactly this:
1. Transfer the money to your Uplink Bank Account.
2. Delete Transaction logs at the stolen from account.
3. Very quickly hack the Uplink Bank and delete the Transaction logs.
4. Also very quickly hack Internic and delete those logs. I usually delete all the logs, so delete em all.

------------------
Trust is a weakness.

I was doing that before. I got caught. Then again, I didn't have the monitor bypass when I was doing it that way...

/me goes to try

------------------

Originally posted by The Space Between:
**Well, I just spent half an hour getting 25k to get the Monitor Bypass. And what happens? I GET BUSTED AGAIN!

I hacked the stolen account. I transferred to my account within that bank. I deleted the transfer log of the stolen account. I went to my account within that bank. I deleted the transfer log. I then started filling out a transfer order to send it to my Uplink account. Then I got the message from Uplink!

I was not traced at all, for I had Proxy Bypass 5, Monitor Bypass 5, and Log Deleter 4. What is going on? Why am I getting caught?!

You did everything right, EXCEPT, you did not go to interNIC and delete the logs there. If you don't delete the transfer logs (bank statement logs for the from AND to accounts) AND delete your trail (say by deleting bounce) then you WILL get picked up. That's the passive trace aspect (which is obviously an invisible process -- no way you can tell ;)).

I routinely hack banks to pass time, you just have to make sure to delete both transfer logs and bounce log. And you've got to do it as fast as you can manage it.

And just as an FYI, you don't need to put the money in your Uplink account at all (I don't bother, the extra effort isn't worth it). If you bring up your finance window (the $) you can click once to select any account there to be your "active" account. So if you put $1 million in an account, no need to transfer, just leave it there and select it before you buy stuff or whatever.

------------------

And this is how I hack banks...

Get an account number with lots of money, again getting the number from a "Trace a recent bank tranfer."
Use password hacker to get the password then log out, delete logs.
Create an account at the same bank that your stealing from.
Connect to the bank you are messing with, start by using Monitor Bypass then Porxy Bypass, as you already have the account and password log in and make the transfer. Then go back and delete the send log.
Log out of that account and log into your account, no need to reset up the bounces or proxy, delete the recieved logs and disconnect.
Head to whatever you used as your starting point and delete your logs, if 10 minutes passes your a free man... or women...

------------------

The hard thing about stealing from a bank is the extremely fast passive trace back to InterNIC. What you need is to build up a bounce trail of about 20 internal services machines, all with admin access, and go through every bank in the game (make sure you have dotted lines around them), along with whatever else you can scrounge up (government servers are great, like academic/social security/criminal). Having a very lengthy bounce trail will slow down the passive trace enough that it becomes humanly possible to not get caught.

I recommend creating an account on the same bank as the target account, so you don't have to log out and back in to delete the second statement.

be sure to HURRY to interNIC and delete the routed connection log and the admin accepted log.

Also, it saves some time if you already have the password to the target account before you begin. So you need to do bypasses and crack the password, then log out, clear interNIC and go back and do it for real.

Also, saving a bounce trail that does not include the uplink international bank and the target bank, which goes through the internic helps... then all you have to do to connect to UIB and delete your logs without being traced is to hit the load button, UIB, and connect.

'glove

------------------
Compilers - the ultimate god games.
(edit) I wish there was a preview feature on this board. (/edit)