Stock exchange and uplink ratings

Hi everyone,

Since you're reading my post I know that you're taking a quick break from this highly addictive game, thanks for taking your time 🙂 !

Stock exchange: There probably is a way to manipulate the stock prices but how? I logged in as a admin and bought shares and I'm pretty sure that I got charged for them. MAYBE I didn't and my mind is playing tricks on me.

So is my theory correct that I should buy shares in a company A as "me" and then log in as admin buy tons of shares of A so the share price goes up and I make a nice profit? Or am I missing something...?

Uplink ratings:

I just made it to Grade 4 (Expert), it took me forever to go from Elite (which was very quick) to Mage to Expert. I've been doing all kinds of framing missions (bank fraud, computer crimes and ruin life), also lots of destruction of computer systems... I've tried a couple of Data destructions but I don't have enough time to delete all usr files AND still have them catch the "culprit" :). If I do these ?data frames? in stages, they never seem to catch him. I've done two or three bank hacks but I really don't need the funds..

What am I missing? Do you just need tons of missions? Should they be only of a certain type (upgrade neuromancer) or just lots of bank hacks? I haven't seen any LAN missions (my favorite) for quite some time. I'm almost sure my neuromancer level (morally bankrupt) shouldn't be affecting my mission options. So please give me some tips.

How does one become a grade 1?

Phillyman

BTW: I haven't been doing the storylines with this Agent. Do I have to finish one of them to progress higher?

------------------

Well, I haven't found access to the stock market yet, but, in one of the news reports I read (about my agent) about my destroying a server, the news report said that the company's stock plummeted (they had been destroyed twice in a row. So much fun! :)) So, I think that's a potential way. Destroy their servers a few times, buy the stock, let it go back up? Interesting idea at least.

------------------

Hey thanks! I've read those news reports and never made the link.. Can anybody confirm that this intriguing idea works?

Phillyman

------------------

I believe that is one way. That's what I thought when I saw one of those news reports. Why not, eh?

------------------
Keep what ye c'n git, an' keep what ye ha'e, for that is the wey t' gettin' rich - Old Scottish Commoner Saying - "Mac users are loyal. PC users are stubborn

Yes that works, and doing a mission for a company will increase their stocks generally. Although you can't really make alot of money that way, as all the stocks have very narrow ranges. Introversion stock is a notable exception, its price grows to astronomic heights. 🙂

------------------
(url="http://"http://uplink.stewsburntmonkey.com")The Uplink Directory(/url)

Hmm.

Introversion's website:
**You use the money you earn to upgrade your computer systems, and to buy new software and tools. As your experience level increases you find more dangerous and profitable missions become available. You can speculate on a fully working stock market (and even influence its outcome). You can modify =peoples academic or criminal records. You can divert money from bank transfers =into your own accounts. You can even take part in the construction of the most deadly computer virus ever designed.

Sounds like it too me, but I have yet to try.

------------------

I made a mission where I ruined a central mainframe of a company. I checked their stock before the hack - it was 10c. I did the hack, completely destroyed the server. Fast-forward, the news item appears: years of research lost, CEO tried to calm the public down, this is obviously a big loss etc. I check the stock - 10c. What gives? Maybe the stock will react later on, but I doubt it - the stock markets should react fast, shouldn't they?

Or is a central mainframe destroyed not serious enough? Which missions do I have to take to influence stock? How did you do it?

(Note: I didn't yet start the storyline mission)

------------------

Stocks only change at the end of a month

And play for a whole 2 months taking no notice of the story, and you'll miss it completely. This has agrivated alot of people recently.

I'd recommend leaving the stock market alone, unless you're experimenting and arent planning to ever use that user for anything else.

Originally posted by athagon:
**Well, I haven't found access to the stock market yet, but, in one of the news reports I read (about my agent) about my destroying a server, the news report said that the company's stock plummeted (they had been destroyed twice in a row. So much fun!:) ) So, I think that's a potential way. Destroy their servers a few times, buy the stock, let it go back up? Interesting idea at least.

The IP for the stock exchange is 456.789.159.459, but whenever I connect, I don't get the "new (stock) account" option. I've registered the game, but it still doesn't show up.

------------------
"All your base are belong to us!" - Cats
"There is no idea so good it can't be ruined by a few well-placed idiots."
- Scott Adams
"Black holes are God's way of dividing by zero."

(This message has been edited by Pheonix (edited 06-01-2003).)

Only agents created with a registered version of the game can access the stock market. If you created an agent and then registered, that agent misses out on it. However, its really not all that interesting anyway... (Better to look for other things...)

------------------
CI-I@()s
(url="http://"http://www.evula.org/world-of-cha0s/")The Homepage of Cha0s(/url)