Wind Question

I just have a simple question, in the mascot editor, how do you change the strength & direction of wind tiles

------------------

ahem

(quoted post from Ben Spees)
"The Wind Current tiles are changed with the square bracket and backslash keys, if I remember correctly. I know this is cheesy but it was a very quick addition at the time. These sorts of badly-designed parts of the interface are mostly due to last-minute feature additions to the game during the crunch period right before release. Since the editor wasn't originally intended for release, you guys all have to deal with my weird interface now... sorry!" The + and - keys change direction, followed by a click approximately on the tile where you want the arrow to point. Sometimes it points that way, sometimes it doesn't. "Plus" + seems to signify right, "minus" - left. Then, by moving your mouse into a tile corner, hitting plus or minus ONCE, and clicking, you can refine the arrow's direction pixel-by-pixel. It doesn't act as you want, sometimes. Tiles > FG Wind Kind Edit Mode Click on where you want your wind tile. You should see an arrow pointing up with a 50. Now say you want a tile to be strength of 60. Press the ) (left bracket) key once. Now click where you want the 60 strength tile. Now maybe you want a 40 strength tile. Press the ( (right bracket) key twice. Click where you want your 40 strength tile. You just have to remember what speed you are at, because you modify the strength before you set down your wind tile. Now you go into FG Wind Dir Edit Mode and holding down the + (plus) key and clicking on the tiles the wind direction will rotate around.

------------------
Signature currently in development.

Originally posted by Salrillian:
**I just have a simple question, in the mascot editor, how do you change the strength & direction of wind tiles

The wind tiles take some getting used to, and - dare I say it - Ben's instructions can be a little confusing at times. Both the "DIR" (direction) and "strength" edit serve exactly the same function so you can use either. The tiles normally start at speed 50 and blow upwards.

Go to "Tiles/Wind Current DIR edit" and create just one tile to start with and decide what speed you want your wind to be. Then hit the "(" (for each 10 less) or ")" (for each 10 greater) then click once on your wind tile. ie if you want the wind speed at 90 just press ")" 4 times and click on the tile.

For wind direction use "-" (clockwise) and "+" (anticlockwise) each click on the + or - moves the arrow 10° ie 9 clicks on "-" then click on the wind tile moves the arrow to directly right when you start from straight up.

When you have the speed and direction you want click and drag to cover the area you want with wind tiles. To delete tiles just wipe them over with the delete key pressed whilst still in the "Wind Current DIR edit" mode.

As far as I can see the backslash key has no effect on anything.
------------------
Liz the Wiz 🙂

I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.

(This message has been edited by lizwiz (edited 10-15-2002).)