A Momentary Lapse of Resuscitation...

only n00bs reminisce of Avara

us champs.... still playa playin tha game haterzzz

Avaras still the best game there ever was, ive played alot of games, but its still the best and always will be

if u want a REALLY crummy mac to play Avara with, HIT ME UP, my dad owns a mac store and has TONS of OLLDD, SUPER CHEAP ($20-$50!) and cheaper prolly junker macs perfect for Avara and nothing else 🙂

So dont bitch about it not being ported, I offer you 100% solution!!!

admit the real reason, you just scared of gettin danced at!!

Hi sphinx, that you? Hook us all up with some 20 dollar macs, and we'll be the ones dancing over your blown apart hector.

This post has been edited by Groove : 21 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

@groove, on Apr 21 2007, 04:46 PM, said in A Momentary Lapse of Resuscitation...:

Hi sphinx, that you? Hook us all up with some 20 dollar macs, and we'll be the ones dancing over your blown apart hector.

I remember what kind of damage Avara did to my ability to play FPSes when I started playing the likes of Quake and UT, I can only imagine what kind of damage 5 years of uninterrupted FPS gaming has done to my Avara skills. . . .

Nope... can't... turn that far. Uh oh.

Huh?

I'm referring to your firing arc depending on which way you point your HECTOR's base, and how other FPS's mess that up.

Avaras all about the things that arent possible in other games, that were never intended to be possible in Avara but are and are very useful, thats what makes it untouchable.

For example youve got the elite series of moves which include;

Those ive mastered:
- Double-bounce superjumps
- Verticle Shift dodging (both on ground and midair)
- Grenade Tuck Shots
- Grenade Drop Shots
- Grenade Sling Shots
- Mid-Air Grenade follow throughs
- Instant Scout Surf (SJ method)

Those ive yet to master (the uber-elite moves)
- Super-Speed Wallslide Escapes
- Corner Stall
- Pointed Corner Stall
- Wallside to Corner Stall
- Superjump to Underground Transfers (success on first try)

Im sure I forgot a few from there, but thems the basic super champiogne moves

What are those? How?

^
are you askin how to do them??

Well, for instance the tuck shot is when u fire a grenade at an exact perfect point in time as the instance ur hector jumps, and instead of the grenade arching it just flies in a straight line to their head with intense velocity. This usually pushes them back a bit right into the perfect zone that you can pull an immediate drop shot (in the same jump as u started), a drop shots when u fire a grenade at the instance you land onto something of a higher elevation than your target and the targets below your heads grenade reach. The physics cause a "fling" effect and the grenade, if fired at the exact right time which I cant explain when it is but 100% know it when I feel it, then the grenade will reach targets lower than what you could normally hit. Sling shots are tuck shots that are done when ur hectors dropped from an object or an SJ, hits the ground and you do a Super-Jump Double-Bounce with forward velocity, just like the tuck shot, the instant ur to come up from touching groud fire a grenade, and it will do a tuck-shot with EXTREME velocity to it and usually a slight upward trajectory that lobs them into the sky from the chin, then as your both facing eachother midair you finish them off with a nade or two matrix-style 😉

No, just what they are.

They are some moves that while used in play, were never really given names before dan.

^

are u kidding?

Ive only seen 3 peeps do tuck shots, me, hons, and apparently now YMIhere does them (although he doesnt realise it cause he auto-cloned me/hons style)

and ive never seen anyone but me and hons intentionally pull corner stalls to avoid nade volleys

ALTHOUGH you did LUCK OUT on that super speed wallslide you pulled in ryans Sirote level that saved your ass primely, however I suspect that was more nub-spasm-luck rather than a thought out objective, but either way it was executed flawlessly, you crossed the whole level in 1 second.

Hey fellas. I got an old iMac running OS 9 so you may expect seeing me around sometimes.

Hey everyone,

I posted a loooong time ago about getting some folks together to rewrite Avara. I'm still interested in doing it. If there are others, please respond...

I've received e-mail from two different people interested in helping out. These were received over the course of the last year or so, but I'll bet they would respond if others did, too.

Now, are these people who want to or people who have the knowledge and ability to and want to?

Hey everyone,

I posted a loooong time ago about getting some folks together to rewrite Avara. I'm still interested in doing it. If there are others, please respond...

I've received e-mail from two different people interested in helping out. These were received over the course of the last year or so, but I'll bet they would respond if others did, too.

I remember you! You were the one posting about the java remake of Avara, right? Javara, I think you called it. I recall you had other projects that were more important at the time. Are those projects now out of the way now and are you free to work on Avara? Did you ever recieve a reply from Ambrosia giving you permission to do the port?

I would be very interested in helping, though I am sorry to say that my skills are probably very limited. I could work on map making if that becomes a possibility. Other than that I don't think I could be of much use.

I myself have been hoping to start a project of rewriting Avara. Recently I have been looking for coders for a stand-alone quake 3 mod (ioquake3.org), but I am worried the engine will not be able to replicate features of Avara very closely. Features like seperate head and body movement and Avara's other unique physics would be much easier to implement if the source code could be read. However, with enough work, I'm sure it could be made possible. It would of course, still be very radically different from Avara.

This post has been edited by Groove : 09 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

@groove, on May 9 2007, 07:17 PM, said in A Momentary Lapse of Resuscitation...:

I remember you! You were the one posting about the java remake of Avara, right? Javara, I think you called it. I recall you had other projects that were more important at the time. Are those projects now out of the way now and are you free to work on Avara? Did you ever recieve a reply from Ambrosia giving you permission to do the port?

I would be very interested in helping, though I am sorry to say that my skills are probably very limited. I could work on map making if that becomes a possibility. Other than that I don't think I could be of much use.

I myself have been hoping to start a project of rewriting Avara. Recently I have been looking for coders for a stand-alone quake 3 mod (ioquake3.org), but I am worried the engine will not be able to replicate features of Avara very closely. Features like seperate head and body movement and Avara's other unique physics would be much easier to implement if the source code could be read. However, with enough work, I'm sure it could be made possible. It would of course, still be very radically different from Avara.

Yep! That's me. I am working full time now, but I definitely could use a side project so my brain doesn't completely fall into the corporate world. I did not really receive a reply from Ambrosia, but Juri did mention that he'd be happy to help with algorithms and other light work.

Before I start mocking up a simple design, I suppose I should ask the small community we have here for your opinion: do you want an almost exact rewrite of the game, graphics and all? Would you rather have an "updated" version with better graphics, textures, etc.? Personally, I'd love to have it be very simple, look and feel exactly the same, but I'd love to hear what others have to say.

I have a Google Code site set up here: http://code.google.com/p/javara/

I'm working on some barebone mockups right now. Can anyone out there remind me what the GUI looks like and how it acts? Can you point me to (or take and e-mail to me) screenshots of the game creation, chatting, etc. screens? I remember there being 3 main GUI elements: the 3D area/viewport, the chatting/game status bar at the bottom, and the game status dialog that showed names and colors and chatting.

I did not really receive a reply from Ambrosia, but Juri did mention that he'd be happy to help with algorithms and other light work.

Before I start mocking up a simple design, I suppose I should ask the small community we have here for your opinion: do you want an almost exact rewrite of the game, graphics and all? Would you rather have an "updated" version with better graphics, textures, etc.? Personally, I'd love to have it be very simple, look and feel exactly the same, but I'd love to hear what others have to say.

I have a Google Code site set up here: http://code.google.com/p/javara/

I'm working on some barebone mockups right now. Can anyone out there remind me what the GUI looks like and how it acts? Can you point me to (or take and e-mail to me) screenshots of the game creation, chatting, etc. screens? I remember there being 3 main GUI elements: the 3D area/viewport, the chatting/game status bar at the bottom, and the game status dialog that showed names and colors and chatting.

I pm'd you some pics for design. I would say to keep things simple and stick to the original. We don't want to be overly ambitious.

@yellowbkpk, on May 9 2007, 09:16 PM, said in A Momentary Lapse of Resuscitation...:

<snip />

I don't think the game mechanics should change much or, necessarily, at all as that was what made Avara so great. A mild graphics update might be interesting, but really ins't necessary. Avara's graphics were simple, but appropriate. I'd like to see an Aftershock-style class-system in addition to the standard gameplay. I think simply providing an accurate copy of the original's game mechanics, plus a strong scriptions and plugin system would be wise.

I'd like to see an Aftershock-style class-system in addition to the standard gameplay.

No, that should be a completely seperate project. However, I do think that the moddability of the game should be higher to make that sort of thing possible. First we need to get the original gameplay down. Then we can work on Aftershock/Team Arena/Counterstrike whatever.