Of Possible Interest to Avara's Users

Seems there's someone over at MetaFilter interested in rewriting Avara for OS X. I'm not sure how this differs from a port meaningfully.

I'm sure there are many people out there that would love to see this happen (myself included), but last I heard, Ambrosia was... reluctant... to release the source code. Maybe opinions have changed while I was absent over the past few years, but if not, it would take a complete re-write. Fresh code, sounds, BSPs. I'm not sure what claim Ambrosia has over the maps that have been created (beyond the ones included with the game that is)... Point being, it would be more of an Avara clone than a port. Ambrosia might be even less fond of that idea given that they wouldn't have a leash on the project.

All of that stuff aside, the guy has to write the thing first. And I am ALL FOR helping him. From what I read at this link, he doesn't need the source code, but actually wants to re-write the game.

If you're reading this, Mr. yellowbkpk, I will definitely help you to get all the shape files and everything--And I've successfully set several people up with working emulators to play Avara.

Theres not really a way to contact you on this MetaFilter site, you have to pay for an account, but if you have any questions on general Avara topics, including the status of the community, or details on how Avara works, you can drop me a line.

andy.halstead(at)gmail.com

Cheers!

Though my skills outside of making suggestions an concept design are limited, I am always willing to help in any way I can.

Actually, a port would be quite possible, provided you could get Java3D to shade the same way Avara did.

There are resource fork readers for non-Mac systems. The BSPs would be no big deal. System 7 sounds are already used by WinNova, so I don't think the sound files would give you much trouble.

My main complaint would be Java... would stop my system in its tracks.

I think I just creamed my pants.

His email's in the profile: dot dees at gmail dot com

@croc, on May 25 2006, 04:43 PM, said in Of Possible Interest to Avara's Users:

All of that stuff aside, the guy has to write the thing first. And I am ALL FOR helping him. From what I read at this link, he doesn't need the source code, but actually wants to re-write the game.

If you're reading this, Mr. yellowbkpk, I will definitely help you to get all the shape files and everything--And I've successfully set several people up with working emulators to play Avara.

Theres not really a way to contact you on this MetaFilter site, you have to pay for an account, but if you have any questions on general Avara topics, including the status of the community, or details on how Avara works, you can drop me a line.

andy.halstead(at)gmail.com

Cheers!

We can't view his profile.

Maybe if you registered and logged in?

This post has been edited by The Apple Cřre : 26 May 2006 - 04:43 PM

Hi Everybody,

YellowBkpk from Metafilter here. I am quite interested in re-writing Avara and glad to see that there's interest.

A couple of points:
- I only suggested Java3D because I'm fluent in Java and decent in Java3D. If you folks have any suggestions for other languages that might be faster, let me know. (I'd like to stay cross-platform, though)
- I think my request for models and sounds was a little premature -- it might be worth writing some actual code before the models are put in.
- My e-mail account is ian dot dees at gmail dot com. Feel free to e-mail me there if you're interested. Spread the word!

-Ian

Also, if anyone has a way to get ahold of real Ambrosia folks, please let me know. I've sent several e-mails in to their PR, developer, and general e-mail accounts and haven't received anything in a week.

-Ian

D'oh. I didn't realize you had to be a member to see the profiles. Sorry about that.

I guess it's moot anyway since Ian showed up.

@-carlet--wordfish, on May 26 2006, 05:09 PM, said in Of Possible Interest to Avara's Users:

We can't view his profile.

FYI: John Champlin (MagnusApollo on the boards) has forwarded my request for help on to the right people. I will let you know if anyone responds!

@yellowbkpk, on May 31 2006, 08:57 AM, said in Of Possible Interest to Avara's Users:

FYI: John Champlin (MagnusApollo on the boards) has forwarded my request for help on to the right people. I will let you know if anyone responds!

Sweet, dude!

Has anything happened with this? I know things have been hectically busy at Ambrosia, so probably not.

Bump...

Update, anyone?

@kgb, on Jul 23 2006, 03:15 AM, said in Of Possible Interest to Avara's Users:

Bump...

Update, anyone?

Hi everyone,

I didn't have as much time as I thought I would have this summer, so the java Avara project has been put on the back burner for a little bit. I will update here when it gets back up to the top of my queue.

I've heard from Juri, who was willing to help out on specific problems and algorithms, but I have yet to hear back from anyone at Ambrosia.

If anyone can think of a good first milestone to reach for for this, reply here. How about a name? Suggestions for other languages to use?

Other languages? C/C++-based SDL will work across platforms. SDL is probably best for preserving the Avara look we know and love.

Kos###a.

Finnish for "murmur" (supposedly). A vague reference to an earthquake, which this silly translator didn't have.

-§torm

This post has been edited by Consul Bob : 05 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

Bump again.
Newbie here running it on an iBook and wish I could run it on my MacBook Pro dually intel.