New Generation

Are there any new players of Avara?

There seems to be a revived interest in Avara (mostly thanks to Katana I think) and it's a good thing too because September 2006 will be Avara's 10th year anniversary.

I'm seeing a lot of community spirit from the late '90s and I know a lot of people got into Avara when they were a lot younger than they are now (such as myself), but some people didn't have the Internet back then (yes, people like me - sad isn't it).

So I sort of consider myself as part of a new generation of "Avarans". Are there new Avara players these days? Perhaps I'm being too optimistic. Maybe we all played in the late '90s and are now just coming together on the 'net with a strong feeling of nostalgia. Anyone here new to Avara anyway?

I've spent the past couple of days making a "tribute" to Avara in my blog. It comes in two parts because I was too busy reading a lot of old postings on the Avara.org board, grabbing various pieces of information from old websites, playing Zibrack99, getting adjusted to Mondo's eccentric levels, re-visiting the default levels, and uploading screenshots.
Avara (Part One)
Avara (Part Two)

What I'm hoping to achieve by my entries is to pump new life into Avara by showing people who never knew about it what it was like to play it. Maybe we could end up with a new generation of players one day. Maybe we could end up with.. gee I don't know.. Avara 2? 😛

We're all over at the Avara Guild. Come on in.

As for Avara 2, don't hold your breath. You will suffocate.

There are maybe a few new players, but unfortunately nobody wants to waste time with OS9/Classic nowadays.

Your blog is cool, though. Good job. : D

-§carlet §wordfish

This post has been edited by Robert Marlin : 10 December 2005 - 10:37 AM

I run Avara under Linux. Legally, and with a domain-name-inept system 7.5 under Basilisk. Can't feed it tracker.avara.com... have to feed it raw IP addresses.

I'd say that the major interest was formed through Q-Lok-at least, the new era itself. The stage was set when I met up with §wordfish (then Robert Marlin). Katana completed the circle.

Tell me what you think of all the articles, by the way-it would be helpful.

Edit: Ah, on the side. This may sound nitpicky-but could you replace the "Consul Bob" there with §carlet §torm? I generally never use Consul Bob in actual Avara play.

-§carlet §torm

This post has been edited by Consul Bob : 10 December 2005 - 06:00 PM

Yep, was fortunate enough to find out about Avara Guild a few days ago.
The articles are well-written and informative.
Name changed from Consul Bob to §carlet §torm. Also added §carlet §wordfish and Q-Lok.

Thanks for taking a look at my entries. I appreciate it. 🆒

You should note that I'm (fairly) new.

psyphen, on Dec 10 2005, 06:38 AM, said:

Anyone here new to Avara anyway?View Post

I think I can say I am new to some really old players. I've been playing Avara for 3-4 years, however, so in some respects I'm not new. But I don't recognize you so I'm probably new to you.

I remember you.

You're that scented lemming...

You need to define "new". I've played single player Avara since around '98, but I only started playing on the net a few months ago.

Yes, I'm the Scented Lemming. And "new" I guess is just comparing me to the people who played a long time ago and never saw me. I've been playing a long time, though, but I'm still new to oldbies who never saw me.

"New" to the net community would probably be "started playing networked Avara recently", whatever recently is.

My article on Avara (now combined into one entry) has moved here to my EFx2 blog because ModBlog (shakes fist) ended up being a piece of crap :mad:

If you see any mistakes in it then reply here to let me know <_<

By the way, thanks to the people of Avara Guild for letting me idle in irc.ambrosia.net #avara :rolleyes:

My article on Avara (now combined into one entry) has moved here to my EFx2 blog because ModBlog (shakes fist) ended up being a piece of crap

You can also post it in Avara InFormation at the Guild.

Hallo.

psyphen, on Dec 10 2005, 07:38 AM, said:

Maybe we could end up with.. gee I don't know.. Avara 2? 😛
View Post

Avara 2 already exists in the form of my upcoming lvl, get with the times bud.

Posted Image

Still not OS X native, man.

BGH lookin' cool.

Yeah. It looks hella cool. But it's never going to be finished.

^ Maybe. Its coming along pretty good recently. Up from 1 uber structure to 3, + 4 minor structures and alotta jungle.

Has critters now too like butterflies and bugs and like over a dozen diff species of plants.

The last version of that took 10 minutes for Basilisk to load...

Ouch.