Any way to play on G5?

I am running an apple G5 with os X 10.3.9 installed. If you are familiar with that comp you know it doesn't come with os 9 installed. I tried to install os 9 manually but the installer requires classic to run 😞 . Does anyone know of any way to play avara on my computer? e.g. emulators, ways to install...ect. I reallllly wanna play avara but i can't!

Thanks

You can install Classic off of your Software Restore discs, but not OS 9-the ROMS don't support.

Or, if you really want to, you could get an old B/W G3 and use that to run OS 9.

Just a suggestion.

Basilisk II. If you get this version, be sure you turn dynamic recompiling off before you join a networked game. If you don't, reality will frag. Fine print: you have to have a copy of system 7.5 and a 68k ROM image. These are up for download illegaly somewhere, or you could get a ROM puller utility and pull it from your Quadra without breaking any copyright laws. I myself prefer the latter.

Well i don't have access to any older computers, i have a G5 and a windows. Bassilisk sounds good but i dont' really want to download something illegally nor do i have access to system 7.5 or a quadro lol. Looks like im off avara till I can get my windows clone done/ convince ambrosia to port it(ya fat chance i know)

Avara 1.0.2 is supposed to work well enough with the Classic environment. On the other hand, I haven't played it myself.

No see the thing is my computer doesn't have the classic enviroment, and ive been unsuccessful in trying to install it.

I thought all versions of X came with Classic installed. So if you went into your system prefs and looked down in the system section, you wouldn't see any control for Classic? Odd.

I have classic prefs but not the actual classic folder that it runs on. I tried taking the system folder from the cd and using that but apparently there are hidden items in the cd which the system folder needs.

As Mackilroy suggested, you can install Classic on your iMac G5. Mine didn't come with Classic pre-installed, so I looked at the stuff I received with my computer and found a CD named "iMac G5 Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test".

Place that CD into your drive. A window will appear. Double-click on an icon named "Install Additional Software" and follow the instructions to install Mac OS 9.2 (Classic) on your iMac G5.

Install version 1.0.2 of Avara (since it runs a lot smoother under Classic). You can download it from ftp://ftp.ambrosiasw...tials/Avara.bin

This post has been edited by psyphen : 08 December 2005 - 12:25 AM

Hmm..what if I can't find that CD? I just looked at the stuff the mac came with and it says that OS 9 installer was included, so I know i had the cd at some point. There should be a classic installer for X up for download i think. Would be very helpful.

It would be very helpful. Especially if Apple had it up for grabs on their site somewhere, but I haven't looked if they have it and I highly doubt they would have the installer sitting there on the 'net.

If you live near a city then I would assume some folks at an AppleCentre might give you a copy. Otherwise, you'll most likely would have to spend hours searching through P2P networks.

I'm sure you have the CD somewhere anyway. Every iMac G5 came with it. Maybe you haven't looked hard enough or you've forgotten where you put it. Mine is still sitting underneath my iMac collecting dust.

I don't think Apple would have a 600 meg disk image of an obsolete OS sittong around for download, especially considering the fraction of people I've talked to that don't know where their normal install CDs went.