Can't get appletalk to work with Avara

This is in classic mode.

Whenever I try to start a server or connect to one Avara tells me to start up appletalk in the chooser (Just a note, appletalk works fine with another game, Bolo). But the only thing in chooser is appleshare and when I try that it tells me I need an extension I don't have. Do I need to get it? I'm all fuzzy about this, it's been so long since I played Avara.

What system are you running? Also, are you trying to connect to a game on a LAN, or the internet?

The internet, though knowing how to do it over LAN would be nice too. I didn't really see any distinction in-game.

Running classic mode in os X on a G4 iMac.

Actually boot 9. Many things will work better.

There is a switch in the bottom right section of the Chooser screen. That is your OS 9 Appletalk switch. In X, it's in your network control panel.

Internet games are not run from Appletalk. Those are run through TCP/IP. If you're behind a router and haven't set it up right, you can't host.

I, on the other hand, have to fight with Linux, Ethertap, and Basilisk to get it to network, and I haven't had much success yet. I will post a howto in the event that I get it to work.

Do you know what ports Avara uses so that I could configure my router correctly?

I'm also curious if there is an old Mac emulator for windows that I could use to convince everyone I meed in college to play the game (when I get there).

I believe the emulator you're looking for is Basilisk. In order to legally use it, you have to use the ROM from a machine that you actually own, and a copy of the Mac OS that you actually own. As for networking with Basilisk... I'll get back to you when I get my problems puzzled out. I think something to do with the fact that my copy of system 7.5 is the most pathetic thing to ever run on a Mac, real or emulated.

Avara's default port is 19567.

I wonder, will Avara run in System 6?

Probably not.

On the other hand, I don't have a Mac II rom to find out with.

I checked the Avara page's system requirements and found something very strange...

"This product is not OS X compatible. "
Uh...excuse me? That's not entirely true. While OS X is not the operating system Avara was created on, or runs best on, Avara 1.0.2 has many improvements to make it OS X compatible.
I don't ever remember seeing that on the page before...could this be the work of Taz?

While we're at it, the link on the Avara page points to Avara 1.0.1... at least, that's what I got out of it. You have to go to the annoyingly busy FTP site to get 1.0.2.

Katana !!!, on Oct 14 2005, 10:09 AM, said:

I don't ever remember seeing that on the page before...could this be the work of Taz?

You are quite wrong, oh insignificant one.

While the statement is partly true, I, too, only recently noticed it.

When was this added?

October 2004.

You could've been beneficial for Avara, Taz. It's too bad we're enemies. I can see where you're coming from though, I would be angry if some new generation came along and started a new moderator poll.

Anyways, I realize you don't have acess to editing that page so it couldn't have possibly been you. It was stupid of me to make that assumption, why would you do such a thing?
Sorry for being an ###### and an idiot, anyways.