Questions about the tracker

I have a few questions about the Avara tracker.
1. What kind of server is it running on?
2. What software does the tracker use?
3. Where can I get a copy of the software the tracker uses?

------------------
How to use a tooth pick: Hold stick near center of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion.
This message brought to you by the Campaign to Save the Humans. We bid you farewell

I may have some of this wrong, but until corrected:

1. It's either on xanadu (an XServe) or on Asgard (a PMG4). Although it could be running off the old Janus server.
2. I believe it was coded either by Juri, or by someone at Ambrosia SW. It is not something you can purchase.
3. You can't. Write your own.

------------------
"You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller..."
Weird Al's "It's All About The Pentiums"

Originally posted by Taz!:
3. You can't. Write your own.

Is the network protocol described anywhere? Without that, it's almost impossible to write your own.

'glove

------------------
Compilers - the ultimate god games.
(edit) I wish there was a preview feature on this board. (/edit)

**I may have some of this wrong, but until corrected:

1. It's either on xanadu (an XServe) or on Asgard (a PMG4). Although it could be running off the old Janus server.

Just to keep you in the loop, the last head of Janus is toast. It smashed itself a few months ago. So it's either Xanadu, Asgard, Berserkir, or ?Bob? I'd wager.

------------------
Quokka!

Originally posted by Kidglove II:
**Is the network protocol described anywhere? Without that, it's almost impossible to write your own.

'glove

I don't believe it is described anywhere, but you could email Juri and ask him if we would want to share it with you. Or you could download a packet sniffer and watch what datagrams are sent to and from the tracker to your program when you use the tracker, or mini-tracker, and decipher it. It would be a round-about way, but you would get some idea.
Sorry, I don't have a better answer for you.

------------------
"You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller..."
Weird Al's "It's All About The Pentiums"

I don't believe it is described anywhere, but you could email Juri and ask him if we would want to share it with you.

That would probably be the simplest way to do it.

Or you could download a packet sniffer and watch what datagrams are sent to and from the tracker to your program when you use the tracker, or mini-tracker, and decipher it. It would be a round-about way, but you would get some idea.

This is fraught with difficulty - especially if there are checksums or anything like that in any of the packets. I'm not too worried about the legal aspect; it is legal to do it in this country, but it's probably a whole lot easier just to ask Juri if he remembers (or can get at) the network protocol.

I regret having to say that I was merely trying to help ask the right questions - I don't have an OS 9 able compiler, so I can probably not help out coding the tracker program. All I can do right now is OS X. :frown:

'glove

------------------
Compilers - the ultimate god games.
(edit) I wish there was a preview feature on this board. (/edit)

(This message has been edited by Kidglove II (edited 05-24-2003).)