Windows or Linux version

cringes at the incoming flames
Yes, I know that with all of the pretty Quake, Unreal, Tribes, etc series that are out on the PC, not to mention the Mechwarrior series, that something like Avara, with its dated gameplay and graphics, would catch on about how bolo->winbolo did (but hey, winbolo is extremely fun, and there still is a great following of players), and also seeing that Ambrosia is trying to cater to the PC world, I was wondering Ambrosia has thought about re-releasing Avara (or just porting it) to the Windows platform, or even linux, since I (and a bunch of other people) jumped off the Mac bandwagon a few years ago (which saddens me, since I'm regetting selling my bondi blue g3), have probably wanted to play this for a while now.

Emulation, yeah yeah, but its kinda tedious having to emulate a nasty old quadra to play this beautiful game.

Any other thoughts?

------------------

Other people can correct me if I'm somehow :amazingly: wrong, but sadly, it ain't gunna happen. We want it ot be Carbonised. Will it be? Nope.
So I'd say the chances of it being ported to other platforms is nothing. :zilch:

------------------
Vote 1 for Zaphod Beeblebrox- No one can escape Beeblebrox!

Yeah, Mac gamers are more open to err... different types of games like Avara. While most PC gamers would ecshew this game away, it was one of the greatest Mac games in the past.

------------------
The many faces of
Logalot

Avara works wonderfuly under BasiliskII for windows. I run it on Win2k 1ghz with 512 ram and it just rips along (under MacOS 7.5.6). I don't know how the linux version handels mouse capture, but for windows I started off with the same problem as OSX, but when I clicked the checkbox for enhansed mouse emulation it worked fine. I think in the unix version control-alt-F5 does the same thing. If you need any help getting started, or finding a coughROMcough, drop me a line at griffin_o_the_tame@hotmail.com and I'll try and point you in the right direction! (the hardest part to figue out is you need to release the ethernet card on the windoes side to let the macos take it, otherwise the build in NAT filtering will only let you join servers with 1 person 🆒)

And as for emulation being icky, Bask is nice. After you set it up, it's like having a mac on a PCI card, but slower! 😉 If you go full screen and hid the box, no one would know! 🙂

Cheers,
MacAran

------------------
Circular number lines: dare I say, "Wow!"

(This message has been edited by MacAran (edited 12-05-2002).)