Can't we have a sequel?

Most of you (yes all eight of you reading this) may not nkow me, but you may have seen me somewhere. I rather enjoy Aftershok. I think Robin hood & merry men did a fine job. Nothing wrong with Avara, I just am glad there finnaly came a time for something new and someone besides me noticed. If nothing else, it would be great for someone to update the engie a little... allow a bit more detail... maybe a few more players; who knows what all would be nice. I don't know ifthe Ambrosia folks ever noticed how many people love avara. Maybe they don't think another game is worth the risk. Whatever their reasons may be, no "Avara 2" is here, and if you count Aftershock you are forgetting it is merely a mod. I have more or less been happier playing Aftershock, because I felt there needed to be some refreshment to Avara's broken-in and worn-out feeling, but now I wonder if the Aftershock team has lost inspiriation or will to go on with their game. It seems like too much of a bother to give the old game a new fresh of paint and try to make it sell. Avara is out of date - yes, and I think it should be rebuilt to keep up with today's machines.

What I would like to see most is not an Avara 2 but an Avara that can run in OSX.

------------------
How to use a tooth pick: Hold stick near center of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion.
This message brought to you by the Campaign to Save the Humans. We bid you farewell

I would be willing to pay for and Avara 2 or even just a carbonized version of Avara.

Path

------------------
Web: [http://play.at/avara
"Warning:](http://play.at/avara<br />
) Cape does
not allow user to fly."

As much as I would like to be able to tell you that yes, there will be a sequel, as per my understanding there are no plans at this time, and it is extremely unlikely there will ever be.

About a carbonized version of Avara, someone is working on it, though I'm not sure whether the project will be completed.

------------------
"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in" -Confucius

I still think Avara is one of the best all-around games ever. I continue to look for the "next" Avara and it doesn't seem to be coming. The beauty of Avara is in it's simplicity and complexity... easy to learn, hard to master. Also, when you get tired of playing the same old levels, you can step up your enjoyment by creating your own levels! I spent many countless nights playing and creating levels with my geezer buddies and I wish another game could approach that sense of community Avara provided.

Anyways, wouldn't it be great if this game were open-sourced so the geeks amongst us could revive this old faithful dog (or at least try to carbonize it)?

~Head

------------------
It's not the size of your head but what you do with it.

Originally posted by Head:
**I still think Avara is one of the best all-around games ever. I continue to look for the "next" Avara and it doesn't seem to be coming. The beauty of Avara is in it's simplicity and complexity... easy to learn, hard to master. Also, when you get tired of playing the same old levels, you can step up your enjoyment by creating your own levels! I spent many countless nights playing and creating levels with my geezer buddies and I wish another game could approach that sense of community Avara provided.

Anyways, wouldn't it be great if this game were open-sourced so the geeks amongst us could revive this old faithful dog (or at least try to carbonize it)?

~Head

Open sourcing Avara osn't going to happen, people have tried, Juri even said he wanted to on the avara.org avara webboards awhile back, there was a small team that might have been able to pull off an avara 2 if open sourced, but nothing happened from that and now, even if it was open sourced I don't think anything would happen.

------------------
How to use a tooth pick: Hold stick near center of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion.
This message brought to you by the Campaign to Save the Humans. We bid you farewell

Hi Head!

Before this disintegrates into the "carbonize Avara" thread, please search the older messages concerning this topic.

Based on past performances, and authors choice, as far as I know it will not be updated.

------------------
"You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller..."
Weird Al's "It's All About The Pentiums"

Originally posted by Taz!:

Based on past performances, and authors choice, as far as I know it will not be updated.

Just let the old man have his dreams! I know it probably won't happen but wouldn't it be cool ...

<head wakes up>

Huh! Where am I? What is this Avara web board thing?

------------------
"It's not the size of your head, but what you do with it."

I don't care if its cabonized, all I want is it to work in OSX, carbon or classic,

------------------

Hey head a few notes back you said something about making your own levels... so i'm here to plug myself a few times. a while back i submitted my level set but nothing has happened about it coming onto the dl section (as far as i know) anyone want a copy of it? i have AIM or gimm your email (NeMO1226 for AIM)

oh and about avara 2 and how it is very doubtfull seing as how the bigwigs at ambrosia don't seem to think it'd turn out good..... AHH.. WHY...WHY THESE PEOPLE.. WHY THESE PROGRAMS.. AHHH THE EMOTIONAL ATTACHMENT...AHH THE PAIN... OH AGONY....

avara is a tight skill game man, i just got back from 5 weeks away and i was gettin whooped by the newbs,.. hehe... dang i agree with the old dude, the game is great, people dont like it though cuz of the graphics..
well anyway the way I look at it is ambrosia makes a ton of arcade games which are fun for a bit but not really very valuable, then once in a while they come out with something cool like escape velocity or avara...

ive wasted a ton of time playin games and i still say avaras the best one .its almost like a sport cuz it takes a lot of skill and coordination

what am i gettin at.. um.. well i play avara like every day and its cool, so yall should just go play avara and enjoy it we dont need a sequel, people so much time in the forum saying avara is dead they coulda had several awesome games on good ol bwadi or al salsa diol instead. or bust out somethin unusual like some red cap lvls or a maybe some silverfox ect

the possiblities are endless!! 😄

p.s. tonight there were more people on the avara tracker than the pop-pop tracker hehe 😉

------------------
i'm not a soccer star yet but i'll beat yew in avara

Don't register any Ambrosia SW products until they agree to at least port Avara to OS X

------------------

Originally posted by The One:
**Don't register any Ambrosia SW products until they agree to at least port Avara to OS X

Not a very good thing to do as your first post.

------------------

OK, I'm sorry, I guess I'll try it the posotive way:

Maybe if we register alot of Ambrosia products they will have the money to spend the time on Avara.

------------------

I'm sure Ambrosia could update it to OSX but you guys have to look at it in real terms... 1) Avara hasn't gotton them much money anyway, and updating a product that isn't currentaly making money certainly wouldn't make them any more. 2) I am sure Ambrosia would have the code for Avara, but the head programmer (Juri) has totally dropped... Now I'm not sure of the legalities, but I would think Juri would need to be the one to do update it. 3) Think of all the work, in connection to how many people would actually play it... 20? 30 people? If that... If Ambrosia was to do anything with a game named Avara, it would be to make a sequal, and they are showing no signs of that. At any rate, the subject of making Avara OSX native, is a pointless one.

------------------
-Kyle "Vader" Blessing
-May the force be with you
Websites: (url="http://"http://www.MeteorArts.com")Meteor Arts(/url), (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/clanns/")Clan NS(/url)

I guess you are right, I have tryied some simple programming and it takes while! I couldn't imagine what it would take to re-write Avara.

------------------

Well, either way, Avara isn't exactly state of the art graphics now. Still fun, I suppose, but the levels are not complex enough and editing is still a bit complex for my liking(Uh, like, appleworks paint, right...?? unless there's a newer one?) but it would be really really REALLY cool if Ambrosia made a new one with textures and music and - Ok, well, I suppose I'll just be dreaming. But still, it would be really cool. And I'd buy it, because it would be... well... cool. And the reason that Avara isn't played by, like, anyone, is because it was never really developed or anything past its release. Sure, a few level sets and stuff, but... meh

:Nat quiets down before this topic gets locked:

-Nat

------------------

well they don't have to rewrite that much, just the fix mouse tracking during games under OS X.

------------------

Originally posted by Taz!:
**Not a very good thing to do as your first post.

Taz, that was a fascist thing to do, slaping him for expressing a flawed opinion. You could have simply deleted the post - but you didn't. You just punished the (thought) crime insteed of fixing the promblem.

------------------
In general, what exactly makes a game good isn't that easily
quantified - perhaps the absense of things that make it bad? - Words of Wisdom from Glenn Andreas

Where do you want to (url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/tricks/rJade.htm")teleport(/url) today?

Originally posted by Bryce:
**Taz, that was a fascist thing to do, slaping him for expressing a flawed opinion. You could have simply deleted the post - but you didn't. You just punished the (thought) crime insteed of fixing the promblem.

Thanks for your opinion. You run your board your way, I'll run mine my way.

I posted it to show others that saying you should not register products would not, in any way imaginable, "force" ambrosia to do anything with Avara. Deleting the post would not have sent that message.

------------------