Just wondering...

I noticed that Ambrosia is porting Bubble Trouble to OSX... Is Avara just the illegitemate child of Ambrosia or what?

Why can't they port a multiplayer game like Avara over to OSX?

Ok thats my two cents...

- Zeus

------------------

Originally posted by SpiffyZeus:
**I noticed that Ambrosia is porting Bubble Trouble to OSX... Is Avara just the illegitemate child of Ambrosia or what?

Ok thats my two cents...

- Zeus

My two cents is that if you had bothered to look back at all of the topics on this board, you would have found the answer to your rather arrogant statement about illegitemacy. But, I suspect you won't bother even now. Please prove me wrong.

Avara's graphic engine would have to be rewritten, along with major parts of its networking code. It is not even close to a "port". Considering the return on Avara, I'd rather them create a better, faster, more amusing new game than spend time on this one.

------------------
"You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller..."
Weird Al's "It's All About The Pentiums"

I didnt bother to read... question answered ;D

As for a new game... It's not that I'm obsessed with the name Avara or anything, it's just I prefer the vintage feel of that game as opposed to games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein...

- Zeus
P.S.
I still dont like Ambrosia
P.P.S
You should come back to Avara... Harlequin is back and it would be awesome if more gzr's would join him...

------------------

**I didnt bother to read... question answered ;D

As for a new game... It's not that I'm obsessed with the name Avara or anything, it's just I prefer the vintage feel of that game as opposed to games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein...

- Zeus
P.S.
I still dont like Ambrosia
P.P.S
You should come back to Avara... Harlequin is back and it would be awesome if more gzr's would join him...

taz is stubborn and considers it too much effort to switch to classic ro whaterver u have to do to play avara... but Taz, I think ambrosia just makes silly arcade games nowadays instead of cool games like avara... ;(

------------------
›-›k‡ŁŁmE›-›: hmm i will do some more thinking latre tonightmaybe,
›-›k‡ŁŁmE›-›: if my brain is up to it

I never really liked it in the first place.

------------------
Captaintripps: An Ape Man with Metal Parts
(url="http://"http://voxhumanasketch.tripod.com/voxhumana/")VoxHumana(/url) -- Comedy of the Future

go away 😉

------------------
›-›k‡ŁŁmE›-›: hmm i will do some more thinking latre tonightmaybe,
›-›k‡ŁŁmE›-›: if my brain is up to it

Originally posted by kĄllme:
**taz is stubborn and considers it too much effort to switch to classic ro whaterver u have to do to play avara... but Taz, I think ambrosia just makes silly arcade games nowadays instead of cool games like avara... ;(

I'll thank you to not speak for me under any circumstances.

Congratulations on thinking. Try to do it some more.

------------------

**I noticed that Ambrosia is porting Bubble Trouble to OSX... Is Avara just the illegitemate child of Ambrosia or what?

Ok thats my two cents...

- Zeus

Bubble Trouble was written by Alex Metcalf and David Wareing. David just watched andrew port Deimos Rising over to OS X in less than a week, and I suspect Bubble Trouble was probably coded in a similiar manner.

Besides the fact that Bubble Trouble was infinitely more popular (number of paid registrations) than Avara.

------------------

Of course Avara didnt get a lot of registrations... there was NO reason to register it... It was probably the most popular of Ambrosia's games with exception to EV trilogy... Why dont they learn how to program and make a decent multiplayer game... today's computer gamer wants to play interesting games against interesting people.
- Zeus

------------------

I agree with Zeus... Bubble trouble is single player, so its like the kids at the arcade... you gotta pump in another nickel if you wanna keep playin.... but there's no restriction on Avara... a bad marketting strategy, cuz for various reasons.... a lot of people dont register.. they might be punks, or little kids who dont have credit cards to pay the fee 😄 . Or like Zeus, who hates Ambrosia.. ....

Now if you ask me they should give a handicap to unregistered players.. like only access to one hector or something... but anyways.... You know what,.... Avara is diffferent from other Ambrosia games... probably cuz it was made by some dude from Finland ... whatever, it just doesnt resemble the arcade-style ambrosia games.. maelstrom, barrack, buble trubble, slithereens... they all have a certain similiarity. .....

anyways i should shut up but I think with Ambrosia's recent sucess with the release of EV Nova they could get a lot of money out of any game released at this time and they could probably do somethin like make people pay 10 bucks to get a OS X compatible avara, and then all the dudes like Taz can play once again 😉

Posted Image

(This message has been edited by kĄllme (edited 04-21-2002).)

**Of course Avara didnt get a lot of registrations... there was NO reason to register it.
(snip)

There was a reason - honor. Paying for something you keep longer than you're supposed to. Everyone who didn't is a thief.

------------------

Originally posted by Taz!:
**There was a reason - honor. Paying for something you keep longer than you're supposed to. Everyone who didn't is a thief.

Taz most people don't have honor thats why they have systems on the other games (capn hector in EV, limited levels in bubble trouble.. ect....)

Perhaps they should create an avara remake in carbon. They could make better marketing decisions, have carbonized code, better graphics, more levels, etc... The only problem would be convincing them to do it... ah well.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, use more duct tape.

From taz's post it sounded like I was being accused of being a thief... I wasnt
I paid my 20 dollars and registered the game... I even booted Expired and Hacked copies for awhile... But an honor code isnt what sells games. Ambrosia is a business and should have been smarter to make a REAL reason to register.

Anyway, I can kind of see where they were coming from considering the game was just made by a guy trying to do a thesis on Networkable games. Whatever... they can't port Avara to OSX... they should start making networkable games that don't suck like Ares and ummm... what else did they make thats multiplayer?

By the way, most of the games that they have made are rip-offs of other games... wheres the originality? bah

- Zeus

------------------

**From taz's post it sounded like I was being accused of being a thief... I wasnt
(snip)

Nope- read it again. I didn't accuse you of stealing.

------------------

stop bickering the point is - people dont live by those ideals Taz
it's shareware... they didn't market it well.

Some of us out here, a lot of us actually, don't care a whit whether a game is networkable or not.

------------------
Captaintripps: An Ape Man with Metal Parts
(url="http://"http://voxhumanasketch.tripod.com/voxhumana/")VoxHumana(/url) -- Comedy of the Future

Originally posted by kĄllme:
stop bickering the point is - people dont live by those ideals Taz
it's shareware... they didn't market it well.

Maybe people YOU know don't live by those ideals, but MOST of the people I know (and others I've met over the internet) DO live by them.

You can call it bickering if you want - I'll call it discussing a point.

:🔒:

------------------