Avara, Destiny of and news about...?

Does ASW plan to release a sequel to Avara or something? This is the kind of game that I would like to see developed... I usually don't like games like this at all, but I liked Avara and had quite a bit of fun with it. I think that, with added support features, improved graphics, and whatever else makes an older game better, Avara could have a lot more potential.
Does Avara have a...clear fate, or has its fate been sealed, destined to sit on someone's hard drive for a long time without any fate at all?

------------------

ASW has no plans to update, nor release a sequel to Avara.

------------------
"You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller..."
Weird Al's "It's All About The Pentiums"

Originally posted by Taz!:
**ASW has no plans to update, nor release a sequel to Avara.

dang yep they are being loserly

------------------
-killme

Quite the shame really, they should do something so that people may regain interest in it. It's a cool game, however, there are only like 10 or 20 people that still play on the net anymore... I'd say releasing an update wouldn't do much for it, but a sequel would surely pique the interest of players of the original and perhaps those that didn't pay attention or never played the original. Updated graphics would certainly help, since the game looks like it was made in 1987. Perhaps something that looks like the new Avara logo?

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, deny you ever tried.

Originally posted by Shenlon:
**Quite the shame really, they should do something so that people may regain interest in it. It's a cool game, however, there are only like 10 or 20 people that still play on the net anymore... I'd say releasing an update wouldn't do much for it, but a sequel would surely pique the interest of players of the original and perhaps those that didn't pay attention or never played the original. Updated graphics would certainly help, since the game looks like it was made in 1987. Perhaps something that looks like the new Avara logo?

Well if u ask the real men who play ....hehhe.... yep we'll say "*%$# that" man.
Ya see when you get good at Avara its like dang, we dont want no clumsy high tech lookin camo hectors or nothin, this thing is a dexterious animal.
a fightin machine
now if it looked like that avara logo it would be real clumsy and crap like and man thats not the kind of thing u invest on when ur goin into battle
u know what
I liked that thing on Vaders website meteorart.com I think
That thing was a sexy bitch!!!!

sup sup well ok if u been playin some gzr levels in a pink hector u might get discouraged, but try playing some Not-AA or silverfox, make your game window as big as possible (while still bein able to see toolbar thinger) and its quite enjoyable and graphics look pretty nice.
nice n simple

------------------
-killme

That sucks. I would pay like $50 for an enhanced Avara. :dreams:

Features of it would be...

1. Texture shading for objects would make things nice.
2. Complicated Objects so you can have.. more detail.
3. Transparent and reflective objects.
4. 3D sound...
5. 3D sound linked with objects...
6. Extra textures such as exhaust from missiles, et cetera
7. Intro music
8. movies for some parts of the game
9. Advanced lighting
10. Huge levels

This would be very, very cool... But if it's not going to exist ever, is it possible that a non-Ambrosia programmer could make this, or work in partnership with ASW or something? Avara provided me with hours and hours of fun, so it's really just kind of sad to see it just disappear...

-Lequis

------------------

Originally posted by Lequis MX:
**That sucks. I would pay like $50 for an enhanced Avara. :dreams:

Unfortunately, most users preferred to pay for a zero dollar Avara 1. Hence, a rather low incentive to enhance the current one. However, as has been said before, you're quite welcome to code your own update and get Ambrosia to publish it. 🙂

Is the thing about 10-20 users for real? I never knew it was so low...

martin

------------------
martin is a pensioner from edinburgh. He made up the bit about the olives.

I will not let this topic degenerate into "what I want in Avara 2" dream-talk.

If you want to discuss those kind of things - I suggest you go to (url="http://"http://www.avara.org")www.avara.org(/url). There all they do is whine about the state of Avara, and talk about a sequel to Avara. Mind you - none of the people talking know anything about programming, nor have any experience putting together a networkable game - nor how much time, money, and sweat it takes, nor how little return they will get on their product (if past experiences with the crowd is any indication.)

I'll say it again - if you have questions about Avara - ask away.

If all you're doing here is anything like the above mentioned - give your fingers the rest and move on.

------------------
"You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller..."
Weird Al's "It's All About The Pentiums"

Originally posted by martin:
Is the thing about 10-20 users for real? I never knew it was so low...

Well, there are 45 people registered on the Avara ladder, and there are more people who never bothered to register/don't want to. Not that all of these people play that often, but they do play occassionally at least.

------------------
Pinky, Are you pondering what I am pondering?
I think so, Brain, but if they called them sad meals, kids wouldn't buy them.