24 hour server

Hon's twenty four hour server was awesome because most of us are behind firewalls and we can't host our own server but we CAN join other ppl's servers, so if there were no other servers up we could always meet in hon's place.

I dunno why you lock things up so much cuz how we gonna discuss stuff that way... ok so we can have nice conversations and say ok a little more sugar in my tea cup but that really doesn't accomplish much.

-killme

Originally posted by Beef Crudpile:
**Hon's twenty four hour server was awesome because most of us are behind firewalls and we can't host our own server but we CAN join other ppl's servers, so if there were no other servers up we could always meet in hon's place.

Now - if that's true, then it is a perfectly reasonable reason to have a 24/7 hour server up. However, as I stated in another topic here, can't people with firewalls installed pass the packets through the port Avara uses?

Originally posted by Taz!:

**Firewall blocking? Avara uses port 19567 (UDP) as far as I know. Can't you allow packets through that port and play?

There is a chart of what games use what ports somewhere... hmm... ahh here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/app_port_list.htm#Games

HTH!

I dunno why you lock things up so much cuz how we gonna discuss stuff that way... ok so we can have nice conversations and say ok a little more sugar in my tea cup but that really doesn't accomplish much.

-killme**

Generally I lock things up when the conversation has turned from the topic heading.
Everyone is free, as you have here, to start a new topic and bring it back on focus.

It's boring to have to trud through 20 messages that have no bearing on the subject looking for the last post because it may be on topic.

That's all. Yes, I've locked some rather quickly in the past. I'm trying to let things conclude, but that's a judgement call. Sometimes I'll get it right, sometimes I'll get it wrong. It's never a reason not to bring the topic back up, unless a moderator has stated that the answer is posted, and there is no reason to further the conversation.

------------------
This signature is funny. Please read it again.

(This message has been edited by Taz! (edited 12-03-2001).)

That's all. Yes, I've locked some rather quickly in the past. I'm trying to let things conclude, but that's a judgement call. Sometimes I'll get it right, sometimes I'll get it wrong. It's never a reason not to bring the topic back up, unless a moderator has stated that the answer is posted, and there is no reason to further the conversation.

Okay so hon's server was a haven for jackasses but I guess its better than having them here spamming.... Are you sayin that if I host a game on 19567 port, it will show up on the tracker and people can join?

Okay so hon's server was a haven for jackasses but I guess its better than having them here spamming.... Are you sayin that if I host a game on 19567 port, it will show up on the tracker and people can join?**

Yes, if your firewall/router/NAT box (or whatever is between you and the 'net) is configured properly. Is it under your control or is it an instutional setup of some sort?

------------------
-Kniq

Originally posted by Kniq:
**Yes, if your firewall/router/NAT box (or whatever is between you and the 'net) is configured properly. Is it under your control or is it an instutional setup of some sort?

I too, would love to know how to get this working. I have a second Mac as my NAT box. I got it set up mostly though trial and error - I don't know much about what's going on. If you could help me out here, it would be great.

-Janski

Originally posted by Janski:
**I too, would love to know how to get this working. I have a second Mac as my NAT box. I got it set up mostly though trial and error - I don't know much about what's going on. If you could help me out here, it would be great.

-Janski**

What are you using to do the NAT? IPNR? OS X? Some other *nix?

------------------
-Kniq

Originally posted by Kniq:
**What are you using to do the NAT? IPNR? OS X? Some other *nix?

IPNetRouter.

-Janski

Originally posted by Janski:
**IPNetRouter.

-Janski**

First the mac you are playing on must have a static IP. You can either assign it a permanent IP or set it up so that it always gets the same DCHP address. Put the following information into a new entry in the Portmapping entry:

Protocol: TCP & UDP
Apparent Endpoint Address: leave as already filled in
Port: 19567
Actual Endpoint Address: IP of your mac.
Port: 19567
Static: checked

that should do it

Or you may want to look at
(url="http://"http://www.sustworks.com/site/ipr_guide/port_mapping.html")http://www.sustworks...rt_mapping.html(/url)

------------------
-Kniq