Why can't I download any levels?

I tried downloading off the avara.com archives, but I got a text message saying "Permission denied." The ftp.avara.com site doesn't seem to work - and the avara.org archives don't work either.

------------------
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
-Gen. Jack Ripper, Dr. Strangelove

Uh, that's where I tried.

------------------
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
-Gen. Jack Ripper, Dr. Strangelove

ColdFusion wrote:
**I tried downloading off the avara.com archives, but I got a text message saying "Permission denied." The ftp.avara.com site doesn't seem to work - and the avara.org archives don't work either.

Try here:
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/games/avara/addons.html")http://www.AmbrosiaS...ara/addons.html(/url)

Note that the admins have not yet described or categorized all of the files yet, unfortunately.

------------------
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Yuck! what about a plain ol' visual FTP like the olden times? It's taking forever to look through all of these levels and alphabetizing(sp?) them would help, also.

The pages take too long to access, and the number listed isn't enough 🙂

------------------
Sometimes it strikes me that the writers of free verse got their idea from incorrect proof pages. -Robert Frost

Mad Hatter wrote:
**It's taking forever to look through all of these levels and alphabetizing(sp?) them would help, also. The pages take too long to access, and the number listed isn't enough:)

Hi there. I'm the one writing this new file-viewer system, and the random breakages you're experiencing while trying to use it are my fault. (The undownloadable files were a permissions problem, for instance.)

I realize the inconvenience I've caused the players; you deserve an apology from me. I'll be more careful in the future.

For what it's worth, I'm working on creating alphabetized lists so that you can more easily find the files you're looking for. What did you mean by "the number isn't listed enough"?

I'll start reading this bulletin board more frequently.

I have no clue what I meant by that... Goes to show why you shouldn't type anything after midnight...

I bet I was referring to the countless versions, or something. I have no clue.
And keep up the work. Looks promising, now that I've had time to actually look at it (instead of seeing it as new and therefore wrong).

D/L time takes to long for the pages, not the levels..

------------------
Sometimes it strikes me that the writers of free verse got their idea from incorrect proof pages. -Robert Frost

Mad Hatter wrote:
D/L time takes to long for the pages, not the levels..
(/B)

Shouldn't; they're only 50k tops and 20k average. You're probably seeing a rendering hit. What's your CPU?

I'm going to look into ways of optimizing the html output, but I can't think of many off the top of my head that don't involve CSS.

------------------