Antares 0.5.1 Released

(also: Footsteps of Pyrrhus 1.1.0)

Antares 0.5.1 has been released. This release fixes several issues:

• Issue 4 (Add support for plugins)

• Issue 19 (Allow selection of screen size)

• Issue 92 (Cache digest of extracted scenario)

• Issue 100 (Text not drawn in bottom row of pixels on screen.)

Obviously, the main point of interest is the new support for plugins. In order to demonstrate this feature, we’ve converted Footsteps of Pyrrhus to work in Antares. Work is underway to ensure full interoperability between Antares and Athena.

(What happened to 0.5.0? It had a crashing bug for users that tried to load a plugin without first playing the factory scenario. The release was scrapped in favor of 0.5.1)

This post has been edited by Pallas Athene : 02 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

Footnote: whew! Happy anniversary, everyone. I promised plugin support for this one, and I nearly missed it due to the 0.5.0 bug. Fortunately, this story has a happy ending.

I'm happy to take suggestions for other plugins to port. I've done Iron Fist, but it's pretty unpolished and I'd want to fix some of the spelling errors at a minimum before releasing it with my blessing.

(Footnote to footnote: if this post doesn't seem that near to the deadline, or seems past it, keep in mind that Ares standard time is, of course, EST/EDT, and it's almost midnight here)

Where do I put plugins so that Antares will find them?

Open the plugin with Antares; it will install it. You don't need to keep the plugin around afterwards.

That is really well done (assuming it works, but I have confidence in you.) and sounds really easy to install. When I read the instructions on how to install I was blown away.

-K

Cool! Good job Pallas!

Wasn't there an EV Ares plug?

There was, if I recall. I don't know where. Is it this?

Prepare to face off with your friends as never before, with the classic ships from the hit game EV. Six net levels, fully remade and to scale ships, faithfully ported stats, three governments, and of course through the Ares engine net play. - Lethe Cydonia - A Bold Move - Chaos Hour - Fusion - Font Lines - Fighter Duel - KMQ - http://welcome.to/ISDesign/

-K

This post has been edited by Kasofa1 : 03 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

That seems to be multiplayer-only, which won't yet work with Antares. There is a plugin Ares: Overide, based on EV: Override, rather than EV: Classic. I'm taking a look now.

Hmm. So, firstly, I can't find a copy of the plugin, so I really can't do much anyway. I've PMed MadFax7 in case he still has a copy.

It's also not totally clear whether the plugin includes a single-player campaign—the page keeps referring to it as a multiplayer plugin, but mentions "…if you're planning on playing online…", which implies an alternative.

Plug-in support! Hey, this is looking good.
Nice work Pallas.

I might have "Ares: Overide" somewhere. I kept all of my Ares stuff. I'll have a search through my stand-off HDDs.
I'll upload it if I find a copy.

Ho hum. Looks like I don't have Overide.
I did find a plug that I did though, Audemedon Crisis. I must play it on an OS9 machine and see if it is er, 'cough' any good. Maybe it might be worth converting.

EDIT:
Looks like I'm stuck on "Space race the musical" when I launch Antares 051. I've obviously done something to deserve this (other than playing the level).
How do I unstick myself?

This post has been edited by Lord Commander Anic : 08 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

@lord-commander-anic, on 08 November 2011 - 07:17 PM, said in Antares 0.5.1 Released:

Looks like I'm stuck on "Space race the musical" when I launch Antares 051. I've obviously done something to deserve this (other than playing the level).
How do I unstick myself?

What do you have at these two paths?

~/Library/Application Support/Antares/com.biggerplanet.ares.json
~/Library/Application Support/Antares/Registry/com.biggerplanet.ares/ledger.json

I used to use the first, but now use the second. It should have moved over to the new path automatically. If you delete both files, then I guarantee everything will work*, though you'll be back to the first tutorial. If you post them here, then I can maybe tell what went wrong and how to fix them.

• Not actually a guarantee

Thanks for the tip. Unstuck.
I had made a back up copy of
com.biggerplanet.ares.json
at
~/Library/Application Support/Antares/com.biggerplanet.ares.json

So I used the back up copy and all works normally now.
(So i've been down this route before…)

However I don't have the "Registry" folder at all. Is this significant?
Also, Space Race is now absent from the levels list (I can't remember where I came across the tip on how to switch the level on in Antares).
Amnesia, probably age-related.

Btw, will Antares work with Lion?

@lord-commander-anic, on 09 November 2011 - 01:38 PM, said in Antares 0.5.1 Released:

However I don't have the "Registry" folder at all. Is this significant?

Nope. I think it will create it the first time you beat a level. If you play FoP, you should get a Registry/org.arescentral.pyrrhus folder.

Also, Space Race is now absent from the levels list (I can't remember where I came across the tip on how to switch the level on in Antares).
Amnesia, probably age-related.

If you edit 23 into the ledger file, you should be able to play it. Be careful with your commas.

Probably. I'm not running Lion yet.

@lord-commander-anic, on 09 November 2011 - 01:38 PM, said in Antares 0.5.1 Released:

Works for me.

@pallas-athene, on 09 November 2011 - 02:42 PM, said in Antares 0.5.1 Released:

Nope. I think it will create it the first time you beat a level. If you play FoP, you should get a Registry/org.arescentral.pyrrhus folder.

Ah, I'm on level 20, but hit an asteroid when I wasn't paying attention to my steering, so i have to go back in.

If you edit 23 into the ledger file, you should be able to play it. Be careful with your commas.

Thanks. I'll try that. I always do back-ups, so no fear of commas here.

@gamefreak4321, on 09 November 2011 - 04:17 PM, said in Antares 0.5.1 Released:

Works for me.

Good to know. I'll be staying well away from Lion as a primary OS for as long as I can manage it, though we did put it on a machine —it promptly crashed!

Pallas reminded me that my links on the official site are no longer working. I had meant to fix them but never got around to it; maybe someday. Irregardless, I have uploaded the multiplayer bin to my other webserver. I also stumbled upon a singe player plugin which I honestly do not remember the details of (it may simply be my testing scenario, or it may be the single player campaign I was working on. Have fun!)

I placed everything in an aresoverride directory on my other webserver for the time being.

Bump!

@pallas-athene, on 02 November 2011 - 10:57 PM, said in Antares 0.5.1 Released:

I'm happy to take suggestions for other plugins to port.

If you're still up for doing ports, I know a few I'd like to see.

(Continuation Thingy) and its sequel (The Sequel)
(Cold Days And Long Night)
(Stars Are Fire)
(The Rouge)
(The Audemedon Crisis) as well as it's sequels (Its War) and (Its War Part 2)
(Vengeance)
(Earth's Journey)
(Humans Revenge Part 1)

Any of those would be sweet!

Also, what do you use for porting? I might try porting one Myself with whatever tool it is you use.

This post has been edited by Grenth : 03 March 2012 - 02:54 AM

@grenth, on 03 March 2012 - 02:53 AM, said in Antares 0.5.1 Released:

(Continuation Thingy) and its sequel (The Sequel)
(Cold Days And Long Night)
(Stars Are Fire)
(The Rouge)
(The Audemedon Crisis) as well as it's sequels (Its War) and (Its War Part 2)
(Vengeance)
(Earth's Journey)
(Humans Revenge Part 1)

OK, I'll take a look. I haven't done any programming on Antares since I upgraded to Lion. This kind of thing I should be able to work on more easily, though.

Any of those would be sweet!

Also, what do you use for porting? I might try porting one Myself with whatever tool it is you use.

I use an intimate knowledge of the internals of the Ares and Antares plugin formats 🙂

I think Athena is supposed to be up to this task, though, so you could try opening an Ares plugin with it and saving it back out as an Antares plugin.

Well, I've got a functional version of "It's War", but Antares is crashing on "In Deep and Sinking Fast". I suspect it's never had to handle so many objects before.