[Xsera] New Website

We can has xsera.org!

Xsera now has its own domain, xsera.org! This has been the case for a little while, but I've been working on the site to improve its functionality and appearance. I want your input about the website - what do you want to see from it, what improvements should be made, etc. So here's a short list of questions that I would like you to answer after you've visited the site and looked around for a little while:

1. What function do you want for the website - what do you want it to contain, detail, etc (both specific and general)?

2. Can you contribute to the improvement and maintenance of the website?

3. What is your opinion of the current website? How would you rate it, from 1-10, 10 being "awesome"?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

adam_0

1. Overall, I think it is good. I can't think of anything missing besides the doxygen documentation.
2. Depending on what needs done, I might be able to help. I usually have some free time.
3. Content: 9 (not much on the old Ares, but certainly enough for Xsera)
Appearance: 7 (good for older hardware, easy on the eyes, but rather plain)
Ease of use: 8.5 (points taken off for organization; the links page should be merged with the main page IMO)
Overall: 8.5, very good.

Thanks for the feedback. Below are some comments...

QUOTE (gavin83209 @ Oct 31 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Overall, I think it is good. I can't think of anything missing besides the doxygen documentation.

What do you mean by "missing"? There's currently nothing on the Doxygen main page, but if you tab through the other pages you will see that it is minimally documented, in some cases better than minimally.

2. Depending on what needs done, I might be able to help. I usually have some free time.

In what ways might you be able to contribute? Design / formatting? Content?

3. Content: 9 (not much on the old Ares, but certainly enough for Xsera)

What would you suggest as far as "old Ares" content?

Appearance: 7 (good for older hardware, easy on the eyes, but rather plain)

Yes, it is very plain because my HTML skills are minimal. Right now, the website is basically just an information hub, but I think it could easily be something more with a bit of time and dedication, something I don't want to take away from working on the Xsera code itself, if you know what I mean.

Ease of use: 8.5 (points taken off for organization; the links page should be merged with the main page IMO)

The main page will eventually be mostly a directories page (with a brief blurb about what Xsera is), but for now, it's just a hub for what's going on in the website as a whole, until we can get more information up on it. The links page should be distinct, in my opinion, because those links are to places outside of xsera.org, and therefore have nothing to do with the website itself.

QUOTE (adam_0 @ Oct 31 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean by "missing"? There's currently nothing on the Doxygen main page, but if you tab through the other pages you will see that it is minimally documented, in some cases better than minimally.

I didn't see the other doxygen pages. By missing, I mean content that should be there but isn't (I know, rather vague). The first tab of the Ambrosia page only says what the 1.2.0 update contains, and the FAQ is exclusively Xsera-centered. Maybe something like "Ares is a 2D space combat game produced by Nathan Lamont and Ambrosia Software for Mac OS 9 in 1997 that was never ported to Mac OS X, Windows or Linux. The purpose of the Xsera project is to port Ares to these missing systems, with priority on the Mac OS X port. (Xsera will not be available for OS 9 coughprophilecough)

In what ways might you be able to contribute? Design / formatting? Content?

Content is best. I am not a very good HTML coder.

What would you suggest as far as "old Ares" content?

Mostly just a summary about what it is. See my suggestion above.

Yes, it is very plain because my HTML skills are minimal. Right now, the website is basically just an information hub, but I think it could easily be something more with a bit of time and dedication, something I don't want to take away from working on the Xsera code itself, if you know what I mean.

I fully understand. To be honest, I like websites plain to reduce the amount of stress on this old 1 GHz G4. Please avoid Flash if possible.

The links page should be distinct, in my opinion, because those links are to places outside of xsera.org, and therefore have nothing to do with the website itself.

OK, I understand that. I didn't realize that before just now, though. It could be more obvious, but it definitely makes sense.

QUOTE (gavin83209 @ Oct 31 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't see the other doxygen pages. By missing, I mean content that should be there but isn't (I know, rather vague). The first tab of the Ambrosia page only says what the 1.2.0 update contains, and the FAQ is exclusively Xsera-centered. Maybe something like "Ares is a 2D space combat game produced by Nathan Lamont and Ambrosia Software for Mac OS 9 in 1997 that was never ported to Mac OS X, Windows or Linux. The purpose of the Xsera project is to port Ares to these missing systems, with priority on the Mac OS X port. (Xsera will not be available for OS 9 coughprophilecough)

Sounds good, write me up something and it will go on the site 😉 (PM it to me please)

Content is best. I am not a very good HTML coder.

General note to everybody: if you want to create content for something that you feel is missing from Xsera.org, feel free to write about it and submit it to me. If I like it, I'll stick it on the site.

I fully understand. To be honest, I like websites plain to reduce the amount of stress on this old 1 GHz G4. Please avoid Flash if possible.

I don't like Flash myself, and I have a computer that's not yet 2 years old. I'm thinking more stuff along CSS stuff like backgrounds, color schemes, etc.

OK, I understand that. I didn't realize that before just now, though. It could be more obvious, but it definitely makes sense.

Yeah, I'll re-title it "External Links" or something to make it more obvious.