Wing Commander 3 Ares?

Was there ever/could there ever be a Wing Commander (preferably 3) add-on download for Ares?

I'm sure one could be made.

Pallas Athene, on Jun 20 2005, 10:10 AM, said:

I'm sure one could be made.
View Post

I might be willing to pay some $ for that... well, I might guess that's probably illegal since it's shareware and I think EA games owns the rights to WC.. but I'd be willing to help, and I think there's more people on the wcnews.com website who would like to see a mod for Wing Commander III.

This post has been edited by Maj. Whoopass : 27 June 2005 - 07:22 PM

I dont think modding is illegal, if you mean that. Paying money for mods (or rather charging money for them) is illegal, however.

I don't own wingcommander or anything, but never the less I'd be willing to help with pretty much any effort to revive Ares.

bmac, on Jun 28 2005, 03:51 PM, said:

I don't own wingcommander or anything, but never the less I'd be willing to help with pretty much any effort to revive Ares.
View Post

I can get you pictures, help with a plotline/missions etc. if you have any experience or abilities at making mods on Ares. I already have an idea of what ship stats could be converted into what ships. Certain existing ships would need very little altering from some of the existing mods to become wing commander ready.

For instance, "The Sequel" which is about the rimshot rebellion features a fighter which would need very little alteration to look and perform like the "razor" starfighter from wing commander. The upgrades to the Gaitori fighter in "The Sequel" mod would just need the color of the lasers changed and some slight tweaks in the appearance to look like the "arrow" fighter from wing commander.

Most of the other ship stats could stay the same, but would simply need to look different. There's a VERY active forum revolving around the Wing Commander games at www.wcnews.com that may have a few mac owners who would be interested in getting Ares and downloading the mod. Especially if we posted screenshots and dedicated threads to it. Probably hundreds of people would view it, and it might give Ares a boost.