Official Release "The Jimmy Page Theory of Ares and advanced guide to ares multiplay"

-------------------------- this top part was the original "Rock-Paper-Scissors" theory by vegeta and the proper credit has been given to him..the bottom part is my revised theory entitled.."The Jimmy Page Theory of Ares and advanced guide to ares multiplay" You will find everything and anything you need to know about the concept of ares explained in my new theory..have fun, and learn from this because this took forever to write!
---------------------------

Topic: Official Release: The "Rock-Paper-Scissors" Theory of Ares

Vegeta

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been doing much study into the nature of Ares ships, and I've found something quite stunning, which I perfer to call the "Rock-Paper-Scissors" Theory.
Here's the deal. Each and every ship class is organized into these three catagories- Squadron, Destroyer, and Capitol. Here's how these "catagories" relate.
Squadron- This catagory contains the Fighter and Cruiser classes. These ships are relatively weak alone, but their low cost and fast construction makes up for it. This catagory is very strong against the members of the Destroyer catagory, and weak against Capitol ships.
Destroyer- These ships are those of the Heavy Destroyer and Gunship class. The Destroyer ships are strong against Capitols, but are often troubled by the chaos sturred around by the Squadron ships. The Gunship class earns this catagory by its relatively slow speed and manueverability, yet it has both the weapons and armor to confront a Carrier. The HVD class earns this because of its intense weaponry, yet its weak armor makes it quite vulnerable to smaller ships that can still outmanuever and surround it.
Capitol- Capitol ships are Carriers and Battleships (single player). These ship classes work effectively on clearing out large numbers of Squadron vessels, yet are quite susceptable to the overwhelming, direct firepower of the Destroyer class. The Carrier usually mounts a turreted weapon with decent damage, which works quite effeciently to destroy smaller, more manueverable ships. The Carrier usually has a concussive, long range weapon which can scatter Squadron vessels or impact them for good damage. Lastly, the Carrier has 10 fighters in which to help "fight fire with fire". The Bazidanese Battleship has effective homing pulses which not only are difficult to dodge, but also are capable of finishing off a Squadron vessel in a snap. The Obish Battleship mimics a Carrier without fighters and a lot more manueverability and speed.

The trick is, putting this theory into practice. Try to analyze what your opponent is building, and build an appropriate counter-vessel. For instance- If you see your opponent is only building Gunships, try building a lot of Cruisers. If your opponent insists on Carriers, try throwing Gunships at him. Of course, a lot of strategies don't consist of such naive and vulnerable ship combos. So, analyze your opponent carefully, and build all the counters called for.
You may ask, "Have you tested this theory?" Yes I have. For example, I was playing Auds versus Auds with someone. He only built cruisers, which I countered with a Carrier and my own Cruisers. I devastated him, and my Carrier was still healthy after the battle. I also used Gunships against a Carrier fancier in an Ish/Ish battle, which lead to my victory.
Happy Hunting.
------------------
-Vegeta <axis.n3.net>

This is no longer correct. so it's time to revisit that old school rock paper scissors theory that was stuck on the old axis.n3.net forever.
---------------------
the above theory was originally written by vegeta. Ah vegeta, remember him, yes...anyways he put out his theory on ares. He was playing ares long enough to know what he's talking about, however he let piloting overpower strategy in his discripion of his theory of ares. Thus making this "ares theory" irrelevant. For all of you who still go by this theory, I hope you will change your ways after visiting my modified version of this theory.

_here's "the Jimmy Page theory"...lol...:) _

it may sound corny, but it works, and since i am probably going to be stopping playing ares and gameranger and stuff with college coming on, i figured i'd pass on some hints and strategies, look for more of these coming up in the next week or so.

Ok here it goes...

Vegeta was right on this, each and every ship class IS organized into these three catagories- Squadron, Destroyer, and Capitol. Now this is the part that has been changed.. Here's how these "catagories" relate.
Squadron- This catagory contains the Fighter and Cruiser classes. These ships are relatively weak alone, but their low cost and fast construction makes up for it. This catagory is very strong against the members of the CAPITOL/DESTROYER catagory, and weak only when deployed in small numbers or when the fleet is matched by an equal squadron fleet backed up by a capitol or destroyer ship class.

Destroyer CLASS 1- The HVD class earns this because of its intense weaponry, yet its weak armor makes it quite vulnerable to smaller ships that can still outmanuever and surround it. The key reason that the HVD is in it's own class is simply because of it's intense fire power. IN EVERY GAME THE PERSON WHO LOSES THEIR HVD FIRST WILL MOST LIKELY LOSE FIRST, UNLESS YOU'RE PLAYING WITH SALS AND AUDS. However losing your hvd first greatly effects the outcome even with sals or auds. TECHNICALLY THERE SHOULD BE NO WAY TO LOSE AN HVD IN A GAME UNLESS IT IS SHOT DOWN BY ANOTHER HVD. This is very important to remember. However once again with auds and sals, this doesn't hold totally true neccessarily. Hvd's hold a class by themselve not only because of an intense fire power, but because they have such a wide range with their weapons. They can almost shoot down all other classes of ships without even being touched if used properly. this once again has the exception of auds and sals. However if you do lose your HVD, don't fret, you still can downgrade to the Class 2 destroyers.

CLASS 2 DESTROYER--is the gunships. The Gunship class earns this catagory by its relatively slow speed and manueverability, yet it has both the weapons and armor to confront a Carrier. The Class 2 destroyers are strong against Capitols, but are often troubled by the chaos sturred around by the Squadron ships. Large numbers of these ships can be used effectively in certain races, yet uneffectively in other races. Look for more on strategies later in this theory.

CAPITOL- (The most overlooked type of ship in my opinion) Capitol ships are Carriers and Battleships (single player). These ship classes work effectively on clearing out large numbers of Squadron vessels, yet are quite susceptable to the overwhelming, direct firepower of the Destroyer class. The Carrier usually mounts a turreted weapon with decent damage, which works quite effeciently to destroy smaller, more manueverable ships. The Carrier usually has a concussive, long range weapon which can scatter Squadron vessels or impact them for good damage. Lastly, the Carrier has 10 fighters in which to help "fight fire with fire". The Bazidanese Battleship has effective homing pulses which not only are difficult to dodge, but also are capable of finishing off a Squadron vessel in a snap. The Obish Battleship mimics a Carrier without fighters and a lot more manueverability and speed. Carriers are basically like buying a mini fleet all in one, making them more deadly then you may think. They basically do the job of 3 ships. They overwhelm the gunships with squadron ships. They shoot down enemy squadron ships. They also provide long range support as well. And when used in numbers capitol ships team up to make a deadly combo. Capitol ships however if isolated are relatively defensless from a destroyer class ship at a long range. That is why they must be protected at all costs.

Now here is the meat of this whole theory...putting it to use...

This is the "Jimmy Page Theory" put to use

As like the other theory says: Try to analyze what your opponent is building, and build an appropriate counter-vessel. So, analyze your opponent carefully, and build all the counters called for. In my years of playing this game i have realised one very important thing.. There is only 1 main strategy for each race in the multiplayer game There are other ways of strategising of course, but the ways i tell you are the ways they were meant to be used. I have noticed a long time ago that if you build the right strategy, you should be able to build your whole strike force with the credits you were given at the start. Once you run out of credits you should immediately attack the opponent. DO NOT LINGER AND TRY TO FIT IN AN EXTRA CRUISER OR SO. ATTACK IMMEDIATELY! build extras on your way over there. These strategies i am about to tell you, only work for the standard multiplayer levels. They work for the standard solo levels too, but you will have to modify the combination a little depending on the conditions.

So if your ready here it is, we'll start with gaitori and work up..

GAITORI: Your Class 1 destroyer is the best ship gairori have...lose this first and you lost. Class 2 destroyers are the second best ship gairori have, build massive amounts of class 2 destroyers and once your credits run out, immediately attack. Once you have fought your initial battle you need to send in the clean up crew. Clean up usually in all races consists of cruisers. So send cruisers to the planet to make sure they don't build any more. remember at this stage of the game, this is where my theory comes in handy. Remember which classes out class which. If you lost your initial battle and still have a small fleet left, don't build any more with gaits, wait till you have enough money to buy an HVD and you will be all set as long as your hvd doesn't get overwelmed at the planet with the enemy fleet waiting for you to build it. This is my basic strategy and it is the best way there is. Adjust it how you seem fit.

HUMANS: (the pilots dream race) Once again your class 1 destroyer is most important. Lose this first and you'll more than likely lose. Much like gaitori your class 2 destroyer is very important. With humans, these are the only 2 ships you need to worry about. build massive amounts of class 2 destroyers and guard them with your class 1 destroyer. Your clean up crew will consist of gunships. With Humans piloting skill is a must. The winner of the two will be decided by piloting skill if you both use the proper strategy. Make sure to keep in mind humans have a slower hyper drive, so the one who attacks is at a disadvantage. HUman games have the tendency to last a while, so be prepared. Don't let the turrets distract you, while the flashing screen is annoying, keep focused. MOST IMPORTANTLY NEVER BUILD ANYTHING EXCEPT CLASS 2 DESTROYERS WITH HUMANS

ISHIMAN/Cantharian: (Jimmy Pages Favorite race of all time is ishiman) Ishiman and cantharian are the same basically in terms of strategy. #1 do not lose your HVD first, the one who does, will probably lose. #2 make sure you keep my theory in mind and build 2 capitol ships. one capitol ship will not have adequate support and will be destroyed quickly. With the rest of your credits build one class 2 destroyer so you have a backup incase your class one destroyer gets destroyed. Once you build this immediately attack. Before engaging your enemy make sure you have some fighters launched already so you can counter their capitol ships with your squadron ships. (keeping in mind my theory) you now are attacking them with every class of ship there is. Once you engage the enemy seek and destroy the enemy hvd immediately. always have your gunship selected as a control target so you can immediatly switch pilots in an emergancy. your number 1 priority is to protect your carriers and destroy their class 1 and then class 2 destroyers. Once you have done this send in a clean up crew of cruisers to finish off the job. KEEP IN MIND WITH ISHIMAN THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT FACTORS THAT CAN CONTRIBUTE TO A WIN, AND THEY ALL ARE VERY SMALL SO ALWAYS REMEMBER THE THEORY IN THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD Ishiman are the standard race for ares and they are for a reason. Ishiman prove every bit of this theory to be true, there are no factors that go outside of this theory, so remember which classes of ships do what and adjust accordingly. Cantharian are the same as ishiman except their HVD has a cool looking weapon 😃 Just keep in mind the jimmy page theory and you'll be good to go.

-----This now ends the races which are based mostly on theory, audomen and sals are the variable races--audomen and sals as you will see, break the rules.-----

Lets discuss Salrillians...ahh the cloaking race...

Just the nature of being able to cloak tells you that sals are naturally a caniving, strategising bunch of slugs by heart. The basic heart of a salrillian fleet lies in it's cloaked gunships, so whatever you do keep this in mind. The Salrillian class 1 destroyer is amazingly deadly, however requires the most nimble reflexes to opperate. It has the most range also as well as being able to cloak. The HVD once it is out of it's main weapon is useless though. Once you run out of pulses you are better off with a gunship. With sals however there is not one way to do it. JUst generally remember the gunships with the hvd make the best offensive combo. But if you are the strategising type, sals have cloaked transports which open up the doors to a whole different bal game. WITH SALS, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO USE ZOOM TO NEAREST HOSTILE, WHEN YOUR SCREEN ZOOMS IN AUTOMATICALLY, THE ENEMY IS CLOSE. ALSO REMEMBER THAT WHEN DRIVEN BY THE COMPUTER ALL SHIPS TRAVEL ON THE SAME BEATEN PATH FROM PLANET TO PLANET... I will leave the doors open to you, and i will keep some of my secrets to this race at bay. Sals are a very mysterious race and are perfect for a strategising pilot who avoids big conflicts.

Last, but not least, the AUdOMEN...

The auds, are the race which requires the least piloting skill. You don't want to lose your HVD first, but if you do, you can still easily win.. Do keep in mind my theory again of how the ship classes work against each other. Generally you want to build massive amounts of squadron ships with auds for 3 reasons. cruisers come with holographic projectors. cruisers are controlled very well by the computer and lots of times do well without you. cruisers are the fastest. Some people like to add one gunship or 2 to the fleet, which is fine, as long as you are a confident pilot. be carefull when piloting an aud cruiser, they are fast. You can always build carriers, but for once the rules of my theory are broken in the fact that, the carriers squadron fighters are not enough to counter a massive fleet of holographic cruisers and the carriers do not pack enough punch to support themselves. they are slow and while their beams look cool, they are short and over rated. Do what you want with auds, but do remember that auds do break the rules a bit. with auds you can never go wrong with cruisers.

OK and that is the end of "Jimmy Page's Theory of Ares and advanced guide to ares multiplay"--Part 1 .

So for all of you out there here are some final words of advice...

1. take care of your HVD at all costs, don't drive recklessly.
    2)always keep the heirarchy of ship classes that i have told you in the back of your mind.
  2. do not linger around with these strategies, once you build everything i told you, attack immediately, any additional ships are part of your cleanup and should be built as described.
    4)i'll probably be adding more in the future...

Any fanmail or whatever..lol.. send it to mr_ryno4@yahoo.com
I'll be writing a part 2 to this, look for this guide to appear on (url="http://"http://www.magleague.com")www.magleague.com(/url) shortly. If you do wish to use any of this in anything, give me some credit, this took forever to write, and alot of time to gather the details into this topic. This information is based on my experiances with ares over a long period of time, and is not from ambrosia or anything like that in any way shape or form. I more then likely missed something since i'm tired, so i'll keep editing this untill it covers it all. I do give vegeta credit, but his theory was based to heavily on piloting to make up the difference where strategy failed, so now you have the rock paper scissors theory revisited and changed into "Jimmy Page's Theory of Ares and advanced guide to ares multiplay"--Part 1 .

look for part 2 soon...there's still more to cover before i leave and school starts, but right now i'm going to bed 😛

------------------
ramble on..
--Jimmy Page
(list)
(*)(1st Class Zacha Admiral and guitar legend throughout the sol system.)

Intriguing... Here's my version:

Ishiman:

Cruiser's are useless, even against gunships. Build 2 carriers, don't lose your hvd, and build gunships from then on.

Cantharan:

The gunship that you'll pilot and cruisers.

Salrilian:

Gunships. Keep a gunship at home though if you're against another Sal.

Audemedon:

Forget the HVD and pilot a gunship. Then, built gunships with a sprinkling of cruisers.

Gaitori:

Keep building gunships.

-----
I don't think the paper-scissors-rock theory holds true... while decent ships, Ishiman cruisers cannot harass an Ishiman hvd. Ok, they can. But you'll probably regret losing all your cruisers.

remember what i said about your strategys being "blown away" when my plug comes out, dont worry, its still in Alpha (muhahaha...). And yes i use these strategies too, and no i didnt learn them from jimmy. And there not really HIS strategys per say, there merely the best ones. And i could be alot higher ranked on MaG if i actually played so there 😛

------------------
Newbie bashing = Tactical destruction of possible future threats = NATO
So why cant i do it?

of course pyro never plays any mag games anymore, these strategies are just something i found that works overtime, they aren't anybody's really, the rock paper scissors theory does hold true, but only if you look at my version, in order for it to be true, you can't contribute piloting skill as a factor in determining a theory, piloting skill should be an additional factor that adds to your favor, your strategy should never be based solely on it, and that's all i have to say for now, so there.. 🙂

------------------
ramble on..
--Jimmy Page
(list)

Originally posted by Count Altair El Alemein:
**Intriguing... Here's my version:

Ishiman:

Cruiser's are useless, even against gunships. Build 2 carriers, don't lose your hvd, and build gunships from then on.

Well, when you are losing, and have few credits...don't underrate cruisers. An Ish cruiser with a good pilot can successfully destroy two unsupported cantharan carriers. There are ways of drawing the support ships away, and an overconfident player doesn't really pay attention until its too late. Trust me, its been done before.

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."

yeah you never want to actually use gunships in the end, you always want to build cruisers in most cases, unless maybe you're using gaitori. gunships use too many credits, and are too slow to do the job by themselves, then ya gotta build more eventually, and you won't have enough credits..cruisers are the best..

------------------
ramble on..
--Jimmy Page
(list)