Two questions regarding new scenarios

I just started playing Ares again after a few months so I'm really excited about Hera and new scenarios. So I downloaded one called Wrath of the Fallen preview. It's fun and the graphics are much more than passable (pretty good, but not EXCELLENT). It also makes fighters useful. If anyone has played this, they know that level 4 (I think it's level 4) is almost impossible to beat. Apparently they're all beatable, but this one is almost impossible. It involves an attack on Sol. You have to destroy six defense stations, and each is heavily shielded and has a bunch of heavy fighters on board. Your own forces are probably less than sufficient to take out the defense stations alone, or at least an even match, but then there are a lot of large enemy ships with lots of shields and powerful weapons. One type has a weapon that PERMANENTLY disables your thrusters. So how do I win? Help!

Also, what other scenarios (single player, but maybe some Net later) that are really good and worth downloading? I want to wait on net levels since I have only gotten two games going on Game Ranger (both of which were unplayable due to 1-2 second lag!!!!) It seems as if most people are no longer playing it online. Anyway, I like single player better because it's so much easier to control your ship. Any idea on how or why it's so slow? Just so you know, I have DSL. And the person I was playing against also had it, but there was still a 1-1.3 second lag time.

------------------
Luca Rescigno
"And may not every one of the stars or suns have as great a retinue of planets with moons to wait upon them as has our own Sun?"
-Christiaan Huygens

Iron Fist
Earth Quest
Ishiman Quest
SETR multiplayer edition (can be edited with hera for single player)
Black Seas
Babylon 5 (is very rough edition)

Just get all of them for safe measure. It's wise to ignore the ratings, as the whole system is stuffed up.

I got Black Seas. I'm stuck on the two gateship level.

I'm confused by Hera. I have no idea how to use it (though it seems to be a somewhat user friendly interface), and there's no enclosed documentation that I could find. Any help, please? I just want to make a simple level that's the same as When The Iron is Hot except that you're Obish and can build their three ship types instead of the Ishiman. An Elejeetian level would also be fun (though they only have 1 ship type). Maybe they could be supported by Ishiman or Obish or Humans, or have captured Audomedon transports and fighters. That would be interesting.

------------------
Luca Rescigno
"And may not every one of the stars or suns have as great a retinue of planets with moons to wait upon them as has our own Sun?"
-Christiaan Huygens

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
**I got Black Seas. I'm stuck on the two gateship level.

I'm confused by Hera. I have no idea how to use it (though it seems to be a somewhat user friendly interface), and there's no enclosed documentation that I could find. Any help, please? I just want to make a simple level that's the same as When The Iron is Hot except that you're Obish and can build their three ship types instead of the Ishiman. An Elejeetian level would also be fun (though they only have 1 ship type). Maybe they could be supported by Ishiman or Obish or Humans, or have captured Audomedon transports and fighters. That would be interesting.

Try looking in the Hera Documentation folder. The file hera_reference.html contains a complete reference manual as well as two tutorials.

------------------
GR Name: Sgt. Patrick(EL)
(url="http://"http://www.obain.f2s.com/eastlegion.html")Eastlegion HQ(/url)
My upcoming Ares TC:
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum13/HTML/000216.html")Wrath Of The Fallen(/url)

Level 5 in the WOTF preview only requires the destruction of the 2 stations guarding Earth, not all of the stations.

------------------
GameRanger SN: Col. Patrick (EL)

I have to agree with Luca. It is very hard. I couldn't beat it.

On another topic, how is WOTF going? I noticed I haven't got any new emails from you, leading me to suspect I'm no longer on your beta list.

Originally posted by Count Altair El Alemein:
**I have to agree with Luca. It is very hard. I couldn't beat it.

On another topic, how is WOTF going? I noticed I haven't got any new emails from you, leading me to suspect I'm no longer on your beta list.**

You haven't gotten any emails from me because WOTF isn't going to well. In fact, I decided that everything I had done sucked and started over. Right now I'm just working on the graphics.

------------------
GameRanger SN: Col. Patrick (EL)

I haven't sent any e-mails and I'm not on your beta list because I'm not a beta tester. I just downloaded the WOTF thing that is in the file section. It's pretty good. Ineresting, with the humans as the aggressors.

The last mission is harder than the first mission on the "Really Hard Missions" plug.

------------------
Luca Rescigno
-Christiaan Huygens

Okay, yesterday I finished the last mission, taking into account that I only had to destroy the two stations. Once I beat it, it seemed easier. The ending led me to believe that there would be another mission. It's far too abrupt, but the mission itself is neat: sending a suicide fleet in to take out the defense stations in preparation for a final assault to take Earth.

Well, I suppose it's still in beta, so I shouldn't be critical of the lack of a last mission. So far, it's good.

------------------
Luca Rescigno
-Christiaan Huygens

I got Black Seas but I cant beat the aud mothership level. Any hints?

------------------
Out ride the sons of Terra,
Far dirves the thundering jet,
Up leaps the race of Earthmen,
Out, far, and onward yet - Robert A. Heinlein, The Green Hills of Earth

Well first off that is a very difficult level, one of the hardest I have ever played, and I only finished it once. Sometimes it's impossible.

-Capture the middle planet immediately.
-Every time you lose your last frigate, you get one free at your home base.
-The Auds always have one carrier.

I suggest building tons and tons of warships, until you torpedo anything that comes near you. When you have a $#@% huge fleet, build an assault transport and bring it near. Try to avoid the enemy planet, because 1 enemy carrier will just materialise every time you kill one. Instead, knock out the aud station, and capture it with the assault transport. Afterwards, it's a matter of time.

Some of the new plugs are just insanely difficult. And fun too, but you invest so much time in them... I haven't played Ares in a small while, but I will probably pick it back up again. I'm looking forward to some of the newest TC's really.

------------------
Madness takes it's toll; Please have exact change.

Speaking of TC's, I'm planning on releasing Jaddriack Quest soon. It will be in the manner of Ishiman Quest except with Jaddriack ESF and Union ships. Probably going to be ready in 2 weeks.

I don't expect any major TC's to be released before the end of this term, or even by 2002. The only major ones I can think of is Marathon (they haven't even started working out the levels or balancing the ships yet), Starlance (plagued by graphic problems), WITV (is going to be a while what with 120 levels), SETR (I won't even START describing the workload I have here), Footsteps of Phyrrus. Now there's some good news, footsteps is from the beta I've received practically finished.

Thats funny, I never had any problems with the mothership level. Now one thing that is really ****ing hard is that plugin (it's late, I've forgotten the name) with the cruise missiles. In one of the levels half your fleet is wiped out within about a minute because of those damned missiles.

------------------
'Is that what I think it is?'
'What?'
'A big orange swirly thing in space!'

• Red Dwarf