Coldstone Chronicles: Not So Alone

The outcast. The misfit. The weird one. Whatever they called him, he didn't fit in.

Everybody avoided him right from day one. To associate with the likes of him meant losing all one's social standing at Sand River Senior High.

His appearance was odd enough. Long blond hair, going halfway down his back, some of it thinly braided. A narrow, pointed face. Pointed ears. He just didn't look right.

His name was Elestar. Everyone thought that was odd enough. But as if that wasn't enough, those in his classes realized just how strange he really was.

Elestar had the math capabilities of a nine-year-old. The teacher soon realized he wasn't stupid- he'd just never learned it. He knew nothing of history or geography. Speaking French was nearly impossible. But the strangest class was physical education.

One of the first units was archery. This was the only sport he knew, but he was better at it then anyone else. He hit the target dead-on every time. He could fit an arrow to the bow in seconds. His hands seemed made to hold a bow.

Elestar was different from everyone else, and everyone knew it.

Until she came along.

Her name was Sólia. Her dark brown hair reached her waist. She had a thin face and pointed ears. It didn’t take long for people to realize that however Elestar was different, Sólia was different in the same way.

She’d come in the middle of the year and wound up in many of Elestar’s classes, including physical education.

One week into the term, the teacher was ill. As luck would have it, the substitute teacher decided to do archery again.

Sólia was the only one who could match Elestar’s archery skills. People watched as a friendly competition sprang up between them. The stunned teacher gave them the whole period, but by the bell neither had bested the other.

An instant friendship was born. After school they practiced archery on the fields. (Nobody was surprised that they both had their own bows.) They could be seen walking down the halls, speaking in an unrecognizable language. They were Elestar and Sólia; two misfits defying this culture they were lost in.

Nothing would ever be the same for them.

MOOOORRRREEE!!!! 😄

Very good, it made me tingle FOUR TIMES. 🙂

------------------
"If the Party could thrust its hand into the past and say this or that even, it never happened—that, surely, was more terrifying than mere torture and death." - 1984
(url="http://"http://www.danicsoft.com/")http://www.danicsoft.com/(/url)
(note the freaky registration date)

Elves. Elves. Elves.

------------------
The answer to life, the universe, and everything is...42.

Welcome to the CS chron boards, Katerei! First off, a ritual disclaimer. If you have any issues about the reviews of your chron here, remember this address: (url="http://"mailto:andiyar@epitheisterra.com")mailto:andiyar@epitheisterra.com(/url)andiyar@epitheisterra.com

Originally posted by Celchu:
**Now, you do a fine job setting up the story here, but that's really all it is, a set-up. To keep interest, you must introduce a conflict somewhere, or else there won't be many people wondering about a sequel. No offense meant, just fact and experience. Now, in the next installment, I assume you will reveal that they are elves. My advice: Either reveal this very soon or not at all. If you try to keep it as a suprise, people will groan.

How many times have I said this? Three? Four? Of course it's only a set-up; and there is nothing planned for after this. I don't want anyone wondering about sequels because there's not going to be one.

Oh, and isn't it sort of obvious that they're elves? No need for me to point it out.

...he'd be harassed by Legolas jokes his entire term.

It's supposed to give the impression that the "normal" people don't know what elves are; that they don't know they exist. So no, Elestar's not going to be bugged about being a Legolas look-alike. Nor is Sólia for Arwen.

------------------
A sense of peace fell over me as I watched the sunrise from my room...then I realized my window faces west.

(This message has been edited by iKaterei (edited 08-27-2002).)

Originally posted by iKaterei:
How many times have I said this? Three? Four? Of course it's only a set-up; and there is nothing planned for after this. I don't want anyone wondering about sequels because there's not going to be one.

Once at last count, and that was only on irc, and pretty vague. Doesn't change my comments, though. Just FYI, a person's further intentions on the Chron board will not effect my opinion on their current work.

Oh, and isn't it sort of obvious that they're elves? No need for me to point it out.**

Well, that's why I included the option of not mentioning it ever. It is a valid option.

Edit: Grammar.

(This message has been edited by Celchu (edited 08-27-2002).)

This seems like a great starts to a story, leaves the readers with a nice hunger for -more-. I'll have to keep an eye out for the follow ups.

------------------
Siena College- Like Yale, only not!
"Anything is possible, except skiing through a revolving door."

I don't want anyone wondering about sequels because there's not going to be one.

No sequel? Awww..... :frown:

MOOOORRRREEE!!!!

Indeed... I must agree with Iridium. 😕

------------------
If people would take the time to understand and know someone, to appreciate this person, wouldn't we live in a better world?
But if we did, then how would we learn anything? A world without hurt is a world without lessons.

(This message has been edited by PinkFluffyBunny (edited 09-04-2002).)