Coldstone Chronicles: A Working Man

This is a quick little snippit to set the mood for the begining of my forthcoming science fiction / medieval fantasy serial RPG. Kind of a strange genre, but I'm banking on the rarity with which you see this type of story to help me out. And don't criticize me on the dialog style -- it's supposed to be modern. Anyway, on with the show:

Turning around, Carrey could see his now former employer lying on the ground with his bag ripped open and a long, nasty slash running across his upper chest and shoulder. A second injury, this one from something heavy and to the skull had ended his meager existence. Carrey barely knew the man, but he hadn't tried to skate on any contracts yet, his money was good, and it was usually up front. All in all, they had shared an honorable relationship.

But, that was over now. Carrey needed a new job. Maybe when he got back into town he could collect on his old --
"HEY! Who the hell are you!?"

Carrey looked up and slowly turned back around to face the now impatient band of miscreants that he was assuming had ended his contract with the gentleman at his feet. There were three of them. The one that had yelled at him was tall -- a little lanky, but otherwise well built. He was wearing a barely passing excuse for a leather jerkin, and carried what looked to have been a pike at some time, but was now little more than a broken walking stick with a dull blade tied to the end of it. The other two were of lesser stature, but seemed better equipped. They also looked more nervous. Carrey addressed them first.

"You two look like you were in the war. Not officers... Stable hands or infantry?" he said, ignoring the leering headman of their group.

"Uh, infantry," said the one on the left, haltingly. He looked surprised by the question. "I was in --"

"Hey, shuddap!" snapped the tall one, now thrusting his half-pike towards Carrey. "Untie that scabbard! Throw yer sword over to us!"

Carrey looked from the headman to the other two. They were fidgeting. Their swords were drawn, but they weren't really pointing them anywhere.

"No."

The headman started. "What? I'll run ye through! En' I'll get yer gear anyway, so you best do what I said, hear?"

"But if you stab me, there'll be a big hole in my tunic. No, I like this stuff. These boots were expensive, too. I think I'll hang on to them."

"SHUT UP!" screamed the headman. He inched closer to Carrey, who remained still as a rock. "I'll tell ye once more --"

"Actually, I think I'll hang on to you three as well." The thugs froze for a moment. "My employer was going to pay me good money to find you fellows, and I think I can get the township to uphold at least part of that contract." He paused, letting his words settle in. "What, you didn't know I was looking for you? Don't act so surprised -- why else would any self-respecting man wander out into this pitiful little hideaway of yours? You don't do the descriptions I was given justice though. Said you were vicious... You just look hungry."

"Damn him, he's a man-hunter!" shouted the shortest of the now worried looking men.

Carrey cringed a little. "Once in a while, yes, I am. So now you know what you're in for. Still want my gear?"

The headman raised his half-pike and cried out as he charged forward. The air crackled, and he was lying on the ground, his stomach and lungs burning from some unseen impact, before he could even take a swing. Dropping his weapon, he clutched at his chest while he gasped for air. In a moment he was out cold. His compatriots took two very large steps backwards and brought their swords up to defend themselves. They braced themselves slightly against the pressure building in the air around Carrey.

Carrey's hand tingled a little bit where he had begun his summoning motion. The skin there glowed ever so faintly, giving the impression that there was a silvery fire burning outwards from within, trying to escape the confines of his flesh. He had meant to use a weaker compression wave to knock the man down. Now it looked as though he would be unconscious for a few minutes. Starring at the hoodlum who had proclaimed himself an infantry man, he spoke:

"Put your swords away. One of you pick up your friend, one of you pick up mine. We're going back to town."

(This message has been edited by theGlueBubble (edited 06-12-2001).)

Pretty good. I hope the rest of your storyline is as intersting.

------------------
Go to (url="http://"http://www.magewar.com")Archmage(/url), a completely internet based strategy game. There you can play with or agenst literally thousands of other players, and they even have a spanish server, with the entire game in spanish.
Go to the (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/phpbb")unoffical EV webboards(/url).

ah, this piece doesn't even touch the tip of the ice berg, if what I'm thinking of for my series pans out. That's not to brag -- I think my story is excellent as it is laid out in my head , but I doubt I'll be able to put it all out into a game so well. and then there's the issue of the gameplay...

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Definitely well-written. As you said, it doesn't really give very much of the plot, but interesting nonetheless. You didn't really incorporate any scifi into it that I could see, however. Or are you just putting that in the game? Write more!

(edit)PS. Scifi+Fantasy makes for a really cool story, if done right!(/edit)
------------------
"You have not seen him," Gandalf broke in.
"No, and I don;t want to. I can't understand you. Do you mean to say that you, and the Elves, have let him live after all those horrible deeds? Now at any rate he is as bad as an orc, and just an enemy. At any rate, he deservves death."
"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be so eager to deal out death in judgement."

(This message has been edited by Commodore Antilles (edited 06-30-2001).)

Originally posted by Commodore Antilles:
Definitely well-written. As you said, it doesn't really give very much of the plot, but interesting nonetheless. You didn't really incorporate any scifi into it that I could see, however. Or are you just putting that in the game? Write more!
(edit)PS. Scifi+Fantasy makes for a really cool story, if done right!(/edit)

it's going to be a serries of short (5-8 hour) games, focusing on an individual who calls himself "Sam," and his influence on history. the plot is all science fiction (it's sort of an alternate-history thing, based on current events...), but the play style of the first few games will be that of a medieval fantasy, steadily becoming more and more science fiction as the serries progresses. the main character for the game will probably change in every installment (it's never Sam though -- the games are an indirect way to see how he affects the world). I hope to build on the characters introduced in every game by working backwards through their lives in the following installments, until you reach a part of history that you can recognize as the not-to-distant future. well, that's the plan anyway...

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Originally posted by jmitchell:
**it's going to be a serries of short (5-8 hour) games, focusing on an individual who calls himself "Sam," and his influence on history. the plot is all science fiction (it's sort of an alternate-history thing, based on current events...), but the play style of the first few games will be that of a medieval fantasy, steadily becoming more and more science fiction as the serries progresses. the main character for the game will probably change in every installment (it's never Sam though -- the games are an indirect way to see how he affects the world). I hope to build on the characters introduced in every game by working backwards through their lives in the following installments, until you reach a part of history that you can recognize as the not-to-distant future. well, that's the plan anyway...

Hrmm.Sounds interesting.

------------------
"You have not seen him," Gandalf broke in.
"No, and I don;t want to. I can't understand you. Do you mean to say that you, and the Elves, have let him live after all those horrible deeds? Now at any rate he is as bad as an orc, and just an enemy. At any rate, he deservves death."
"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be so eager to deal out death in judgement."

eh -- we'll see. I'll post some sketch art or another story sometime...

------------------
-Jedi

Aren't any new stories going to show up? This one is already a month old, and mine's been on the waiting list for 3 weeks. There hasn't been one new story since this one, and even if mine doesn't come out for another three months, there needs to be a new story accepted real soon.
Come on, people! It might take you all of 2-15 minutes the review a story and accept it!

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.avidgamers.com/phil")Philosophical Mouse(/url), two words that don't go together.
I'm finally out of marshmallows.
(/backspeak)(/mindless rant)

I've been gone two and a half weeks -- I can't do it when I'm gone.

------------------
The peace that I search for eludes me. I search for it when the sun comes up, and the setting sun finds me the same. I do not know when I will find what I am looking for.

Originally posted by theKestrel:
**I've been gone two and a half weeks -- I can't do it when I'm gone.

Does anyone else do it, or are you the only CS Chronicle guy?
And if you mods are short on people, I'd be happy to review stories officially.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.avidgamers.com/phil")Philosophical Mouse(/url), two words that don't go together.
I'm finally out of marshmallows.
(/backspeak)(/mindless rant)

Originally posted by Mouse:
Does anyone else do it, or are you the only CS Chronicle guy?
And if you mods are short on people, I'd be happy to review stories officially.

Heh, I'd volunteer, but I'm afraid that I'll butcher every story with bad grammar, and simply reject anything that didn't meet my standards.

------------------
"He's a professional politician. He doesn't hold any opinions other than those he's paid to have."