Ares or Mars Rising

I've decided to take advantage of Ambrosia Shareware Amnesty Week, I'm debating whether to get Mars Rising or Ares. They are both a lot of fun, but Ares is a little too difficult.
Also, do you get anything extra when you register Ares? In Mars rising, you gain acess to the rest of the levels.
Thanks!

Same deal with Ares, and Ares has more levels and a decent plot to boot. Plus, Ares has third party capabilities (i.e. you can use and create plug-ins). $10 is a steal for Ares. Hell, why not get both? $20 isn't that much money.

------------------
The Oracular Net would like to know your favorite color

ares? difficult? LOL 😄

------------------
just take my post, and imagine everything is speeled right.
nickel count: 9

Maybe levels 13, 16, and 20, but nothing in the demo is unbeatable with the old "build 1000 cruisers on your base" stratagy or good piloting skilz.

------------------
Formerly-Rampant Human-Coded AI

I was dissapointed with Mars rising. I've made it to the last level, but only by cheating with 2 overlayed players with the same controls each. The weapons are way to weak and there aren't enough, it's impossible. Ares kicks ass.

------------------
Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Get Ares! There's so much more room for stratagy and thought.

------------------
EV Haiku- by Matt Burch
Floating chunks of rock
Space bomb drops too soon, kaboom
Time for escape pod

Thanks a lot for your help! I'm defunutely leaning towards Ares. I'm getting better at it. I'm on Chapter 5: Into the Frying Pan. (That's the same name as a Ferazel's Wand game!) How many levels do you get to play in the unregistered version?

------------------

First, it's obvious more people here will like Ares. Second, neither game is really "Better" than the other. It all depends on a particular person's game preference.

------------------
To Escape Velocity: Nova and Beyond!
--------------
Millennium. Its coming, prepare for it.
Coming to the (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiaSW.com/games/ev/chronicles.html")EV Chronicles(/url).

In the unregistered version, you can play six levels. When you register, you can play twenty single player levels as well as five multiplayer levels. And, if you get 1.2.0b6, you can play plugs that have been made for it.

------------------
"I am the supreme dictator of the universe, it's just that nobody knows about it yet."
"Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow."

Just Get both and Play your little Life Away!
And Does anyone know how many levels Mars Rising has?

------------------
Game Ranger Name:_-ŻecaŻ-_E ď/ď ďď e i/L
Hey people why dont we put are game ranger names here in our signature since there isn't really any other place to put it on the board

I registered Mars rising a while back, and I like it. But the trouble is, because there are no cheats, unless you are good you never get to see the later levels. I'd really love to try a God Mode on that game.

Sure you can begin at later levels but you never have the powerups so you die pretty quick.

I sure hope Deimos Rising will provide some more assistance for unco's like me.

Ares is quite different - not so much an arcade game.

Ares is way better... It may be just that I don't like getting killed and having to start the WHOLE game over from the beginning. 🙂

R.M.

------------------
The Original Lunatic Miranu Geisha Girl

I have to agree with Reiko ares is much better.

Hi Reiko anatawa genki desuka?

Originally posted by Reiko Mimi:
**Ares is way better... It may be just that I don't like getting killed and having to start the WHOLE game over from the beginning.:)

R.M.

Of course, some other people may have a different opinion. It all depends on what a particular person likes and looks for in a game. Some people may like a simple shooter game like Mars Rising, but other people may enjoy space strategy games like Ares. I don't think that either of those games can be "Better" than the other.

------------------
To Escape Velocity: Nova and Beyond!
--------------
Millennium. Its coming, prepare for it.
Coming to the (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiaSW.com/games/ev/chronicles.html")EV Chronicles(/url).

Thanks a lot for your help! I've decided on Ares, since it is expandable and it has strategy. I ordered it today, so I should get my code soon. Meanwhile, I'm trying to learn Hera. 😕

------------------

(This message has been edited by cat99 (edited 02-24-2001).)

Originally posted by cat99:
**Thanks a lot for your help! I've decided on Ares, since it is expandable and it has strategy. I ordered it today, so I should get my code soon. Meanwhile, I'm trying to learn Hera.😕

Yeah, so are the beta testers.

------------------
The Oracular Net would like to know your favorite color

I don't know how to use Hera, but even so, I will not swear in every sentence.

(This message has been edited by Laguna (edited 02-25-2001).)

I get corrupted files after working for 10 mins...I wish b7 would come! :mad:

------------------
--Talon_Karrde, MoD, 61:4--
Visit (url="http://"http://www.planetarion.com")www.planetarion.com(/url) and sign up for some real gaming experience!

Originally posted by EMINEM:
**Just Get both and Play your little Life Away!
And Does anyone know how many levels Mars Rising has?

Mars Rising has 28 levels I think. I registered both Ares and Mars Rising under Amnesty, and I am glad I did, I love both games! I need some major practise on MR, I can't even get past level 4! I played the last stage just to see what it was like - I was dead in about 30 seconds, all 3 lives gone! I think by that point in the game, you're supposed to have earned a whole bunch of extra lives and powerups.

------------------

(This message has been edited by The_virus (edited 03-03-2001).)

Mars rising can be a real pain. Sometimes you'll die without a lock, and you will simply will not have any of your powerups, meaning you die and loose in about 20 seconds. I've gotten to level 28, where that happened. I exploded, and nothing came out. And of course, then, even if you ARE fully powered up, the level is a real bitch anyway, and you'll need 6 guys left to be safe. (the powerup dissapear bug is only in the newest version, but in the pervious version, you could only have 8 guys. Touch tradeoff....)

------------------
Someone's after you, personally. One word; two syllables; rhymes with Psycho.