!BETA TEST!

yay me too!

I'm sorry, I know there was something about this that was pinned, but it seems to have dissapeared. How exactly do you beta test? I mean, I know for a fact that my game is too large to email or upload to my site.

I have a game I recently finished and I think it is ready to beta. So can I upload it to the addons page or how should i distribute it?

sorry again, im forgetfull :rolleyes:

Pixor, the information is still there in the pinned topics. It's just that two topics were merged into one. Andiyar has offered to host beta test files with a limit of 25MB. Go to the last entry of the top thread and read carefully the conditions under which his site can be used.

You can set up the beta test so that your testers need a password to download your file, or you can limit the testers by giving the address to only those you wish to have it. Or you can have an "open beta" meaning that anyone who is interested can have access to your file. I do not recommend this last option.

You can use this thread to chose the persons you would like to have on your team, or you can ask that those who wish to test contact you via PM or email. You can also contact those who you would like to have on your team and ask if they are willing to be part of your beta test. As I have stated in the thread above, I think you should limit the testers to about 5 in number. The testing would not start until you have a site established where they can download your work.

CHa0s has suggested a web forum where testers can post their comments so that they can be read by the other testers. This works well and eliminates some duplication of effort. I have used a system whereby each tester emails the group so everyone gets to see what others have found.

It is not uncommon to go through several versions before you get to the point where your testers say there's nothing more they can find to fix. At Andiyar's site he requires that you remove V.1 before you upload V.1.01. This just makes sense.

Ok.. so the finished game i've created is called Space Engine. It is basically a Wizard folder that would be placed in the Coldstone Wizards section. That way you can create your own space game. Currently I'm doing the Beta Test of the compiled game, just to make sure that it works as is. Then once that is completed I will distribute the Folder for testing.

It is a simple game in which the player acts as the "crosshair" and the npc's move around as if they are facing you. They randomely shoot at you, and you have to dodge their shots by pressing 'a' 's' 'd' 'w' to move your ship while they are charging. It isn't that difficult. Its not the best looking game in the world, but its just a new way of looking at things, and i thought other people might be able to play off it and make an actual good looking game.

PM me if you would like to test it.

This post has been edited by Pixor : 31 May 2006 - 02:45 PM