Sprite problem

I'll be having the fog of war checked on when I release my game. You're right, it is a better game with the fog of war checked on. But while I'm creating my game, it's off. That's what meets my needs. You may need to see the fog of war while you're creating it.

440x440 is the default size of your map pictures in order for the fog of war to be correct in the default map space. If you change the inside size of your map space, then you'll need to change the size of your map pictures to exactly match the pixels of your inside map space.

Here's why: When the Player plays the game and wants to see the map picture, he clicks on map. Coldstone has that interface graphic (copied from the medieval game), and in the middle of that graphic is the entire map picture measured in pixels. You can change the size of that by going to options and identifying that map interface. (Do not confuse the map interface with the main interface.) There's a red box that allows you to change the size of the "hole" that the map picture fits into. The size of that red box, in pixels, must exactly match the size of your map picture, in pixels. If it doesn't, then the "X" that identifies the Player's location on the map will be incorrect. So, map picture size in pixels = map interface "hole" in pixels.

Anyone making a plug-in for POG must keep their map picture dimensions at 440 pixels x 440 pixels. That's because the hole in the map interface is set to 440x440 and you can't change it. Anyone making a stand-alone game can adjust it to whatever they want as long as map-pic-dimensions = map-interface-hole-dimensions.

That the engine reads movement tiles to know where to place the "X" is a different issue. Gotta get your map picture dimensions right first.

sighs RD, the problem has nothing to do with the map pictures themselves. I mean, why on earth would the look of the map picture influence the fog of war - it doesn't.

Debra, my maps are at 440x440 size, because I'm still using the medieval map overview. That one I left unchanged, the red box is 440x440 as well (I just checked it). I plan on changing that, but not right now.
The summary of the whole problem is, when the movement tiles do not match the ground tiles in size, the game still draws the X at the correct position (at least it seems to), but does not uncover the fog of war at the correct position.
In the images, the player is not at the same position.
This seems to be another bug of the engine.

When you changed your movement tiles to 32x32, that's when the engine reads the location of the Player. So the "X" is actually correct.

Change your movement tiles to 32x32. Start another game as a Player from your startup screen. (As in "start game", "load game") Run around a bit, and look at the fog of war. There is no bug in the engine concerning this.

RD wrote about the map dimensions, not the look of a map. When you change the dimensions of your map, you do it in the map editor window. You then need to create a picture, also in the map editor window. This makes your map pictures, and this needs to be done for fog of war to work right. Your map pictures are placed in the location folder in the pics folder. You can always check your map pictures by going into that folder and double-clicking on a pic.

That sounds like changes made during a running game would affect the running game. I doubt that.

And I think I stated that I redid the map pictures when I changed the map itself. If I didn't, I'm sorry, but I in fact did renew the map pictures when I remade the maps. Ok, I did it on the location editor, but I doubt that would make a difference, unless we have another bug there.

Ok, now I tried it now, took a map, changed its movement tiles size to 32x32 (while I increased the actual size from 56x56 to 168x168 what brought me a warning from Coldstone), and tried. At first it seemed ok, until I noticed that the X was located somewhat to the left of the uncovered field, and a little to the north. After walking east, it was suddenly located west of the uncovered field, in the black again.

Let me emphasize, the pic was fine , I double-checked that after I recreated it.

http://www.ambrosias...showtopic=48543

I'm not sure if that will help, but have a look.

Well, don't think that really helps me. My map images are 440x440 pixels, and 56x56 tiles, or, with movement tiles of 32x32, 168x168 tiles. That's below 500x500 or 440x440 tiles.

Could it be because the movement tiles are a different size from the ground tiles? That the X moves, like the character, on movement tiles, but the fog of war uncovers ground tiles?

@arion, on May 19 2006, 07:28 PM, said in Sprite problem:

Could it be because the movement tiles are a different size from the ground tiles? That the X moves, like the character, on movement tiles, but the fog of war uncovers ground tiles?

No.

In every other game I've seen the movement tiles are 1/3 the length of the ground tiles or close to that ratio. If I recall correctly, the player "sees" 10 movement tiles in each direction. If you teleport into a map you have not previously visited and land on tile 10, 10 you will uncover the fog in the upper left corner of the map for an area of 20 x 20 tiles. Now jump to tile 10, 30 and you have uncovered the adjacent 20 x 20 tiles to the east. You could actually have one giant ground tile which covers the entire map and it will not affect the workings of the "fog of war."

I will make you the same offer I did for GrahamVH in the thread to which Ledorax linked. Send me the map file (NOT the game) and any graphics I need to render the map, and I will try to trace the problem down. I know there is an error there somewhere and it is not a bug in the CS engine. Maps have been working fine for everyone before you. Even GrahamVH got his map problem solved, and certain aspects of it sound very much like the problems you have.

I'll just post a map here.

This map is nothing except for grass, I don't want to give away too much of the graphics. It works with the medieval game set (Forest_Base).
The problem becomes especially apparent if the character reaches the east side of the map.

Click here to download the map.