Making You Smaller?

Access Tiles

Alright, so I'm going to assume that some of you have heard of the Metroid games. In case you havnt, the main character can perform a move where she curls up into a little ball. This way she can get into smaller places and move faster etc.

Now back to my question...

Is this at all possible with coldstone? Now I know that you could easily make a spell that changes the player animation to a smaller form and raise speed and stuff. But would that really let you get in to smaller places?

I guess what I'm overall asking is, how does Coldstone determine if your character fits through a gap in the blocked off access tiles. So like if there was a passage, with the access tiles blocked off on either side, how does it know if you fit. Is it just that the character always just takes up one square? Or does it look at the size of the drawing?

Edit: Confusing Terminology

This post has been edited by Pixor : 27 November 2005 - 04:07 PM

All characters in your game take up one movement tile, no matter if your tiles are 8x8 or 256x256 pixels, or if your character is a mouse or a storm giant. Coldstone doesn't care. You could do this, though:

If you have a very narrow tunnel to the north, place an event at the south end of it which checks whether you are small or big. If you're big, nothing happens, but if you're small, it changes the tiles from blocked to cleared so that you may pass through. When you reach the end of the tunnel, it makes them blocked again so that you can't get back unless you're small again.

alright, that might work. But how do you clear access tiles in an event?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks again

This post has been edited by Pixor : 27 November 2005 - 06:29 PM