Changing Map Interface

Well... Seeing as no one else is saying anything, and I seem to have hit a dead end on the NPC Retreating, I'll ask this question which I was planning on saving until we solve the other one. 😄 But now seems like a good enough time. I was wondering, is it possible to change the map interface in the middle of the game? Maybe somehow have an event that changes it? Or what about the box on a location that says 'Use interface layout for this location' on the location screen. If u click that can u somehow add a new interface for this location?

Thanks in advance.

-Pixor

Aye, you can change this, I think.

I believe you could use your portrait for it, actually. Make your interface be all white and make both the game area and the portrait fill the entire screen. All your interfaces will have to have the buttons on the same places (you could make them not have that if you wanted but that would require some extra work and would give you fewer buttons). Okay, so you create your interfaces and make them have those buttons at the same places as your all white interface has them. You can then change the interface as much as you want by using the change player portrait action.

Okay, this may not make a lot of sense. If it doesn't I can make a few pictures to demonstrate.

Ledorax, on Aug 20 2005, 09:55 AM, said:

Aye, you can change this, I think.
Okay, this may not make a lot of sense. If it doesn't I can make a few pictures to demonstrate.
View Post

:mellow:

lol pictures please? lol

Very well.

Posted Image
Make a picture such as this (same size as your screen, of course) which has the locations of all the functions in the game (I only put in some basic rpg funcions) at the same locations as your acutal interface. Add everything where it should be in-game and put your "portrait" all over the screen. When you're done, replace the picture with one that's all white (you'll need a mask too of course).

Posted Image
Now you make a couple of interface pictures that you place in the portraits folder. When your game begins, set player portrait to the one you want it to be in the beginning. Then, when the time has come to change, change portrait again.

Posted Image
Here's a different one with the same things in it.

I hope that makes sense. 😛

hmmmm yeah it does.. And I thought that was what u meant... I tried it, and had problems. The game ran when I ran it with the 'use map interface for this location' box was unclicked. But when I set it to use the interface, it broke. When I would hit start game, it would simply quit out...... I will have to get back to u on this.. My cousins are here......

Try creating a blank white image and setting that as the interface.

Also, at least for me, coldstone will only change the player portrait if the player is moving from location to location. A way to work around this is to when ever you use the "Player Portrait" event action, below that have a call event that calls an event to check and see what map you are on and then teleports you to that map. It won't reload the map, but it will change the portrait.

Hope this helps somehow.