Spells...

I need some help with my spells, I need to make it so that it checks to see which way the player is facing and depending on where he is facing the spell does a different animation. I also need to know how to make it so that this certain spell can lock onto an object and move it to a place possible to move. This is a move spell from Golden Sun, for those who have played it they know what I am talking about.

gamingstaff, on Jun 11 2005, 03:34 PM, said:

I need to make it so that it checks to see which way the player is facing and depending on where he is facing the spell does a different animation.
View Post

If your spell animation has all eight directions, it will automatically travel in the correct direction from caster to target (assuming you have set up the animation in the right sequence.) This works from player to NPC and from NPC to player. Note: player may need to specify which NPC is the target.

gamingstaff, on Jun 11 2005, 03:34 PM, said:

I also need to know how to make it so that this certain spell can lock onto an object and move it to a place possible to move.
View Post

The "object" would have to be an NPC and you accomplish the move by linking a teleportation to the "Hit" in weapon links.

YAY, that really helps, ledorax <_<, he told me a completely HARD way to do it when I could just do what you said! Thanks RD :D.

Wait... to elaborate, what exactly would I do to make it move the NPC. The spell should affect the.... caster? Target? target... now, I would do a teleportation????? I know teleport but.. NPCs? is confused

New question. How do I make it so that when the player goes to the items dialog or spell book they can choose which users dialog in the party they want to have viewed.

This post has been edited by gamingstaff : 11 June 2005 - 08:48 PM

gamingstaff, on Jun 11 2005, 09:36 PM, said:

Wait... to elaborate, what exactly would I do to make it move the NPC. The spell should affect the.... caster? Target? target... now, I would do a teleportation????? I know teleport but.. NPCs? is confused
View Post

I think you'll have to invent some global/conditional which is met before the NPC "teleport" (I really should just say "move") takes place. I don't know enough of your story to know what is best here but some possibilities are: 1) player crosses a certain line and sets gb_NPC-object. 2) player reaches tile X, Y. 3) gb_CounterAgressiveNPCs = (some number)

Let's say your NPC is a bottle. Then the way the move works is as follows:
In weapon "hit" link, Conditional -> if global is set to allow "move bottle", NPC control reads "delete NPC_bottle" and "Add NPC_bottle at X, Y. Then Change global so that move is no longer allowed. You can set NPC_bottle with a very high HP so that it can't get killed when you shoot it with your spell. I made an assumption here that the spell can also be used aggressively on other NPCs. If this is not the case, then you won't need the global.

gamingstaff, on Jun 11 2005, 09:36 PM, said:

New question. How do I make it so that when the player goes to the items dialog or spell book they can choose which users dialog in the party they want to have viewed.
View Post

You'll have to explain this more. I don't understand the problem.

gamingstaff, on Jun 12 2005, 02:36 AM, said:

View Post

If you're doing a party based game, that's going to be hard.

For the inventory, I'd have a global for every single item in the game. When you click the inventory button, it checks which party member is currently selected, and then it checks all the globals.

You'd have to invent your own shop system for this to work properly. When the user "gets" an item, it adds 1 to a global. Fore example, player picks up mushroom, event adds 1 to "gb_mushrooms". There'd also have to be a special global for all the items that can be equipped (gb_dwarvenhammer is equal to 1).

Now, when the player enters inventory, the game asks you which party member's inventory you want to view. You select, say, Vladimir, and the game checks all the globals. If gb_mushroom is equal to 10 do add 10 mushrooms. You'd have to limit the amount of mushrooms you can pick up, or you would have to make hundreds of events. Then, it checks which item is equipped and equips it. When you leave the inventory screen it drops all items.

Quite flawed, I would guess, but you might be able to do it.

Wow... ok, this will take until the update to make then =P. This is a GS based game, nothing copied, just based on Golden Sun. So I am needing you to move, and have a party multible people with you.

I don't know Golden Sun, but from the many multi-character party based games I have played I notice that you can't control each party member indevidualy when they are adventuring, so on animation for all four or however many of them are there would work well, I think.

As far as multi-character combat goes, you'll have to make a rather intense turn-based battle system, with you switching between different characters and all.

But you probably already knew all that 😄 .

The battle system is already very intense, but I shall work at it with all my might.

And RD, the details of my spell. This spell is called move, it is only made for you to move objects if you are in correct distance of the object. This spell allows you to move the object wherever possible, as in, there are lines around this object that the object may not cross. Now I need to know how to make this spell so that when you cast it, it goes out of the box, locks onto the object you want it to lock onto, and then when it locks on, you be able to press an arrow key telling it where you want the object to move. That is as detailed as I can get :).

This post has been edited by gamingstaff : 12 June 2005 - 01:09 PM

Okay, let me take a crack at that. My god that sounds complicated.

If you want to be able to target something, I would suggest using and NPC (set to player quordinates in globals) to be the caster and the player be the targeting arrow. Then have the objects that you can move be other NPCs. When the targeting arrow (player) touches the object (NPC through "player contact") then have that object NPC be deleated and have the player become the object (player map icon) and be where the object was (map position). Then you can have the player move about the object at will.

To put the object down, I would use a keydown event. This would place the object (NPC) where the player was and the player would be moved back to where he was (using the globals said before and deleating the NPC player)

To create the "ring" of where you can move/target the objects, use a "Change Map Tile" event to block off access to a ring around the player. When the "drop" key is pressed, this ring would be changed back to normal.

A few problems are evident in this design. One: the player can't access objects that are beyond a blocked area to begin with. Two: if the "ring" intersects a blocked tile, that tile will become unblocked. Three: If the player walks up to an object and uses it, the player will become the object (this could be fixed with globals. when the spell is cast, have gb_movespell become 1, which allows the player to "pick up" the object. When the object is "dropped" the global goes back to 0, which doesn't allow the player to do anything to the object.) Four: if you have items that change what the player looks like, the player could equip said items while moving the object (can be fixed by using a "Player Control" event)

I hope that helps 😄

My mind is wizzing all over the place... I will try.