Quests

Can somebody quickly explain quests too me? I am pretty new (I've been trying to figure out coldstone for a few days, and eventually turned here) I don't know how to add quests, or how to have it known that they are completedd...for example.... Lets say i want the player to collect 40 of an item, and bring them to a certain person...HOW???

Thanks in advance.

------------------

Originally posted by bodadem:
**Can somebody quickly explain quests too me? I am pretty new (I've been trying to figure out coldstone for a few days, and eventually turned here) I don't know how to add quests, or how to have it known that they are completedd...for example.... Lets say i want the player to collect 40 of an item, and bring them to a certain person...HOW???

Thanks in advance.

Hi bodadem, Welcome to the boards.

If you want your player to be able to view a quest list, the first thing to do is create an item (book, scroll, sheet of birchbark) and label it something a little more original than "My Quest List" although that would do.

When you double click this item in your items list, you will open the "Item Editor" and in the section for links/use, you will place a task control for each quest you have. If this is for a plug-in, it is best to start each task control with "delete all" and then add in each quest that is pertinent to that point in the game. Conditionals on the left side and Task Controls on the right side of your edit box will keep things in proper order. An Engine Call needs to be placed at the bottom of the left column to access the quest record during play. When the quest is completed, you need to change a global so that the conditional which placed it in your task list is no longer true.

To collect 40 gizmos and bring them to the Gizmo Redemption Center, you need to make a global which will count gizmos. In the gizmo action link (item editor again) which is on the tab for "display" you need a "change global" which adds 1 to the count each time you pick one up. When you get to the Gizmo Redemption Center you need an event that checks your global (conditional: does player possess 40 or more gizmos) and, if true, removes them from inventory and rewards you with the Gizmo Collecting Award. The only way I know to remove 40 gizmos from inventory is to place 40 item wizards in this event which each drop one gizmo. If there is a shortcut to this, I'd like to know it because I've got the same scene in my plug-in.

I hope that has been of some help, post back if you need clarification. Good luck! ~RD

------------------
My Doctor said I was having too much wine, women, and song - so I gave up singing because 2 out of 3 is not so bad.
The (url="http://"http://www.evula.org/rduck/")Kingdom of Garendall(/url) sectional map is easily printed from gif format pages.
Find those areas you missed the first time around. You'll want to explore those hidden areas now made accessible with Spells Expander.

Its actually not for a plugin....its for a new game that i am making...i posted my idea here...check it out.... i still dont understand....its all too confusing.....can u go through it step by step for me? Thanks in advance.

------------------

**Its actually not for a plugin....its for a new game that i am making...i posted my idea here...check it out.... i still dont understand....its all too confusing.....can u go through it step by step for me? Thanks in advance.

Which part do you not understand, the quest log or the gizmo collecting or both? Step by step could get rather lengthy. I don't mind that but I don't want to chew up space with things you don't need. BTW, I am more familiar with plugins but I think the principles would be the same.

------------------
My Doctor said I was having too much wine, women, and song - so I gave up singing because 2 out of 3 is not so bad.
The (url="http://"http://www.evula.org/rduck/")Kingdom of Garendall(/url) sectional map is easily printed from gif format pages.
Find those areas you missed the first time around. You'll want to explore those hidden areas now made accessible with Spells Expander.

I would like it all step by step please...if possible...ThX

------------------

**I would like it all step by step please...if possible...ThX

Ok, The Quest Log: 1.) under "file" select "New -> Item" 2.) first tab is "General". At the top pulldown select "special" You do not need anything else here, but make sure that "price" is set at zero. 3.) go to next tab "Display" and select a graphic that you want to appear in the inventory list and have it show in the top picture box. 4.) go to the fourth tab "Links" and highlight "Use" 5.) at the bottom of the page, click on the word "Edit" and this will bring up an event screen. 6.) drag a "Task List Control" over to the right half of this event screen and give it a unique name "My first quest" 7.) doubleclick "My first quest" and a new box appears. 8.) fill in the blanks: at the top left select "add" from the pulldown, in the top middle place a unique code for this quest (I suggest something like XYZ001), and at the top right, a brief title for the quest (Kill the Bad Guys), then in the middle larger box type a longer explanation (The princess has ordered you to kill all the bad guys or you will not get any dinner tonight) 9.) when you are happy with the title and description (the ID # will never show) click on the little + sign and the quest will appear in the list at the bottom. 10.) click on "OK" bottom right. 11.) now, if you haven't done so already, you will have to have globals set at various points in you game. In the event where you are talking with the princess and she says, "Go kill all the bad guys or I won't have the cook make your dinner." you need to have a global set. (i.e. gb_princess = 1) 12.) back to the item editor, event screen. Drag a conditional over to the left half and name it "? princess = 1" 13.) doubleclick the conditional and another screen comes up. Select gb_princess from your list of globals on the top left, select "is equal to" from the choises in the middle, and type in "1" on the top right. 14.) now click the small + sign and the condition appears in the box in the middle. 15.) at the bottom, click and hold on the arrows appearing to the right of "If true do ....." and select "My First Quest" 16.) click "Ok" 17.) drag an "Engine Call" over to the left side of the item event box 18.) doubleclick this and find "Open player's task list" and click then click "OK". This last is only done once, but it should always be at the bottom of the list no matter how many conditionals are above it. 19.) now you can close the task list event screen and highlight the word "Drop" on the Item Editor Link tab. 20.) set a condition for dropping that will never happen. 21.) close everything and save.

As you begin to understand how the parts of Coldstone work, it becomes easier to construct your game. With what I've just outlined, perhaps the 40 gizmo scene makes more sense. If you still can't figure that one out, ask back but it really all comes down to globals and conditionals.

I hope I've helped. ~RD

------------------